Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum age to own and use a firearm?

Options
  • 15-01-2022 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

My grandson who is 16 years old is taking an interest in shooting. I have had him to my range a couple of times now and I'm hoping to get him shooting gallery rifle and benchrest. Today he joined the range as a full member.

His father, my son, owns a Ruger 10/22.

Question is.... can my grandson co. license his father's 10/22, and shoot it in his own right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Quick answer is, Definatly yes, im sure Cass will be along to fill in the spaces.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yes.

Full license (no supervision necessary, legal to possess/use the firearm on his own) can be got at 16. As its a dual licensed firearm he need only use his Father's address, storage details, etc. and make sure to list the firearm will be stored there so he [the Grandson] does not need to go through the touble of getting safes, etc. (assuming he may live at an address different to his Father).

Minimum age for a training license is 14 and only under supervision of the fully licensed person/owner, but that doesn't apply in this case.

There is no minimum age for ranges. There is also no licenses needed for range only shooting (only unrestricted firearms though). Most ranges will impose a minimum age for either the entire range or for certain section such as no under 12s in the full bore, or no children under 6 on the range at all. Both of those are made up examples btw, so any similarities to existing rules of any range is purely coincidence.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Thanks lads.

I was thinking and hoping this was going to be the case. I'm going to give the young lad training and coaching, and hopefully he will be winning the medals this coming year.

And he will have the use of my firearms, Benchrest and gallery rifles to get him up to speed ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Just to add he can't buy a rifle legally.

So if he want's his own, it will have to be "gifted"

As far as I remember .....

Correct, but no need for whispering or muffled voices when speaking about it (its not a trick or dodgy dealings). It must be bought for him but slipperyfox is right he [Grandson] cannot buy it himself even with written consent/permission from a parent or guardian. SI 493/2010.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Hmm, anyone know off the top of their heads what the minimum age to shoot at Midlands is?

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

I think, and its only a SWAG based on loose memory, its 12 for the full bore range and I'm not aware of any on the rimfire range.

All children must obviously be kept under strict control/supervision and they must have full ear defenders/protection. Best to check before traveling as its been a few years since my young lad was that age and things may have changed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Anyone know what the minimum age is to shoot a shotgun (when supervised by the license holder) on land with permission from the landowner?

14 is the minimum age you can get a firearms training cert. This would would allow for shooting a shotgun under supervision on land with permission.

Advertisement