Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound cutting out when I push volume up

Options
  • 14-01-2022 7:23pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have 2 numark mixer dm 950 and a dm 905, the 905 has a rec/master inputs but the 950 doesn't. I want to get started recording mixes so would have to use the 905 but whenever I have the dm 905 hooked up to my speakers (I have these speaks https://www.planetdj.com/numark-m-1-black ) when I push the volume up on the mixer on the 905 the sound keeps cutting out where as on the 950 this doesn't happen at all and I don't have any sound issues, any ideas what the issue could be?

Forgot to mention I have third mixer a Gemini and have the same issues, static noise/cutting out when the volume fader is being pushed up.

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Seems like you're redlining. Meaning you're trying to push to much signal through where it's not designed to go. Trim your levels back from the begining of the chain and very gradually bring up along the way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That didn't work, I think it could be a dirty fader as it only happen with the volume vader on channel 2, I'm gonna get some contact cleaner and see if that sorts it, otherwise it might be time to buy a new mixer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Contact cleaner seems to have sorted this issue but while recording a mix, about 35 minutes into it while I cueing up the next record over the headphones and I noticed this loud hum and then I realised one speaker was working, the other had a hum through it, so I stopped and turned everything off and back on again and it seemed to gone but it came back, would this be a ground loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Did you manage to get this sorted?

Usually when something goes like that for me it has usually always been faders or pots that is the culprit.....

It possibly could well be a ground loop, but usually only experienced that with laptops also plugged into the same mains...

Have you tried a ground loop isolator just to be sure?

Something like that would do

Sorry only seeing this now, nah its still happening randomly, I even brought a new mixer and it still happens, I know its about to happen because I can hear static on the cue and one side of the headphones will cut and then one speaker will cut out, I tried ground loop isolator but that didn't sort it, its a pain in the ass, I was recording a mix last week or the week before and I had to stop it because of this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Are you using turntables?

Both grounded I assume?

Could be a gammy needle maybe?

Or you know where the small four coloured cables connect to the stylus?

Or even the turntable itself, is it happening on the 3 mixers?

If happening on the 3 mixers has to be turntable/CDJ or whatever you have going into it...

Did you try change RCA cables also?

ya using turntables, could very well be the needles as the decks are 21 years old and I never changed them (the needles). Both grounded, its happens on the gemini and this new one (which is a numark) but I have another numark and its never happened on that one but that one doesn't have a rec out, I dunno would that make any difference though. I haven't tried different deck rca cables only because there damn expensive, well the ones with grounds on them.

thanks for your suggestions mate.

Advertisement