Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building contractors and VAT.

Options
  • 14-01-2022 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I’m just curious. A building contractor can claim back the VAT on materials. He builds a house, and presumably doesn’t pass on the Vat to the client but because his services are at 13.5 % , the govt get the 13.5% VAT?. Say cost of house is 300k plus 13,5…the govt get 13.5?.

Now as a self builder, by self builder , I mean project managing and subbing out different elements of the build to different contractors … I wonder is self building a folly?. I am paying 23% on all materials and am paying the 13.5% to each contractors coming in…

in the uk, I believe the Govt give a tax rebate on materials to self builders..

now, people still say you will save by doing a self build, but if you do (presuming you are not a chippy or plasterer etc), then doesn’t it point to the fact the vast profits are being made by builders on individual houses???

I am doing ok budget wise.. about 2/3 through.. so I’m not giving out… just teasing this out in my head…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Moggaman

Now before you say , ‘sure aren’t u paying cash to everyone’… the answer is no.. I’d like to but they are generally tax compliant..

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭eusap

The real question, is more than 2/3 of the cost of the build for materials, if yes then the contractor should charge 23% VAT on there bill

Advertisement