Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing HDD in ZGemma H7S with SSD

• 15-01-2022 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have a H7S, it has an old 1TB HDD in it. There's ~800GB showing as free space at the moment. I also have a 480GB SSD that I was planning to put into the ZGemma to make it silent. Couple of quick questions I hope:

1. Can I clone the HDD to the SSD? I have a desktop PC with space to plug them in internally (the SSD is currently in the PC actually), but do the file systems involved make this an issue?
    2. If I can clone the disks, is there an issue in cloning from a larger HDD to a smaller SSD, even though the used space will fit fine?
    3. If I can't clone the disks, all I need to keep from the old HDD is the recorded TV shows. Is it just as easy to copy all of the files from the HDD onto desktop PC (via filezilla) and then copy them back onto the SSD when it's installed?

Are there any other items stored on the HDD that I would need to be worried about before I rip it out?

Sound in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The SSD should be formatted to EXT4 for best results. Windows may not handle EXT4. Cloning from a larger drive to smaller might cause issues. The main things to copy from the old drive are the "movie" folder, the picons folder and crossEPG folder (if they are on the old HDD) and the backups folder (assuming you did make regular settings backups on the box). You might be able to access the box from within the PC file explorer if they are both on the same network or use filezilla as you say.

When you install the SSD into the box, it is best to use it's menu to "initialise" the SSD. This will format the SSD to EXT4 and erase everything on it. Then you can restore the folders from your PC with explorer or filezilla.

Advertisement