Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Electrical Certification requirement for ESB Meter moves.

Options
  • 17-01-2022 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi - I'm in the process of renovating a house. It was split into 'main' house above and basement below. There are two separate 24hr Meters in place in the hallway of the House. The basement has been rewired with new fuse-board (based on the new layout) and a new feed cable back to an external ESB meter box. This work will be certified by the Electrician when complete.

As part of the renovation I installed 2x new ESB Meter boxes for the meters to be moved from the hallway to the outside. ESBN came out and agreed location etc

What I did not ask them was, what certification (if any) will ESBN look for regarding the meter feeding the main house? No work has been done here except running a new feed cable from the external meter box back to the existing fuse board. The house was rewired roughly 20 years ago.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Both installations require certification to facilitate meter repositioning.

some groundwork’s will also be required.ie finding Esb cable outside and ductwork to new meter cabinets.

there may be other requirements if this is a multimeter installation. The on-site rec should advise you

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dodgers32

Thanks meercat - The ground work and ducting is complete and ready for the meter moves once the basement is completed.

What is the process to certify the older electrical wiring (the existing house). Does each circuit need to be tested? how is it done?

Is this a big job?

what should I expect to pay to have it certified?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Yes. Each individual circuit needs testing exactly the same as the new basement installation

all outlets will need to be inspected and earthing arrangements checked

if everything is in order then a certificate issued

the on-site rec should give you a quote as he’s most likely to be the most competitive as he’s there already

im surprised this isn’t part of the overall job though

Advertisement