Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society (Round 1) Portmarnock Links (19th Feb)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Should we install you as favourite then Poppy, or if all of our have shrivelled up, do we lay from the red?

Just to Fix's post above re timing. I remember my first day out in Portmarnock as Captain. People arriving late was a serious pain. Think I covered more yards running between clubhouse and first than I did in the rest of the round. So please arrive as early as you can manage just to be fair to the committee that have been working their butts off to get things running smoothly.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow, its a class course. Will be a good test in the wind, but if you manage your game the course is scorable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Looking at weather ...it is 100% going ahead ...weather perfect at that time.

Have hand warmers and or gloves.

Also ...some cream to block wind burn on face.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Lads i may have to take my name out. Power has been gone all day back home, and the phone networks are also down, so can't really keep in touch with my wife. Not idea when you have a 5 month old baby. If the power and/or phones comes back up in the next hour or two, she'll be grand, but otherwise I may have to drive back. Likely won't make it back up tomorrow morning in that case.

Will keep you updated later today.

Good luck Kiith, tough one alright with a new baby at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

@FixdePitchmark Ok Guys - the homework is done.

What I haven't even put on my full thermals yet and fixed pitchmarks in the bedroom!

@RoadRunner That's the best thing I've read in a while 🤣🤣🤣

Last minute trip to the range maybe here, but it's seriously freezing, a biting wind. Plenty of good tips from RoadRunner there, he may come to regret them tomorrow! I similarly like the challenge of difficult conditions, however, am not always the best prepared. Grips getting wet and losing the feeling in the hands are things that can affect my game quite badly. Maybe a couple of all-weather gloves could be the solution?!

You'll be happy to know Fixde I'm aiming to be there an hour beforehand tomorrow! I've been the late man one too many times tbh and it's not fair on the guys giving up their time to put this whole thing together. Remember fielding calls from yourself and Benny, was it Esker Hills, only to arrive to a logjam on the 1st and enough time for a few practice putts 🤣

Good luck tomorrow everyone, drive safe and enjoy the day, come hail, rain or shine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

I've only got maybe 40 good shots a weekend so definitely not wasting any practising in the range today/tomorrow morning 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Enjoying a pint in the bar here.

Snow flurry outside. Hopefully it won't stick around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Now Now Poppy, thats something i might say but from a lady !! Im shocked

Post edited by Golfhead65 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I am afraid that I am out. Tested positive last weekend and had a tough week, hit me quite hard. Tomorrow is me out of isolation but dont want to chance getting worse in that weather.

Raging, as it would be a good chance on my home course to pick up some points.

Enjoy lads and ladies, and wrap up well.

J

• Advertisement

Power and phones back on, all is good at home, so I'm playing golf tomorrow!

Jaysus - you would want to get better shoes then that for tomorrow.

Look class - good for greens - no

J - very disappointing for myself and the committee. Particularly after all the work that you had put into the society and this outing.

Hopefully catch you in Monty - another tough course that will suit you well.

Get well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

You're head start is gone for the year 😊 Get well soon J! hopefully I make up for your absence.

@RoadRunner for someone that hates DeChambeau! You are very similar 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

KevH missed you cause you posted in wrong thread, have sent you pm. Need your handicap info please.

folks, please post in outing thread if it relates to outing. To messy to be checking everywhere and stuff gets missed

Right

have the tee sheet and handicaps all ready to go for tomorrow.

just finished the bottle of red

hitting the hard stuff now to wake sure I’m probably warmed up for tomorrow (photo keeps turning sideways……. Preempting me in about an hour I guess! 😂)

forgetting something though…… 🤔🤔

shit yea, the golf gear. Ah well, usual rush job in the morning so!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Snackbox20

Get well soon @Golfgraffix

Best of luck everyone tomorrow and safe travels.

Enjoy the golf folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭bobster453

And so to bed to dream of the morrow,

Hopefully the day will bring joy not sorrow.

Been reading all the posts of the links

And everything that can possibly give me the jinks.

Too cold too windy too wet, place full of snow,

Even on a calm day the wind will still blow.

Hot balls, cold balls, blue balls and all

All these things can cause me to fall.

Wet gear, warm gear, base layer, top layer

Need to wear a full wardrobe just to get there.

Use the driver, no don't, use a three wood instead,

No wonder the posts have wrecked me aul head.

Tee up, tee down, ball back in your stance

I'm beat already, I haven't a chance.

But one thing I know, as sure as can be,

The craic will be mighty right from the first tee.

And in the post mortems, we'll tell tales so tall,

Of the laughs that we had, chasing the white ball.

So enjoy it folks, from the start to the end,

And whatever happens, we will still part friends.

So sleep well everybody and get a good rest,

And tomorrow we'll all give it our best.

Nobody goes out to have a bad round

But in for a penny, in for a pound

Take the bad with the good, as you know that you should,

And remember we are so lucky to be,

Members of a GREAT GOLF SOCIETY.

See you tomorrow folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭a post punk

Really looking forward to tomorrow , a bit later to bed after going to the Munster game but a good start to the weekend with a good win!! It was freezing tonight with layers on so I will heed roadrunners advice and wrap up well.

