Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was called “a child” by neighbour!

• 15-01-2022 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Not sure where to post this but after a few drinks and need to vent. Invited neighbours over for lunch, just a slice of pizza and a glass of white, married couple.

I have a thing where I spread mayonnaise on the top of my pizza, I know it’s a bit weird and I can take the piss out of myself easily enough, but half way through the lunch the wife brought it up playfully to which I told her that’s just what I do and then the husband said very pointedly “you’re such a child” in like a non-jokey kind of nasty very direct voice? Only afterwards now I am starting to feel a bit angry and hurt over this especially since they were guests in my home

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

Comments

• mayo on pizza?

mate you’re lucky all he did was call you a child. I’d call the police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And your reply should have been "I know" as you munched away. Just let it go and nurture your better inner child!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

He should have beeb able to bite his tongue. I can see why it would annoy you.

Are you sure he said it in the tone you meant though, and it wasn't a poor effort at joining in the joking?

Maybe it's more likely that he just came across wrong than intentionally said something dickish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Annoying. Some people are just arseholes.

I will never forget being a teen and staying as a guest in a household being told off for dunking biscuits in my coffee by the nominal head of the houselhold; pointedly, and not in a friendly way, while he literally had a biscuit in his hand which he was dunking himself.

I am rather surprised his mother didn't pull him up on it, as we were her guests and he was only the nominal head as his parents had gifted the property to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Whats wrong with mayo on pizza? Nice when you got a dip to dunk it into.

I get where you are coming from tho. The comment itself is nothing. Like a million other things that could have said which would have been worse. But the way he said it. After you inviting him and his wife over for wine and pizza. But if you feel he was being a jerk have nothing to do with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭iwasliedto

You were a teen, teens get annoyed at these things, adults should not give a shiiitttee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

What he said was ridiculous, how is it childish to spread mayonnaise on pizza. Plus he was a guest in your home, so unless it’s missing context yep it was rude.

But tbh your reaction to it seemed a tad childish!!! Getting so wound up and starting a personal issues thread 🤭

• In fairness he bought wine n pizza for them both to share with him

now, as I said, I’d call the police if I saw this happening, but if someone came into my house after I invite them in for some food and drinks and they felt appropriate to not just pass comment on how I eat, but call me a child?

He wouldn’t be invited back anyway.

edit: typo

That should be your answer, don't invite him back if you feel hurt. I still would not care aboutwhat he thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

People like this are so insecure that they actually think there is a decorum to how you eat a slice of **** pizza.

It's just a strange affliction that some people have for whatever reason. Tends to be the biggest philistines actually who have the most rigid view on such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Maybe he didn't want to go there and doesn't want to be invited back so made an ignorant comment so you won't ever invite them back again.

Win win for both of ye really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Maybe you only thought he said it in a nasty way because you had a few drinks taken. I couldn't understand someone saying something like that to your face for real without it being a joke in some way.

Hmm.

I have a feeling your neighbour didn't like the jokey banter between you and his wife, so felt the need to put you down, in front of her.

I could also be completely wrong.

What kind of mayonnaise? I'm a Heinz person myself. Hellmans is yuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,774 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I wouldn't let it bother me one bit. Nor would I give a sh1t what your neighbour thinks. I might try mayo on pizza to see what it's like 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Crusts dipped in mayo yum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This.

Not sure what age you are OP, but life is so much better when you genuinely do not care what other people think of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's hardly that odd anyway, I mean they serve ranch with pizza a lot of the time to use as a dip, mayo isn't that far off ranch ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Sounds like a great result. No need to have your neighbours over again. 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You've asked a question you feel annoyed, which you have asked about. It's the purpose of the forum.

There's a few spare pricks that feel the need to tell you how they're emotionally hard as nails and don't care what other people think. I'd best ignore these people, because you don't need their opinion.

Now, you invited 2 people into your home, you, feel the comment of one of them was insulting. From the outside, it's hard to know the mood, he may bit have meant it as an insult, he may have come across as "non jokey and nasty"

If that is true, there's more to it than that. And there may be some animosity he holds for what ever reason. And it may be a case that you're reading too much into it

If its the former, he'll have an opportunity I'm sure to to have another dig, and a pattern forms. If it doesn't, I suspect it's a misread situation.

Garlic mayo is a regular dip with pizza. Spread of reg mayo over it is odd, but not as out there as the first time someone put pineapple on a pizza!

• Advertisement

You should have followed it by half a tin of pineapple and waited for their reaction.

But seriously, what a tool. Don't invite them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Your right to be pissed as the tone it seem the comment was made is was intended to be a little sly dig. Bigger picture, you now know this person can be a twat and you apart from butchering a pizza don't need to put up with that in your home. Let it go but don't let them away with it next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Mayonnaise on Pizza, must try that, sounds good. Yer man’s a dick btw…

Some people are just rude and pass remarkable. It says a lot more about him than it does about your use of mayonnaise on a pizza.

I just see incidents like that as insight into someone’s personality and use them as a way of avoiding wasting my time and energy interacting with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Not sure I would be all that bothered about being called a child if all I did was put mayo on pizza.

Not sure anyone could be all that serious about calling someone out on putting mayo on a pizza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I hate wasting the edges of pizza base so I squirt some garlic mayo to make them tasty... I'm completely with OP here - there is no wrong way to eat food as long as we enjoy it. And I agree that a guest should have been more ethical. However, as mentioned by others, it shouldn't have been taken seriously. It most likely was intended to say as a joke but didn't sound like. Not a big deal... I also find myself oversensitive when someone jokes about me, and get a bit angry. That's not the best way to react to these kind of situations... I can feel a sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

classical narcissistic behaviour :rolleyes:

OP I'd run a mile ...

or maybe it was just a jokey comment that fell flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I've never heard of mayo on pizza but each to their own and I wouldn't care one way or the other. I put brown sauce on everything...mayo in sandwiches or with tuna that's it for me.

But the hubby sounds like a complete dick for saying that and quite frankly strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,551 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm glad somebody has asked the important question. Heinz of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭dockysher

Quote by Osho: “The greatest fear in the world is the opinion o...” “The greatest fear in the world is the opinion of others, and the moment you are unafraid of the crowd, you are no longer a sheep, you become a lion. A great roar arises in your heart, the roar of freedom.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭abff

I wasn’t there and I don’t know your neighbour, so I can’t be certain how to interpret the tone of voice he used. But it seems to me that the most likely situation was that he was saying it in a mock serious scolding tone of voice. Unless there was some prior friction between you, I’d say that is by far the most likely explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ask him to try it and tell him it will change his life, then quickly produce (privately or else the joke won't work) a tub of "gentlemens relish" and generously cover his slice with enough to impregnate half the country , then watch as he tucks in, if he doesn't like it it doesn't matter to be honest...then make jokes about getting his zinc rda etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Hopefully OP, your anger has eased by now.

I'll close this one off as the OP isn't asking for advice.

Thanks all

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement