Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashling Murphy RIP - a discussion *please read the OP before posting*

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What a horrific story. Stuff of absolute nightmares. Another family in this country destroyed. I hope justice is done and her family can find some closure in that. Not that anything could help you forgot or ease your pain.

This person may get a long prison sentence. But the family has received a life sentence.

Just wants to express my condolences to her family and friends. Odd are some are on boards and see these threads.

RIP Ashling Murphy

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It's about starting at grass roots and instilling respect of both genders.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think it's insulting to the family and those who were close to her who are actually grieving to say society is grieving too.

What we actually have is shock mixed with a tragedy being hijacked by the usual suspects for political ends, a media class that's completely lost the run of itself ( and acting in a completely disrespectful way) along with Twitter narcissists who want to make this more about themselves than about any greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

Douglas Murray refers to it all brilliantly in his book "the madness of crowds". Essential reading in my view for what its worth.

He surmises that most causes these days are like a train entering a station but they over shoot the platform. They go beyond equality. They over compensate.

Be it gender pay gaps, metoo, racial quotas etc.

All I have witnessed since this poor girl died is male persecution. And im genuinely not on a wind up saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Back to the fix?

there is no fix.

only thing I can think of to try decrease/lessen violence against people is laws whereby if caught and convicted of violent assault, depending on the extenuating/mitigating circumstances, you can face between 20-60 years mandatory sentences with no parole..

and murder should mean you leave prison only in a coffin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭patnor1011

So called wolf whistle is pretty much IQ giveaway. If you see a guy doing it you better steer away as it is clear sign that such individual does not have enough in brain department. On the other hand it was here since like forever and perhaps it provided some aid for similarly minded people for some sort of "matching".

I asked my wife and she too had to change route of her daily run because of a creep who started to hang around one place far too often for it to be just coincidence. It happens but not as often as we are led to believe these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭bigroad

Maybe people should look at the recent murder in Enniskerry over the Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

The direction this thread is going is a triumph for common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

Eradicating uncouth behaviour would not have saved this girls life.

If say she was subjected to extensive bullying or sexual harassment at work by a male that drove her to commit suicide, then this whole fandango about men needing to change would be a valid thesis.

She was murdered in broad daylight by a murderous looper. The fact he is a man is incidental. a psycho is a psycho.

That woman who killed her 3 children didn't have the propensity to do it because she was female. She did it because she was mentally unwell.

Aisling wasn't murdered because of the perpetrators male-ness. She was murdered because of his psycho-ness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Douglas Murray is great.

The narrative that is being pushed at the moment is just going instill more fear in young women than is necessary and make young men feel even more the cause of all the world's ill's than they already feel.

We have a mental health crisis in this country and this narrative can only worsen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Ah good, we’re gonna turn it from all men to all foreigners! Or do you mean it’s just all foreign men! 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was hoping this thread could be used to reflect the wider discussions taking place following this horrific murder and allow constructive discussion of the fears women face on occasion. Alas the thread has now been infested by trolls, and I'm closing it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement