Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Open 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

As much as it pains me to say it as I believe he’ll surpass both Nadal and Federer as the GOAT he did himself no favours here. All he had to do was get jabbed, end of.

As for the crowd having played the game since I was a young fella the one thing that goes against tennis is it’s up it’s own hole’ness.

An interested and engaged crowd is exactly what the game needs. It needs people not to think it’s boring old tennis that’s only for elite snobs.

Same with golf.

Let people have fun, cheer, boo, etc.. let the game blossom into something other than an old foggey game full of snobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Just thinking, if Medvedev had been disqualified yesterday which he should have been, what a complete joke the tournament would have been, no number 1 or number 2 seed. They couldn’t get rid of him as well after what they did to Novak so it’s been quietly ignored though I think I did hear that he was fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I’ve played for years as well and I don’t recognize your description. I have no idea how you can say it’s full of snobs.It’s very difficult to play when there’s a load of noise. I don’t think booing is considered good form in any sport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Djokovic’s treatment..

They couldn’t get rid of him as well after what they did to Novak...

😂

Continuing to pursue this narrative won't make it any more true.

Anyway, thoughts on tomorrow morning? Should be a close one. Medvedev really should win this, but he might be up against the most motivated Nadal there's ever been. Will probably come down to who's feeling the freshest at this stage of the tournament, which given their respective ages should be Medvedev. I dunno, I'm leaning towards Nadal, but I honestly think it's 50/50 between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah I like Medvedev but he definitely crossed the line there. When Serena had her melt down in the US Open final and then played the men do this all the time card (and the tennis world suddenly faced an influx of opinion from people who'd barely ever watched a match) I thought absolutely they do not, I had never seen any player male or female talk to an umpire like she did that night. Medvedev absolutely screaming at the umpire would be up there with it though.

Umpire didn't seem too upset by it anyway 🙂

Don't forget the OG Serena one tho - the 2009 US Open semi-final - where she told that little oriental lady...

'If I could, I'd shove this ball down your throat and kill you'

That varies a bit from "Are you stupid" etc, even if shouted.

The 2018 US Open final one she came out with "liar", "cheat", " but, because I’m a woman" -> it really seemed like "is it 'cos I'm black" was on her tongue, so much so that it didn't even need to be said the implication was so patent.

The 2009 semi-final actually a decent quality match with a bit of a rivalry history and proper intensity to get behind - don't really see that combination anymore on that tour in the era of multiple fly-by-night WTA GS winners.

On the Med - Nadal match I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I see Nadal being well beaten here - maybe 4 sets but could easily be 3.

Medvedev is a consistent player and good defensively.

And much more accomplished overall compared to their last GS meeting in the US Open final in 2019.

Nadal, especially the later career version, likes to rely more on people making mistakes when applying some pressure to a weakness, as opposed to actually really hitting winners - a la Berrettini and his poor backhand.

Med doesn't really hav,e a glaring weakness, has a dominant serve and can be consistent in long rallies and can also hit a decent amount of winners himself if he is smart in his correct shot selection for the opponent.

Nadal will be really be looking to take the opening set as he knows that he has faded in later sets in this tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Ah usually when somebody says their favourite song from an artist is some random b side they are a wannabe hipster. I think claiming your favourite player was Mathieu is a similar concept haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I agree Nadal definitely has to win the first set to have any chance, all those injuries and age are catching up with him now, in his prime he could match any opponent for stamina (Djokovic possibly only exception), so was happy playing long points and wearing down his opponent, he has had to adapt his game in the last few years to shorten points as he can no longer rely on outlasting his opponent.

Medvedev really should win, but, it's definitely not beyond Nadal to do it. Also if Medvedev does win it would be the first time in open history that a male first time slam winner would follow up by winning the next slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

If Rafa gave up that lengthy routine he'd conserve a lot of energy. It's tiresome even watching it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No wonder players give out about shot clock consistency- starting it 5-15 seconds afer Nadal point ends. When the 3rd game ended there the 60 second countdown started instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Already looks to be game, set and match. Very difficult to see Nadal winning this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Medvedev playing a great game at the moment. I think he had this match he moving Nadal around the court, practically doing to Nadal what nadal has done to many opponents. Think Medvedev is going to be man who will domininate the sport.

