Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society (Round 1) Portmarnock Links (19th Feb)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

She'd comfortably cover more than 5k caddying for you on the day 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I wish. She just won’t do Dublin by herself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Guys - there was a good bit of talk in the build up about drop outs. But I wanted to post that covid drop outs are totally different and a personal mater. Please do not hesitate to drop out if any issues at all.

After a few questions and situations around covid in the past. And obviously, a significant number of cases in the country at the moment. We are asking that the HSE guidelines are adhered to. We would also ask people, to not to attend the gathering after if they are advised not to as per below. We will ensure that their prize is delivered to them.

We are a golf society - we have no role in enforcing any of this. But we would ask people to respect the safety of all at the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Ouch !!

Well my dolly is having a jolly in portmarnock spa when i will be on the course. She won't do Dublin on her own. So no chances taken. Priority's taken care of. 🏌️‍♂️

• Advertisement

As was mentioned, in terms of weather we're still too far out to be accurate.

But on Met Eireann we're trending the right direction. Yesterday they were listing 3mm between 9-12. Its down to 1.9mm for the period now

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭paddym1

As a newbie to the Society I'm sorry I can't make it to either of the first 2 outings, but from what I've seen so far I'd like to say well done to all involved in the organisation of the society, the tech, and the outings. Hopefully you will all have a great day out, whatever about the weather and the standard of the golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

Always somewhat torn by these events. Packs the Seed SD-01 or go with the Wilson Ultra's and other finds??

First world problems eh?? 😂

Lol..

Don't worry you'll find plenty on the day too...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Good ball on the 1st tee, then switch to shite balls after losing that good ball on the 1st drive and realising its going to be one of those days 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

I think there should be a prize for anyone that makes it around with the same ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

Exactly the same ball or just the same make??? 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

At the weekend, I started and finished with the same ball but still lost one.Figure that one out..lol

Don't do that 😊 - lads in first 3 groups (anyway) , serious links players , But I agree, there will be a prize , a used ball.

On a serious note - as courses at that tier of Links courses go. It isn't a lose 6/7 ball type of place. Very wild shots can be rewarded and at this time of year the grass has no length or body. Summer - maybe a amateur / pro event coming up, different story.

But - again hit a provo if in doubt.

Just one on travel. Will be travelling up Friday evening.

Coming from M7

Is M50 the best route to portmarnock.

You must have found it later in round on a parallel hole ? has happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Who's got the longest and shortest commute? South Galway myself

I've learnt over the years - when there is high wind speeds you can ignore longer term models in Ireland.

2 or 3 days out after the winds have past.

I wish I could do a Benny on it , open the curtains on the day and that is the weather, the stuff you did as a kid. A great joy in that way too.

Shortest - well some are in hotel , but some are within 3 K - we may have a person from Kerry ? Definite "Coooooooooooooooorrrrrrrk Bhooooooooooooy" - but that is the capital so they haven't far to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Limerick myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Haha, did that before myself but no I thought I went OB on our 10th so played a Gerry Adams and defo went OB with that one, walked down the hole to find 1st one 6 inches in play and very nearly birdied the hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

take the m50 all the way, turn off for malahide. Follow dual carriage way as far as the hilton. Go left there towards malahide and portmarnock is signposted from there. A few narrow enough country roads until you get to the coast. Course is on the northside of the village.

Highly recommend Honey Honey in the middle of the village for a cup of coffee and a ridiculously good breakfast sandwich if you have time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Pretty sure i'll win this, for all the events this year 😂

I'm heading up tomorrow though, doing a few other things tomorrow and Friday, so won't be driving this before the round thankfully.

Thanks Willabur. Looks tasty okay. You wouldn't be trying to knobble me now with that.😜

Would you not fly if you're going that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭swededmonkey

I'm a definite contender for shortest travelling from Sutton. Also very likely i'll be teetering between late and just on time!

