Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mountain bike advice.

• 17-01-2022 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

i recently sold my road bike and decided to buy a mountain bike. So with a budget of between 2000 and 2500, I've looked at different bikes, mainly hardtails from the main manufacturers. But I haven't been impressed by the build or the spec. So I've started to look at secondhand and new bikes. And my attention has now turned to full suspension bikes. I'm 188cm with a 84cm inside leg and weigh 110 kg. I tend to be in between size L and XL. But I think the XK would suit me best.

I've seen two bikes that I'm interested in. A Commencal META TR 29 (2,550 euro) New. And a secondhand Giant Trance 2, which had 27.5 wheels for around 1850 euro. Are 29" wheels a must over 27.5" ? I think the Meta TR is a good base as the frame seems to be pretty good. And the shocks and other parts could be upgraded over time. Plus its got a 3 year warranty on the frame. The Giant is 2 years old, but it does come with a better spec..

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Just a few general comments:

• you don't have to have a full suss to begin with - I'd rather a good hardtail than an average full suss. A lot less can go wrong with a hardtail plus maintenance is a lot easier
    • frames are pretty much all good these days - geometry and build spec is what matters. 3 year frame warranty is not that good - some offer lifetime
    • 29 vs 27.5 - who knows. Rider preference really. Mullets seem be a good solution to the debate
    • upgrading shocks - front forks and rear shock - can be expensive (decent set of Lyriks for example - €800/€900 plus few hundred for a shock. I wouldn't buy the Commencal with a view to upgrading key parts - it will end up being an expensive bike. It has Deore gear and brake sets which are mid level Shimano. 2 pot brakes too which wouldn't cut it for me but I like lots of braking power. I don't think it has a dropper but not sure? IMO a dropper is crucial. A basic Reverb dropper would cost €250, more for stealth. You could easily spend another €1,500 (parts only) to upgrade suspension and add a dropper.
    • Not sure about the specific fork on that bike but a slightly cheaper way to upgrade it could be new spring and cartridge - you'd have to do some research though to see if possible
    • Overall spec on that Commencal is average, everything will work OK but it just depends on whether you'll be taking it handy or going hard / racing. If the bike is just for casual spins, Coillte trails, no racing - it would be fine (except potential lack of dropper!).

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Thanks for the advice, This is all new to me . I'm not even familiar with the group sets and components coming from road bikes.

What would you recommend for the price range? With my sizing, would you recommend a XL over L? I've a longer upper body

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what are you going to ride ? if your local trails are flat the get a hard tail in fact you may even find a gravel bike may cut it

if they are big rocky and gnarly and your going full face full body armour buy the biggest suspension beast you can find.

I picked up a 10 year old commencal meta 5.5 with 26 inch wheels and it's a hoot. (9 speed 203/185mm formula r1 brakes, fox float front and rear. rear wheel was shot and needed tyres, brake pads,saddle and grips)

new bikes are seriously overpriced at the moment.

Yes the bikes are not good value for money these days. I think I'll be doing more trails. Although I do like descents. I'll also be bringing my 8yo work me on a lot of cycles. So a hard tail might be a better bet.

So between these 3 bikes. Which would you choose? Most competent, best value?

Thanks

META HT AM RIDE, META HT AM ORIGIN, Grand Canyon 9

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭covey123

I'm biased here,but highly recommend the meta ht, great fun and excellent all-rounder

• Advertisement

Is it with going the extra from the origin to the ride model? I think the fork of the main difference..

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Main difference seems to the fork alright. On the Ride it has the Debonair spring. Probably worth it. The Ride also has slightly better grips!

In terms of sizing - you have to try yourself. It's a bit of a minefield.

Also - here's a few links from reputable MTB sites - https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/best-hardtail-mountain-bikes/

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/best-hardtail-mountain-bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Two other differences to note on the above bike options is the frame/geometry. The Commencal bikes (both) have slacker head angles (at L/XL) we're taking about 3 degrees 64.5 vs. 67.5 and also have a longer wheelbase, both of which will give a more stable experience pointing the bike downhill and over rough-stuff in general. Also there is more stand-over height.

Advertisement