Looks ominous indeed for Nadal here, Medvedev just rock solid and impossible to hit through. Nadal's forehand pretty feeble today so far, think he'll need a big drop in Medvedev's level to stand any chance.

Nadal has never won a hardcourt GS final having lost the first set.

Medvedev is like a wall everything coming back. I have never seen someone sweat as much as Nadal.

Aww that's a shame, surely all over now. For all his talents I don't think Nadal is getting out of this hole!

• Advertisement

Unusual elongated set there where Med's serving level dropped way off

Not a fan of Nadal's pusher slice stuff tbh

But Med asked himself again "What would Novak do?" and came up clutch in the breaker at 3-5 down

He has broken the heart of the dogged grizzled warhorse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

I think you are right, but I wish you were wrong!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Fail to see what "Novak" has to do with this. He's no where near the level Med is showing at the moment. Very impressive stuff, his defence is unreal.

All over for Nadal now, damage limitation really. Still, when we consider where he was a few months ago, getting to the final and making it competitive, is some achievement.

Unless Medvedev gets injured I can't see how Nadal wins this match.

It was a reference to this from umm ... a few days ago.

A reference to Medvedev's own reference.

Hardly a stretch.

He's able to pull it out in the clutch moments in a similar fashion.

'WHAT WOULD NOVAK DO?' – DANIIL MEDVEDEV CREDITS DJOKOVIC FOR TWO-SET COMEBACK AT AUSTRALIAN OPEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Delighted to see Nadal getting trashed.

• Advertisement

Could Nadal stop scratching his balls and picking his arse for just one point?

Why are the vip’s always put at one of the ends of the court?? Imagine going to Croke Park and put up in the Hill 16, Davitt or even the other end. I’d hand back my prawn sandwich and go do a bit of shopping in Brown Thomas.

Yay, a fourth set it is! Like even if Nadal gets bagelled here it's still preferable to straight sets, nobody wants that for a grand slam final.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

A thrashing was the French Open 2008 final. This isn't that.

Sloppy stuff from Med on that gimme at the net in his game.

Between that and the break points he had should have finished it off in that set.

Some bad shot selection at times from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Game Set Match Nadal.

All over, once he lost the 3 BP's at 0-40 it was over for Medvedev.

Well done Nadal, 21 Slam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

If Nadal hadn't thrown away that second set, he'd be looking pretty good now.

Unlikely he can win now, but at least he's putting up a fight

Medvedev mentally just crumbling here. He seems to care more about the crowd then the fact he is in a grand slam final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Becoming the greatest isn't suppose to be easy.

There is no way Nadal is the greatest. I put the order as Federer, Djokovic then Nadal in 3rd.

Federer racked up a lot of slams after Aggasi and Sampras retired, he had no competition for so many of his slams.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

Could be an epic here. Still fancy Medvedev. Pity Rafa threw that 2nd set away.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

Nadal is the only winner here...

winner of a 5 setter is never anyone who was 2-0 up.

Momentum always with the leveller.

Medvedev just needs to refocus and he should win. His decision making has been really poor and he is playing a 35 year who cant get a first serve in.

Incredible from nadal

• Advertisement

Wasn't expecting a 5th set in this, then again should never write nadal off

Medvedev blowing his chances here like he blew the third set

Drop shots are very poor mostly and should be ... dropped

His backhand is the most effective shot - should be using that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Was listening to BBC 5 commentary for a bit while I was out, staggering bias towards Nadal with the screeching excitement on every point he wins. Could try making a little less obvious.

Med only a few points away now, could end fast, Nadal needs to win his game cleanly and take the set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And he did win and it’s going to a fifth set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

still question marks about Medvedeev mentally

He's only got over the line once in a major - and that was with Novak having a breakdown on court

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

Amazing if he pulls this off

Wow! If Nadal loses this after coming back from two sets down he'll be gutted. Momentum is indeed with him, but difficult to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Australian open radio are comparing this final to Rocky IV which is a bit nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

Amazing anyone thinks Med has any chance .... this match was over when he lost the 0-40 3 break points at 2-1 in the 3rd.

Advertisement