Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthcare

Options
  • 16-01-2022 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,

My wife and I have been living and working in Ireland for around 3 years, with no need to see a doctor, as yet.

I'm originally from the UK, and she's from Asia.

We both get the same national healthcare service, as Irish citizens, as far as I'm aware?

How much is a doctor visit, in general?

You don't have to pay for hospital surgeries?

Is it worth getting health insurance, what with waiting lists being quite high, right now?

Thanks for any help.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

GP visit is usually €50-€70.

Inpatient treatment in a hospital is €80 per day capped at €800 in any calendar year.

A&E is €100 but this is waived if you have been referred from your GP.

Outpatient treatment is generally free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Corkyboy

Thanks for that G_R.

👍

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Just to sum up.

There are three basic health care systems.

1. If your income and savings are below a low threshold, you get a Medical Card (which is means tested). This entitles you to many benefits, such as free GP, low cost prescriptions, no A&E charge, etc. The threshold is very low. Over 70s are in a different system. You still go through the pubic system, with waiting lists.
    2. Private health insurance, which, depending on cover purchased, give cover for many aspects, but more importantly, allows you to access the Private Hospitals if covered, so jumping the waiting lists, which to some is very important..

Public patient, where you pay for GP (~€60), A&E (€100), prescriptions (over ~ €120 per month is covered by HSE), and a few other charges.

Check citizens advice website.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Monthly prescription cost limit has been reduced to €100 as of January. Note that this is a family rate, and family includes any and all conventional (same or mixed sex) but unmarried relationships should someone else find this thread.

Can't remember what the rate in £ was when it was first introduced, but between euro conversion and inflation, I'd guess this is about the same impact as the original rate was in the 90s - it has dropped every year for quite some time but I think it might not drop again.

Get yourselves registered for DPS now, just in case. I would still recommend health insurance if you can afford it as access time to even basic screening can be appalling in the public system. However, once diagnosed, critical care for urgent conditions in the public system here is as good as you could possibly get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Corkyboy

Cheers for that fokes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement