Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society (Round 1) Portmarnock Links (19th Feb)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

got a good few

just need handicap info for willabur and robbok please

robbok, also your guest please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

I'm coming from Santry so not too far. The parents live just down the road from the course so i might stay there on the Friday night. if so, i'm definitely putting myself up for shortest commute 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jaysus all...we are seriously stretching the prize givings......

How about

1) most calories for breakfast

2) most 3 putts at warm up

3) first to hit Jameson's graveyard

4) best dressed , nicest raingear or swimwear

5) first "Fore" on course

6) first OOB on 2

7) first shank on 3

8) first in water on 4

To think of a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BohToffee

I reckon honey honey cafe may well be my warm up having seen that breakfast sambo. 😋

So two spare polo's will be required, one for the runny egg and another after the rain. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

OOB on the second, that would be some hook

I think , I've seen you OOB - Slice right into houses.

Good news on wind - don't get me wrong serious wind - but blowing itself out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rainbow Warrior

Loving the build up comments to the big day!

It even sound like a place you should go - would they sponsor most calories before event prize ------😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

there is a second storm behind it Fix that is supposedly worse

Eunice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

It will be down to a two club wind. Might blow the sauce off the breakfast bap though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, its tomorrow's storm that is the worse of the two.

Just heard the Curragh is closed till next week, so there's my practice round out the window. There's no real chance of Portmarnock being closed, is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

very unlikely, frost or snow are the only reasons I’ve ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Was hoping to get out for bad weather tune up round today, but was rained off. Haven't played in over 10 days so headed to Leopardstown range instead. Some setup there now with the the TrackMan in every bay. It's a different world to the bashing balls into the abyss, well you're still bashing balls into the abyss, but you know what I mean. Played the front 9 in Lahinch as a links tune up.

Still reminded me why I don't like the range, much how I don't like the gym. My arm is sore after it. Whenever I hit the range I always get sucked into hitting the ball as hard as I can time after time. Now that your ball speed flashes up after every shot, it's very easy to enter Rambo DeChambeau mode and start hulking up.

Couldn't crack 150 ballspeed which sends me home sore and deflated. Looking forward to being back on the course where power isn't everything! Roll on Saturday, hopefully the rain stays away, I can enjoy playing in anything as long at the grips stay relatively dry.

This is an extraordinary consideration - when you think about it. As Bryson would think, considering the density of air, the air velocity - a bap has serious design issues, just lacks that laminar flow required on such a day. You could end up with egg on your face , your zip down and a loss of your pudding , never mind the sauce.

Lads it is all about preparation - is there anything to be said for a traditional roll - or even a mass, for the weather and the bap.

• Advertisement

@The Big Easy

😂 215 posts , your task (Post of the Outing) is becoming a more and more onerous task - we haven't even started outing 🤣. I do want to remind you, this is a position of honor with no reward (well maybe a few IPAs) 🙂

I want another - give it to me, Saturday.

Normally the naming of these is alphabetical - F, I hear Met Eireann have picked one out for us , in honor of the day.

Called.

"Fore **** Sake"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭eireyiddo

When Sonya met Eunice will be my theme for the 18. Low, sneaky long, topped, scuffed pinnacles all day. Stay down below the fescue for added carry. Visualising stingers, reality might be slightly different.

Reckon we'll avoid the worst of the weather TBH, don't be minding them lads over in the weather forum, they may have caught wind of 52 people having some fun this weekend.

Be grand, positivity till I hook one into the graveyard on the first hole

It is all in the preparation. Fail to prepare ,prepare to fail. Notice the release of the lower body to allow for the expected air flow.

I have Margaret (Driver) in fine form. When Margaret is in fine form all is well with the world. We'll you know the opposite.

The olde 2 iron has brought back for a sharpening. Looking good

Wow, hitting into a trampoline seems dangerous!

• Advertisement

I'd say it is class for picking up Pool games from Azerbaijan , great for weather predications , and savage broadband.

I don't care about the weather - but it is funny and probably a great example of how pointless it is. Sun now (for the first time in a while) - but wind gone up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

Looks like the calmest day of the weekend right now.

No pain no gain. Only half the springs and no tension.

Perfect return system for driver.

Also at Xmas it's lit up so is a beacon marker for rescue 117.

Golfers have green credentials.

