Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining The Party (I hope)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

I love that report. Short and sharp 😁 just like your race. Well done again! 2:45 next!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Hi everyone,

I decided to put together some kinda report for the race yesterday so I'll begin with the splits.

Splits

1.   6:27

2.   6:11

3.   6:20

4.   6:20

5.   6:22

6.   6:22

7.   6:18

8.   6:13

9.   6:16

10. 6:17

11. 6:22

12. 6:13

13. 6:14

14. 6:25

15. 6:23

16. 6:18

17. 6:20

18. 6:20

19. 6:23

20. 6:22

21. 6:29

22. 6:46

23. 6:28

24. 6:30

25. 6:42

26. 6:47

0.30 – 6:06

Chip time 2:48:08 PB by just under 2 mins.

So this was a weird build up to this marathon. Emotions were raw and sleep a huge issue for me. Added to that Id had problems with the Achilles and calf on one side and the glute/groin on the other so my training had been interrupted at a bad oul time. Still, I'd had a great programme training wise and knew I was in good shape.

Headed down the morning of the marathon with Peter and Dunga. I drove. We were a bit later than intended but made it to the bag drop in plenty of time. Peter of course had no gels or vasaline with him so I gave him one of mine. 3 would have to do me. Not part of the plan but what do you do? Ive never really approached a marathon feeling as meh about it but that's where I was even yesterday morning. Anyhow I went up to the start line and tried to jostle into some kind of position. Way back. First mile I siad I wouldnt but I weaved a bit. Second mile far too aggressive. I should have just thrown the first mile and ran at pace but I made up the difference. On Mile 3 I felt a stitch. For some reason I had been finding it hard to get a good gulp of air in all week and I felt like a stop and pain when I tried to get a deep breath. This was early for that craic. I held my side and got some air in. I 'caught' myself running at 5:50 pace and I've no idea why. I was all over the place. So I cut the speed and got back around planned pace.up into the park and I was struggling to run at my planned pace of 6:18s. Found myself chatting to a couple of lads most were looking sub 2:50 one was aiming for 2:45 I was thinking like were not out of that zone but I didn;t feel comfortable at all. Then miles 7-10 had some merciful downhill and I just let momentum carry me. The side wasn't as sore now and my breathing more regulated though mostly through the mouth.

11 I let it back a bit and then 12 and 13 got back on track. My pace on my watch had me at halfway about 20 seconds behind time. I was thinking Jaysus if I feel as bad as this and am still punching in these times I'm not so bad. So I just continued and tried to take miles in 1s. 14-15 are slow miles and against the wind. Very tough I was running with a guy called Paul from Clonliffe I think now. He was kinda aiming for the same and when we got 16 in and were back on track pace wise he said lets just coast home. 10 mile coast. Aye Paul...

I think 17/18 are fairly flat or downhill but I could just keep going had no energy for a kick. I took the third gel. Stomach in bits both sides cramping badly so it was just one foot in front of the other. somehow my splits were still in the territory I had aimed for, or within a few seconds. I knew 2:45 was well out of the equation now but I was thinking at about what I could still do. At 2 hours 6 coming through 20 miles I thought a 40 min 10k takes me home. Lads were walking now and the miles felt like marathons. Lucozade sport, anything to try to keep going. I thought if I stop for a second to breathe maybe I can get going again but no dont do that. 21 was brutal and I knew 22 was the Heartbreak hill. I was amazed at some of the people walking thinking he looks much better than I feel! I thought the hill might finish me but I was determined to go on until I couldn't. I was concerned for my own safety but I just thought ah there'll be marshals around to give me medical attention if I need it. I had a plan to kick (even now) when the watch hit 2:35 but I was thinking I might be fit to kick for a minute and not the 15 it might take. 23 miles I was feeling dreadful, bent over and just continuing what felt aimlessly. I got 2 miles in at around sub 2:50 pace and I said to myself well if I didn't really go above that pace then I mustn't be too far away from it. My head was in mush. 25 was painful and slow. Every street seemed to go on forever, when I looked at my watch the distance seemed to crawl. in the distance I could see a load of purple and an announcer as I plodded on I could hear him and it was this Purple Mile, 1 to go. I looked at my watch passing it 25.57. Jesus Christ. I'm gonna have to cover 26.6 miles to finish this. I didn't think my body would do it. I raised my hand to the crowd, I may as well be appreciative. The crowd support was awesome. I don't remember much about mile 26 other than that but the next thing I could read 'Finish.' I wonder can I get there. I checked my time, 2:46 something. Could I maybe raise it? I tried, no response but I wasn't stopping either. A guy passed me and he was going mad at the crowd, I roared and waved and they responded. A guy drew level with me, 2:47:xx was gone so I put my arm around him and we did the last few yards together. I barely had the strength to stop my watch but I'd done it. On my worst day I hung in and ground it out. Sub 2:50. Huge achievement for me.

