Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten free bread: suggestions?

• 17-01-2022 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

We used to buy Odlum's gluten-free bread mix (both white and brown) and bake it ourselves. Absolutely delicious toasted.

It appears to have disappeared from the market. Do they still make it?

For the last while we have been buying a brand called Promise, as well as M&S gluten-free sour dough.

The M&S is often hard to get and it contains egg, which don't eat. My wife eats it.

I eat the Promise white sliced pan. It's very good toasted and great for sandwiches. The problem is it's €4.00 a loaf for 10 slices. €0.40 per slice is bonkers.

Any suggestions for cheaper, egg-free, gluten-free bread? (I can't eat bread made with gluten-free oats either. 😑)

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I get the GF bread in aldi. They do a nice multigrain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

If you concern about gluten why not to address some other negative aspects of wheat flour nowadays? Do you think if flour has no gluten its 100% healthy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Interesting question and, no, I have looked into that.

Bread is a convenient source of carbohydrate first thing in the morning. That's the way I look at it, as do most people, I'd say.

It's also a vehicle for containing healthier foods, as in a sandwich. Again, that's how many would look at it, I'm guessing.

I just want gluten-free, egg-free bread that doesn't cost the earth. Oh, and no oats!

Thanks.

D.

Carbohydrates is not essential food source so you know.

You're taking this conversation way away from where my original question was directed.

Thanks for your input, but not what I was looking for.

D.

• Advertisement

I agree, however you have posted in Nutrition forum and today's flour have almost zero nutrients hence my response.

And apologies wheat flour is not a vehicle for healthy foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I buy the Aldi bread too, I think it is about the best and most affordable of the bunch, but it has egg white. I think almost the only possibility is Schar which seems to have no ingredients at all (family joke), I'm not very keen on it, it does taste as though it has nothing in it. One (child) member of the family has a lot of intolerances and several others are gluten/dairy sensitive so we are used to searching around.

While I eat a combination of the Aldi bread and home made oat bread (porridge bread) I am not convinced that the commercial gluten free breads have that much nutrition, but then again refined commercial white bread doesn't have much going for it either, apart from the fortified aspect of the flour. Agreed it makes a useful vehicle for other foods, but I try to limit the amount of commercial gf bread that I eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

That's a silly and inaccurate response, do you even know what "nutrient" means?

It's perfectly reasonable for the OP to want to eat bread, and it's not unhealthy to do so. If you're unable to understand that you probably should post in the Nutrition forum.

OP I'm watching this this thread with interest as I'd also like to find a more inexpensive gluten-free bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

We like Schär Mix B for our own bread but my partner is from South Tyrol so a strong affinity for Schär anyway. Gave up on the prepackaged stuff largely except the odd foray with Genius soft brown farmhouse loaf (egg white). Sometimes it's in SuperValu GF section but in a small bag (maybe 500g). We used to buy it by the case from Amazon but since that isn't an option any more I just buy in bulk from Violey.com. 8-10kg of flour to ship with DHL is about €12/13 and it's quite quick. Never had an issue with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I’ve definitely seen the Odlums gf bread mix in Dunnes recently, mrs seems to like the Promise brand available in Dunnes & Supavalu, There is also a soda bread by McCambridge, I think, likes that too

• Advertisement

Agreed on the soda bread, I had forgotten about that.

There seems to be a few places that make gf bread too, that don't sell to the supermarkets. I have asked a couple of times in cafes/restaurants where they get their bread, often they make their own but have been told about places that just supply restaurants. O'Gorman's bakery in Clonmel make a nice white gf bread, supply is a bit hit and miss though, they make a dozen loaves and you have to be there first thing to get one!

Super replies, thanks.

The Shar mix is new to me. Where do you buy it? Does it have egg white in it?

I've emailed Odlums. Am awaiting a response. Must check Dunnes next time I'm there, too.

Thanks again.

D.

If you would buy whole grains, mill at home and bake within 4 days you would have really good and healthy bread.

Unfortunately what you see in the shops is a highly refined substance that is used in a variety of processed foods and baked goods because it is light, airy and cheap. Unfortunately, refined white flour is completely stripped of its nutrient value, with virtually no vitamins, minerals, or fats to speak of.

And pesticides that sprayed over the crops is to blame for gluten intolerance.

Perhaps buying organic grains and mill at home would be the best option?

I get the Promise brand at SuperValu.

I buy Promise in Dunnes. It's great because it has no egg.

But, as I said in my OP, it's very expensive. €3.99 in Dunnes and €4.40 in my local Supervalu, when I last looked.

Tks.

D.

So if you choose highly processed foods as part of your regular diet. Fine.

But years later don't blame your dna for fatty liver, diabetes, cardiovascular issues and cancer.

What a waste of money. For 3.99 I can buy whole lamb liver full of essential nutrients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's probably a pain to do but you can claim the tax back on food if you require it for a special diet

What a waste of money. For 3.99 I can buy whole lamb liver full of essential nutrients.

But it doesn't taste that great with jam on it.

I've never eaten a gluten free bread that I didn't have to toast.

They're just inedible not toasted, in my view.

D.

Smile.

I don't blame you. Enjoy while you can. Make sure you have good health insurance like PMI 36 13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

M&S is very nice without being toasted especially the seeded brown loaf, but unfortunately most need to be toasted. When i was diagnosed as a Coeliac bread was the hardest thing to find it took me a long time eating various forms of sliced cardboard before i found good options.

It's expensive but if you are a Coeliac then you can keep your receipts and claim for it under health expenses every year.

Thanks for the replies.

Promise now €4.20 in Dunnes. That’s €0.42 per slice. Bonkers.

Didn’t hear back from Odlums - very underwhelmed.

Going to review Dunnes gluten-free breads again this week.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

The Schär mix is egg free. It is available in Dunnes Stores and SuperValu free from sections. Makes nice loaves in our experience. For cost reasons we buy in bulk from Violey with other gluten-free items.

Are you looking for nice looking loaves or nutritious food to keep you going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

Aldi has keto friendly bread out but its expensive.

I was making my own out of almond or coconut flour but its not cheap either and can knock you out of keto if you re on that diet,

making your own is by far the best and most enjoyable

Advertisement