Expecting a big score for whoever wins it tomorrow off the greens….. Pity Golfgraffix can’t make the outing as he would be hot favourite on his home course.

6:30 alarm so time to catch some zzzzzz’s

PP

Class Bobster

Stopped now

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

Great to have you back Bobster, you were badly missed.

A big thank you to the commitee for all their hard work over the years and especially the last few months . It's amazing what can be achieved with the wright captain😉.

When it comes to preperation i am a wash & go type of guy. Normally in my case too much preperation leads to high expectation followed by 100+.

That was some downpour...the golfing God's have given us a window (assuming no course issue ?) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

Just rang them and course is open. See you in a few. Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Safe travelling all. See ye in a couple of hours

just looked out my window and could have sworn I saw 2 Girrafes, 2 Elephants and 2 Zebras walk by.

Good luck today, hopefully it will dry out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Day trip to the zoo?!!!

hitting the road now. See ye all later.

Early starters look like have the best of it....perfect day for links golf.

• Advertisement

Me walking onto first tee after reading Roadrunners advice

Yeah, serious downpour in the m50 there. Nice if we manage to avoid that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

Do you have to pay to park there if you are playing ? Or are folks parking in the carppark next to the hotel ? Am I at the right entrance ? ☺️

Sleety rain looking out from Honey Honey, at least im getting something nice from the day

Gets a bap Golfhead 😜

sitting here in the clubhouse folks doing cards up. Drop in to collect yours if you are early

Nevermind. I called them. They’ll validate the parking ticket 🏌️‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

I just arrived there 5 mins ago, I was waiting inside the car for the heavy rain to stop

Lads weather on course is incorrect..as per the forecast...so don't worry about the way it looks and feels....

Thanks a million for all the effort guys. Super day. Weather was great in the end. Really enjoyed my first links experience. I didn’t hang around as trying to get back to Galway for kids bedtime. Next time. Cheers again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

That was some tough going around the course today. I signed up for a round of golf and ended up with a hike through the dunes. But I guess I only have myself to blame!!

Onwards and upwards to Monty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Thanks for the planning all, great day even if the golf wasn’t up to scratch, couldn’t hang on as heading for limerick but hopefully see some of you in carton

Well lads and lassies that was some turn around in the weather, except for first 2/3 holes (out first) it was positively balmy weather on the links today.Im sure i saw Benny do his rain dance on the putting green as I went down the first hole..lol . For me personally my golf was pants but just to be back playing in the society was fantastic, Played with Alanm a clubmate of mine who is an unbelievable golfer, doesnt hit driver too far takes more club into greens than me from same distance but chips and putts like the pros on tour and the sum of all the parts was a 74 gross thats pro level, Roadrunner who ive played with before is a very accomplished player and i think he got around in 80 strokes for a 35 pts total but the best part lads is Do you remember the piece he wrote about preparation....Forget that, he turned up to putting green 10 mins before tee time, then preceeded to driving net and should i say had a Rory moment about his tee time and had to rush to 1st tee just as we were about to leave him behind but still played great golf, maybe thats the way he should do it in future. Also in the group was Willabar who is probably better than his score today suggests as you can see that he is comfortable on links courses being a member of Corballis and a very enjoyable playing partner he was..Pace of play was fantastic with no sight of group behind once we left the 3rd tee..Again great to be back and roll on Carton House.Thanks to committee for all the orgainisation

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Manhatton

Great day lads. Thanks for organising, it couldn't have been better, good company, weather was better than expected, course was in brilliannt condition after the weather we've had, golf not the best but very enjoyable. Super stuff and Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭swededmonkey

Great day lads. Well done on all the organisation, you made it look easy. Now on to the golf, not a great day for me but was kept in good company with Baker boy & robbok and thuroughly enjoyed the game. Except on the 13th when my tee shot landed 2 inches from the edge of the bunker and the ball was at chest height. Think I took 4 chunks out of the ground before I called it quits on the hole 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭spuddy4711

A great introduction to my first Boards outing, Benny, Scotty and the Tiger welcomed me and showed me the ropes with some great shots. The laser eyesight of Tiger was put to good use with the number of “off centre “ shots my me, he kept my lost ball numbers in single figures. Such a great day out, thanks to the many people who arranged it, a superb start to the golfing year.

Provisional Results

Gross Win - Alanm 74 strokes

Overall winner Blue note 46 pts

2nd rickis tache 38 pts

3rd CharlieIRL 37 pts

4th Roadrunner 35 pts

Long Drive - Kev1984

Nearest the pin - Big Chap (5 foot 3 inches)

I left the outing with more stuff than I came for - with gifts - unclaimed prizes , we will sort out at next outing.

By the way - could the 4 people who did not pay their food/ drink bill PM me - I won that prize, to pay that. 😂

Holy ****. 46 points !!!!. I’ve been at the club since it opened and have seen that score once.

well done

He left a bit disappointed 🤣

No there was a big score out there today - we played forward for weather - but it just changed at the right time and was perfect.

Well done Bluenote, cracking score

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Well done bluenote, had the pleasure of playing with you today, very impressive round and well deserved win

Advertisement