Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Member "No Shows"

Options
  • 17-01-2022 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what do your clubs do when a member doesn't show when they are on the timesheet.

It's definitely bad form and unacceptable behaviour, especially with limited daylight at this time of year.

Do any clubs impose a sanction on members if this happens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

**** all

Empty threats hidden in documents in emails

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I would normally ring them or get pro to ring them to see if turning up. Sometimes you will find they have been put on by friends and didn't even know were on on Timesheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I sent a motion into our place suggesting we charge them something for no shows on the Sunday competition. The day after I sent it in I arrived for a fourball only to find that none of the three I was down with showed up. One had taken his name off the timesheet on the morning (I was playing at 9:10). This was a Saturday, maybe I should have suggested penalising for that day too.

There are lots of genuine reasons you don't make the round on a Sunday. But I'd be glad to pay a fiver for something outside of my control so that more people get out on a Sunday. Because a 5 euro charge will stop people booking a whole line and not bothering to take the names off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

this.....

and club shop will happily tell you that the two ball gone off ahead of you always book the four slots so nobody else joins the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

We charge them the full comp fee. Soon sorts it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Nothing happens for us but repeat offenders are contacted and warned to their future conduct. Having the fee taken from then comp purse would be the right job

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

comp fee is taken by club and suspension from next 2 comps which is being enforced (also suspensions handed out for non return of cards in comps)

in general we have very few no shows

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Comp fee is charged but that doesn't stop the odd no show. Saw 4 groups yesterday with 1 missing and plenty on the waiting list..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Our club sent out an email to all members pointing out that at this time of year with so little daylight its unacceptable to be taking up valuable slots and then not turning up. Not sure if its made much difference though. Bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

its very frustrating

im in 2 clubs, members club is very good, rare there is last minute drop out and nearly never a complete no show

in the other club ive seen more no shows in last year (and i've played very little there in 2021) than in 30 years in main club

saw a lad in a team comp , big day, shotgun, left on his own. rang club, turned out a couple of them just changed team and went to a different tee box as they checked in and said nothing. another event i was also left in similar situation standing on a tee box miles away as my team teed i up on another hole after rejig because of no shows.... (pro shop poor, didn't inform me of change)

it is my understanding that you are charged, (and it could be as much as €35 - credits membership) but there is still a hell of a lot of no shows from what i see and hear

i was mortified 2 weeks ago, sunday afternoon i turned to wife, "holy crap, cant believe what i've done" she thought i just committed a crime or something, but i just remembered i had booked in for 9 that morning and totally forgot about it. thankfully when i checked, i had only considered booking it and didn't actually follow through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It has got out of hand at my club - waiting lists of 30 + and everyone getting on the time sheet in the end. The good thing is the modern booking systems help. But I guess they enable bad behavior too, as there is no consequences .

The waiting list whilst it is a great facility - it is awkward place to be too , am I playing golf or not - how many clowns will remove themselves at 0200 hrs from Club M or Tamangos.

As for the lads playing in the same 4 ball every week of their life - there has to be more to life than that, but good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

On this point...many people want to play with their mates and have no interest in playing with strangers or even having 1 stranger join a group of 3 friends.

Doesn't personally bother me too much but certainly look forward to a round more when i know im playing with mates rather than a random jumping in with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

Money is the thing that talks. So probably a non refundable charge for the slot when booking is the only effective way really

Yes each to their own - I do see groups who are actually uncomfortable with someone coming in. It is an interesting dynamic.

I do feel that, that attitude is a little against the spirit of golf. If you join in with much older gents in a club - they are delighted with the company , actively say nobody should ever be left behind - or "would you like to join us" .

Extreme cliques in golf clubs are not for me - in fact, a bit worse than that at times.

I don't mind people playing in their own groups each week. But if someone isn't coming and they don't free up that spot because they don't want a randomer, they can go fuk themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Long time since i was a member of a club, can't believe all this cr@p is still going on.

Heavy fines & comp suspension is the only answer.

Post edited by Mundo7976 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

You've got till 4pm the day before in my place to cancel your booking or its locked in and you're charged for the comp.

Had 2 brothers in particular who were booking themselves in to midweek opens and booking GUEST on to the spare slots on their line. Then turning up on the day and saying their guest dropped out.

Were caught our for doing it on an almost weekly basis, and told if they did it again they'd have the full visitor fee credited from their accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Our club effectively eliminated guest bookings last year due to a few idiots abusing the feature to hold spots for their clique or stop "randomers" joining as you say. Absolutely no repercussions for them but now it's a massive pain in the hole to get a guest time for all members. I have to ring the pro shop to do this, the day after the slots went live and then pay the guest fees over the phone. This ends up being an impossible task as Saturday is really the only day and it's usually blocked booked out with societies before going live already.

The only workaround is to book a slot online using actual member names before calling pro-shop the following day to amend. This is frowned upon for obvious reasons and those members may already want to play a few holes on Saturday. If they would just accept payment online for guests when the tee sheet goes live it would stop all of this nonsense or punish the original offenders.

The net result is that bad behaviour is never disincentivized AND the club misses out on thousands in green fees over the course of a year. The figure could easily be over €10k for green fees (333 guests X €30 green fee). Based on a guest per day and the figure could be even higher with lost pro shop and bar/restaurant takings.

I was off for a couple of months in between jobs and didn't always manage to get to play in the midweek opens because of this type of thing. The timesheet wouldn't me anything like full, but there would be no spots next to anyone. So you could chance heading out and joining a group that tried to avoid paying with you essentially, or you could head out and find the groups are actually full.

It's the lack of consideration for fellow members more than anything that bothers me. If people acted like that in my hurling club they'd be put in their place. In golf clubs it seems far more acceptable.

• Advertisement

To generalize - golfers could be on the selfish side in the equation of life.

Well..... as golfers yes. But realistically they're the same people. It's more context. If it's acceptable in a golf club people will do it. If it's not they won't. I'm sure there are golf clubs where it's accepted and golf clubs where it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Simple way to solve this just charge them if not cancelled by 6pm the evening before.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

It has become an issue in my club where we usually have weekend waiting lists.

Lads not turning up or taking their name off at 2am - leading to someone coming off the waiting list without being aware of it.

We have just introduced 10 euro fine if you take your name off after 16:30 the day before the competition. You are not eligible to win anything until this has been paid and there will be 1 week playing bans for repeated offences.

We also have 1 week bans for failing to return a score

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

One of the things I tried fix before been kicked off the committee. Its so disfunctional a committee it is REALLY scary

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

I take your point but strangers will always be strangers if no one bothers to play with them.Worse still it might put people off playing at all and where would that leave clubs??..with a few buddies playing in a field as cant afford greenkeepers and upkeep thro lack of new members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Appreciate all the points being made here.

I actually find myself playing better golf when playing with strangers. When amongst friends you relax that bit more, concentrate that bit less and talk a hell of a lot more sh!te.

Still if you gave me the option though i'd rather play worse with mates than better with people i don't know.

Advertisement