As regards the ball. Will have to give at least one sleeve of good given the venue.😀

Nearly 5 hours drive.....dear god thats mental....you fit in well with this bunch.

That is epic - we already have our longest drive winner.

• Advertisement

That's a savage looking feed. I usually just stop at the garage close by to grab something before a round, but may have to change venue looking at that

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

Hi Bakerbhoy , Yes the M50 is the best route , take it all the way to the end , head for the R139 which is signposted Malahide ( Clayton Hotel on left), take 2nd exit on roundabout to stay on R139 , straight on through 3 sets of lights and turn left at the Hilton hotel onto Malahide Road , straight on through the first set of lights and turn right at the Balgriffin Inn onto the Balgriffin Road ( cemetery is on left) , straight on for about 1k and then turn left onto Drumnigh Road , straight on for approx 1 km and turn right onto Station Road , straight on about 1 km passing Portmarnock DART station you come to mini roundabout take 1st left, this is Strand Road , you go on for about 1.5 km through Portmarnock to reach the hotel and Links , dont make mistake of heading to Old Portmarnock golf club , it is a a good bit before the hotel

I guess have a look at timesheet on Friday - and see if a spot later.

You can change your spot on time sheet if something comes up.

I beat you, I am in Baldoyle.

I know @bluenote is walking distance from the course so doubt that he will be beat

Slight change - you actually go to car park hotel now - I think that old way in is exit only now ?

It is a Saturday - but you might be surprised how long it takes to get anywhere in Dublin at any time. From M50 to course , could easily slip to that 20/25 min mark. (A trip that should be 10)

Welcome to Dublin , cars, coffee, shopping, a slight road or water issue - you are panicking in your car. The links is a lovely almost country like feel area - but the roads to get to it, are still 1960s. (but improving)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

A long par 4 / short par 5 away. 449 metres.

Just use the sat navs to get there lads. I suspect it'll bring you down blackwood Lane to get into Portmarnock, easiest way to not miss the turn is to just follow it.

Traffic can be awful getting in the village on a Saturday. Thankfully with the weather forecast, you should be fine.

• Advertisement

with your swing that's a drive and flick of an 8 iron

Loving reading all the build up posting folks. Some mileage you have been putting in over last couple of years kiith, fair play to you. I don’t have to far myself, but I suspect I’ll be closest next time around and the gas thing is I’ll be further than a good few when it comes to playing my home club later in the year 🤣

I’m always late…… but have promised to make efforts to get there early and get stuff set up, not that there will be much set up with the ClubNet app taking care of a lot, but I’ll organise cards for everyone. Obviously I’m in early group so will find somebody to pass them onto for the later arrivals. as long as weather allows, it probably makes sense to just hand them out down around the putting green. If it’s pissing I’ll probably grab a coffee at the bar beside pro shop.

I’ll be looking up handicaps over next day or 2. If I send you a friend invite on golf Ireland app, please accept because it then makes it very easy to look up handicaps at future outings

as far as weather is concerned, I’ll open curtains morning of and it is what it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I hit the range last night. If I swing it like that the most important part of my warm up will be vocal exercises.

Oh side game of whack f#@k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

With traffic 5 mins for me, without 4 mins

• Advertisement

The lads in the weather forum are not helping my mental heath with their silly snow warning posts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Fix I presume you have organised our regular boards outing weather. No pressure

He's a great delegator is our new captain, so has gotten benny, our top weather man on the case

There is a dress code .......right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭swededmonkey

I'll be grand, but sound for the option though. I'm in one of the later groups as it is. My time keeping is something I generally need to improve, but i'll make the effort to be punctual for my first outing

i've sent a few pm's around there for some people who i don't have GUI numbers for please

perhaps not in club, but if you can just let me know please

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Looking as good as ever Benny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

Wind is Westerly. For now. How many holes is that with wind helping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Because it is by the sea the prevailing wind may not be so important with onshore/offshore winds and tides etc

I am no expert but I think I am right from JC geography

• Advertisement
Advertisement