I'm still in the reflection stage. I didn't enjoy that marathon. The build up was badly sidetracked and I was going through the motions in training which is separate. That's 16 marathons and 9 sub3s, not much left to prove now. 2 this year 2:50 and 2:48. I was at the stage where I wondered if Id ever do another one at the beginning of the year. I'm proud of myself that I was able to tough it out. At the moment I'm thinking no Spring marathon anyway. Not sure I need to do Dublin again. The buzz isn't the same for me now. I don't know if I'm at the stage where I want to step back from all of this, even if I do what am I stepping back to? But putting my body through this just cos I've always done it isn't really sustainable either. It was a harrowing experience yesterday. I'm happy with my time but not with what I had to do on the day. Things are all very fresh now, my stomach is still sore when I breathe in deeply so maybe the running bug will come back soon after a break. I've got so much from running, running people in my area stop and turn when I appear and that does make me proud and thankful.

I'm 37 so there's plenty left in me if I want it. When a few days pass I'm sure I'll realise how well I've done and appreciate it a bit more. One point made to me is that it's rare to have your best day on race day. I did Longwood 3/4 3 weeks ago and smashed it so I expected my marathon to follow suit.

Thanks to everyone on here for the messages and encouragement. It's been massive in my development.

HAha I've fired together something a little more boring for you now!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Mmmuuuuuuahhahahahhahahaha. Let’s just say I hear ya. 2 back to back marathons take a massive toll on you. I’d say take 2-4 weeks off. Cycle, swim, walk but don’t run. Recharge body and mind. If I were you I wouldn’t sign up for a spring marathon but target something in September or take a full year without any (like I do). You will never be over it though. You will get the buzz again and 2:40 is in your reach. 😉 question is, does the time excite you or would you rather just run a marathon and not chase PB after PB (in that case races like lap of the gap or dingle or Connemarathon I would pick. Those aren’t about time but finishing strong).

well done again though. I’m still amazed that I didn’t see you passing me 😂

They really do. I was late getting going si that ruled out a few early spring marathons and I opted for Cork so not much break before DCM block. A week off anyhow. 2:40 feels a distance away whatever about 2:45 I think I coulda done that on other courses or on a better day for me. Ag I’m more into times than scenery! Haha yea I don’t remember that either I wonder when it would have been must check tracker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Brilliant report and very well done on grinding out the sub 2.50.

Your splits didn't suffer like so many others did.

And you're only 37!! - I hadn't even started running aged 37.

Thanks pal. I was semi-conscious writing the report but I just wanted to get it out of my system. I feel like the balance has been running over life lately so I want to get back to that a bit more and address some of the things I've been neglecting. That's a craic for another time. I'm glad you enjoyed the report anyhow buddy. For effort on Sunday I get 11/10. It was the worst I've ever felt in a marathon and so early. I had it in my head that what I used to do was if I got into difficulty then the motto is always "fu*k it, keep on running" so I tried to apply that. Then I thought if I stop it might feel better but it will feel worse when I get going again. So somehow I kept the show on the road. Somehow. I dunno where it came from.

Yea everyone I've seen had their late crisis. I felt horrendous but somehow the numbers defied logic. Every mile beep i was like 'oh, look at that' and then I was thinking ah Jaysus it's yonks until the next one!!!!

Haha yea only a pup. 38 in December so I'll be a big boy in just under 2 years! I know there's more in me than that. Side is still in agony when I twist or turn or breathe in. Very odd. I dunno if that happened because I tied my shorts or the gels or what but could definitely could do without that!!

Thanks again for the comment, much appreciated. I hope your injuries are clearing and you'll be back to it very soon. You were training class stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great honest race report, well done on another great marathon. As everyone else has said, you are only a youngfella, lots left in you! Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Super stuff pal. You certainly didn't look like you were struggling any of the times I saw you 😛

Advertisement