Upcycle rather than waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Yeah turn up naked and we kit you out 😂

I love how we Irish fascinate on the weather! I haven't even looked at it! I will wake up Saturday morning, pull the curtains and bask in the glorious spring Sunshine, It will be a little bit windy but this is links do you expect anything less (Sun always shines on boards outings) So time to shine baby 😉🏌️‍♂️⛳️

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Snackbox20

Apologies folks,

I have had to withdraw from Portmarnock outing as I am currently isolating with the fecking Covid and cannot shake this off. My isolation period is due to finish next Tuesday. For the safety of all the group, I am not going to put anybody at risk.

There is now a slot free in the 12:10 group.

Hope all the golfers have a great day out, enjoy the golf, the rain dancing, the breakfast baps, and the weather 🤣🤣, it has been brilliant reading all the build up, if I was traveling on Saturday it would have been a zip up the M8 from Cashel and Google map it from Malahide and not like the last time saying my name at electronic gates. Looking forward to reading the eulogies on Saturday night / Sunday.

Best of luck to everyone.

Sorry to hear that Snackbox but hopefully you don’t have it to bad and recover quickly

see you at the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

My own course has decided to close for the weekend so bravo Fix for the foresight in having the outing this weekend.

Lads on a serious note take a walk outside , even in low wind.

Make sure you have your layers / underlayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Snackbox20

Thanks a million Seve 👍👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭spuddy4711

Only two more sleeps. Shoes polished, socks ironed, SatNav tuned to HoneyHoney. Forecast now looking kinder to us late runners, with

Eunice meaning Good Victory in Biblical weather terms. Putting the finishing touches to my first Boards outing reports, will decide which

one to post after the outing.

I have to admit - wind gone a bit mental again *wind speed wise"- such a fun build up weather wise.

Breaking 80 a super score.

90 too.

No matter what - we dodged two storms , we basically would be called off 2 days this week.

News - Guys and girls .

Considering the wind speed and general conditions and asking a few people - we will be playing the green course on the day.

I know a few people will be disappointed - but relax, and shoot the lights out.

Men's Green

Course Rating 70.8 Slope 126 (par 71)

Female

Course Rating 74.0 Slope 137 (par 71)

Seve doing his magic on hcps.

Long Drive is 6

Nearest the pin 11

Always prefer to play the whites myself and have the course play more as intended, but think greens is probably the right call on this occasion!

Might have to do a serious warm up Saturday morning as beginning to feel my age!

Presume it's play it as it lies and fully counting towards the WHS?

Yes - and I would agree for here, but the ground is silly soft here , the wind is daft, there are 50 odd people out, it is very cold and the wind is serious (but improving)

I thought we put the loinster lady boys thing to bed a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

in cork tonight so hoping Dublin is a bit better than here, literally started raining on us indoors here tonight in the hotel

Good point there about WHS.

for those unfamiliar with Links golf, it is generally qualifying all year round.

our outing are not officially qualifying, what you would need to do (and we encourage it) is to register your own round through the golf Ireland app. Anyone who hasn’t done this before, it’s quite simple, just ask around on the day and someone will show you how.

pretty much everyone is a member of gui so there will be someone in your group to attest score, so make sure you agree with each other

• Advertisement

Little bit more than a two club wind this morning. Had a video but file size too large.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

FDP asked me to write up a brief post about my prep for events like this. He often makes fun of me for my prep and thinks I overdo it. He's probably right. However I'm probably going to enjoy tomorrow more then anyone else here.

Tomorrow is going to be cold, windy and probably wet (in the beginning).

Pack hat, gloves, and waterproof footwear. I recommend thin base layers on your body which you can stack below a waterproof layer. Walking around the course should help keep your core warm. 

The most important thing for me when the weather is like this is to have comfortable hands, feet and head. I and many other wear two pairs of winter golf gloves when the conditions get like this. These gloves are not waterproof, rather they get wet but maintain grip with your club grips. This they are good at. However they make some other things trickier. For me they always make marking the scorecard a pain. For this reason I like to ensure my scorecard stays dry. This single thing for me is consistently the toughest thing about golf when the conditions get bad. You might try other ways of keeping scoring during the toughest of the conditions and fill in the card a few holes later.

Make sure your golf bag has a head cover to try keep your clubs dry. When not in motion try position your bag so that rain doesn't stream down into your gear.

My advice would be to set out your gear tonight. And if you really want to take it seriously, take all the gear that you plan to wear and put it on tonight! This sounds daft and your family might think you are nuts. But this is a great dry run test. Ensure your socks are the right level of thickness. Make sure you can move freely. Lean over, mark a pretend golf ball on your carpet, repair a pretend pitchmark. Does your tee shirt pull out of your pants exposing unwaterproofed areas of your body? <-- Small, seemingly insignificant things like this make a much bigger difference than they should to comfort and mental psyche over the course of a round. Get this right, you enjoy tomorrow!

