Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia Primary School Ed

• 17-01-2022 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All, any tips on interview for Hibernia PME - son has just applied - all help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

There used to be a number of threads on this Shelly. I’m not sure if they are still available to read.

from my experience a good few years ago. Questions focused on reasons for opting for hibernia course. Strengths. How you will manage the day to day of the course.

Irish questions were very general and ranged from where and how I got to the interview to how important I thought Irish was to teaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Some general Questions:

Why they want to become a teacher.

Why Hibernia.

What do they know about the course..

Knowledge of On-sites and webinars, will they be able to attend all on sites. If they are working how will they plan to keep everything going.

what the teaching practice is about how many times and for how long.(if working, have they asked their current boss about time off )... Do they have a school in mind, have they contacted any schools (it's ok to say no but looks good if student is proactive)

name some of the modules... History of education, Sociology, Psychology, Special Needs, dissertation in 2nd year, Subject Methodologies if Second level.

Favourite Topic within their subject, (e.g. in English, what's your favourite poem). How would you introduce a particular topic to a student. maybe some general knowledge of current course.

Tell me about a time that you tried to resolve a conflict

OR

Tell me about a time where something didn't go according to plan and how you dealt with it.

Or.

What would you do if you had an irate parent saying X, y or z to your principal about you. (Answer that you keep all records of student misdemeanours so always provide evidence).

Not afraid to ask for advice from other teachers in the school.

That was a few years ago for 2nd level so it might have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

I was interviewed by 2 people via zoom last July. I was offered a place but deffered. They ask you if you want to start with the English or Irish . I chose Irish. Started awkwardly as I was asked questions related to my hobbies/background that I hadn't prepared and couldn't answer on the spot, but I struggled on. So be able to talk about your background and interests as gaeilge. Your area. I was asked about my opinion on the covid situation as gaeilge too. Modh coinniollach.

In English I was asked questions about the course itself ( how long you will spend in the Gaeltacht, teaching practice length ).

Why should Hibernia take you on / what would make you a good teacher? Are you aware of the commitment needed to complete masters? Had a question on school kids from a different background. Describe yourself in 5 words. Teamwork examples. Interests you have.

I forget a few questions since it was 6 months ago. Would def recommend Irish grinds with someone who is familiar with the Hibernia Irish interview . DM me if you have any other q's

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lauryn949

I just did my PME interview for Hibernia on Monday. It was on zoom with 2 interviewers, a man and a woman. I was asked if i wanted to start with Irish or English. I chose Irish because i was dreading it for months!! (i failed the TEG exam in January, did some grinds in the lead up to Hibernia) turned out the Irish was so much easier than the TEG! It was short and snappy questions, like the leaving cert. i was asked : what's your name, where are you from, tell me about your area, do you like music, what are your hobbies, have you dont any volunteer work in your area, what will you do after the interview, if you won an air lingus ticket where would you go, why would you go there. It's not really flowing conversation, more so ask question - answer- move on.

The english threw me more than i thought it would. I think it's because i spent so much time stressing over irish. it was still fine though! definitely do-able. I was asked: what do you think the role of a teacher is, teaching and professionalism - discuss, traits of a good teacher, how would you cope with large class sizes and mixed ability classes, i was asked a little bit about autism (only because i volunteered in my local autism support group), describe a time when you used your own initiative, why do you want to be a teacher, why didn't i pursue my degree, what do i know about Hibernia (she was really in-depth about this and i was very flustered as i didn't know specifics) - she asked what % of course is online / in person, how many weeks of placement do you do (i said 7 per year, but its x2 7 week blocks and a 10 week block), and so on....

I think that was all - i cant remember much else as i was flustered hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coyler38

Hi Lauryn, have you heard back yet on your interview? I had mine on Friday July 15th. Really not sure how it went, the wait is awful😵‍💫😣

• Advertisement

@Coyler38 I haven't heard yet! Mine was a week ago today. The wait is definitely awful. Have you heard yet?

@lauryn949 nothing today either, literally checking my emails all day every day 😵 this was business day 6 today, they said it would be 5-10 working days. Losing hope really, I thought it went OK. Irish seemed very relaxed and conversational, a lot of one line answers. But impossible to know.

@lauryn949 I got an email this morning to say i got accepted, over the moon 🤗 Really didn't know how it went.

Hope you hear back soon!

Oh wow! That's amazing. I'm delighted for you! I haven't heard yet... now I'm kind of panicking! I can't handle the wait :(

@lauryn949 I didn't expect the wait to be so bad!

Hopefully you hear back tomorrow, I did mine the day before you so day 7 could be your lucky day 😉🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Advertisement

@Coyler38 I just got word I've been accepted!! I'm over the moon! But the acceptance email did say this: The interview panel noted the need for you to improve your standard of Irish. You will be required to avail of an ongoing Gaeilge support course called Clinic na Gaeilge. This is a mandatory requirement and by accepting your offer, you are agreeing to complete this course. The course will include online sessions, webinars, worksheets, exercises and a discussion forum in order to equip students with the tools necessary to improve their standard of Irish independently. Please note that this course will commence shortly after the programme commences and not before. You will be contacted by our Irish Language Coordinator a short while after the programme commences to firm up the details.

I wonder if many others are in the same boat? I really thought my Irish was okay in the interview! But anyway - I'm in! So happy :)

That's amazing news @lauryn949 huge congratulations!! 👏

I didn't have this noted on my acceptance email so I'm not sure..it said "The College offers an additional support course in Irish called  Clinic na gaeilge should you be interested in taking this course please complete this form"

Such a relief to get in though, we are finally on our way to becoming teachers 😃😃

Comhghairdeas 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kay26

Hi both @Coyler38 and @lauryn949 , I wondered how you’re both getting on with the course and if you did the Irish course you mention? I just had my interview yesterday. I feel my Irish interview went terrible - wondering though perhaps if all is not lost if they might offer a place provided I do this Irish course too? Is it manageable alongside the Hibernia course? Have you enjoyed the course overall? Did you work and study? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 koko1234

Hi @kay26 , I was just wondering what kind of Irish questions you were asked? I have my interview at the end of the week and really nervous for the Irish part. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kay26

hi @koko1234 sorry I just see your message! Best of luck with the interview. I was asked about myself, my family and area then asked to tell them about my school/secondary school and college. I was asked about social media (that one stumped me!!) to tell them about my work, and what I do at work… and if I will go on holiday in the summer. I think that was it in a nutshell! I think nerves got the better of me for the Irish portion. But I see above someone was accepted on the basis they did an Irish course too. So hoping that might be the case!! 🤞🏻😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kob17

Hi @kay26, I’m wondering how your interview went? I just had mine today and feel I’m in the same boat with the Irish, I think getting in on the condition of doing the Irish course is best case scenario for me! How did you get on and how long did your results take?

Advertisement