Coming from motor racing & cycling in a previous life, golf is similar. If the conditions are bad then the best prepared will win. Even if they don't "win" they will enjoy the moment more and hence still win. Bad conditions are the big equaliser. Personally I consider it much easier to win in hard conditions because I want to be there, enjoy it and feel good prep gives me an advantage. The challenge is different. Understand and enjoy the challenge.

Some will go the opposite way, and simply plan to wake up in the morning and just look at what the outside world has in store for them the morning of. That's cool and that's their way. If you are playing with one of them take a quick look at their faces during the round and try to see if you think they are enjoying the challenge :)

It's nice playing in tshirts with the smell of suncream etc in the air. But it too can be just as nice a treat walking to your ball middle of the fairway thermal flask filled with, hmmm take your pick, chicken soup/coffee/tea/hotchoc+rum on a cold day. Finding solace and enjoying your own company on these days is extra special and lives in memories for a long time... it just requires a little extra prep. Remember there is likely no better golfing place in the world to be during times like this then at portmarnock on a links.

Regarding golf and actual golf tips for when the conditions are hard. There's lots of them and it would take way too long to write up here. Maybe another time. I'll let others worry about that side of things for tomorrow.. but in my opinion, more then half of the battle is done and your actual golf game and how you play will come good if your head and body are comfortable on the day.

Post edited by RoadRunner on

Class RoadRunner - you have given your information away now is the only issue.

To ask one question , do you take the clothes off again before you get into bed. 🙂

Thanks for that.

I've not given away my best bits of prep & will still feel like the best prepared there.

Re wearing clothes to bed, A/B testing this, jury still out.

Beside I haven't even touched on specifics about golf, turf, swing, ball, spin characteristics, ball flight, tee height, green tendencies, blustery vs consistent conditions, warm up, wake up routine, what to listen to on the way to the course, what to eat the day before, antiperspirant or deodorant, flag in flag out, if flag out - is it lying on the ground, what height is it when lying on the ground and will that cause an air vortex, is that vortex in your path of play and will its effect be consistent across the whole path of play... and loads of other stuff that one could argue is not as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

Well we did say we are a bunch of golf nuts from the internet.

This is different level altogether @RoadRunner.

Must drive you nuts when you see the likes of me searching in my bag for something to wear on the first tee.

Not at all, watching people struggle in bad weather is reason I get up in the morning 🤣

• Advertisement

Ok Guys - the homework is done. The talk is completed . For all the talk of the weather , we have seriously dodged some called off weather stuff. So we have to be happy with that.

As Roadrunner posted - just be ready for cold wind and rain. My own tip on that - is I've sometimes forget my hat , and have had to go back to car. Start with plenty of layers and wind back when needed.

Last minute reminders

1) The time sheet is very full - this year is different , if you miss your slot you could miss out on getting out as no easy moves - except to one spot at 1210 - and this could be gone by tomorrow. Don't go home or anything if late - we will try sort you , but we have given enough notices about timekeeping at this stage. (if your one of them last minute dudes like me - sort yourself out and have a good chat with yourself 🤣)

2) Get your card, try ask who your playing partners are, be at the tee with 10 mins to go - note car park a bit away from 1st.

3) Please return all cards - all. Mark up 2s with a big circle or whatever.

4) Try get there with 40 mins to go - class short game area.

5) Don't panic about pace of play - but just keep an eye on group in front. There will be an experienced golfer in every group - we basically encourage people to say if the group is losing ground , no panic , this can normally be resolved by walking just slightly faster. The experienced golfer in the group , may point out a few issues (we have a nobody is offended policy).

6) Enjoy the day , hang around if you can - but it is completely understandable if you can't - long day - long drives - long everything,

So that is it - catch all tomorrow ,

Again - very rules heavy and overly authoritative - It is just a case of the written word coming across harder than the reality.

It is a great day, please enjoy and relax. Nothing like that first tee feel out there , even if the poxy greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Thanks @RoadRunner . Your post reminded me of a great one man play I saw - Tom Crean Antarctic Explorer. I think he put a similar level of prep into journeying to the south pole over a hundred years ago.

Of course he didn't have a golf swing to think about, so it was probably much easier for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

it is snowing in North County Dublin at the moment , it shouldn't stick but maybe have a few yellow balls in the bag too 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Thinking they’ll all be blue tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Without being "that person" (on my first boards outing no less) are there any conditions that will lead to not getting tomorrow?

• Advertisement
Advertisement