Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society (Round 1) Portmarnock Links (19th Feb)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BohToffee

Well done to the committee for arranging a cracking venue for the first outing. And arranging the good weather for the actual golf. Unfortunately your arrangement was not matched by my golf as I almost matched bluenotes superb score (mine was just over par 😄). Unbelievable golf played today and a very well deserved win which I too had the pleasure of witnessing first hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

OK lads – thank feck we got the first one done.

No – there was a massive build up, the weather hanging over us, was a bit of a (“blue”) balls all week. I was so delighted to wake up to yr weather saying no rain, but then you looked out and it sounded like rain, felt like rain and looked like rain.

The first few groups got a bit wet – but when you look at results, there was good play including the gross out in front group.

The day wasn’t really about my golf for me – that was actually an interesting aspect – to be more concerned about it all going off ok, then anything to do with my own game. As it turns out, myself SEORG and Bakerbhoy were in the right place, in the small bar – chatting about the world post covid. The apps, all the data on the internet said, there was no rain outside , the world outside the metaverse, had a different wet opinion.

Eventually we got everyone on the first tee – some of the young lads were in the Old Portmarnock – but you just got to love that brilliance of youth.

So off to the first tee – we were lucky to have a great group – Kieran and CharlieIRL – two long term members and a new long time lurker GymTanLaundry. The joys of boards, you don’t know a real name , you don’t know the user name – you’re a bit lost a times.

The 3 guys are off higher handicaps – but have fantastic fundamentals in the their games. Charlie was hitting the ball unreal – and went on a flying start of pars – 3 and 4 pointers were flying in.  He looked like he was going to walk away with it.

We all found the greens a bit slow and inconsistent – but we accepted, it is a poor time to judge any of that. We all remarked how pleasurable it was to walk around with dry feet , during a period of impossible conditions for all golf courses. As a few people said to me – sure my course is closed.

I seemed to be hitting the ball well off the tee – but I seem to have lost all feel for an iron and the short game at the moment –this has sort of crept in on me over the last month.

But I still enjoyed the day , the great company , the course , the location – the soup on the course, the laughs. The best shot of the day, was when Kieran played an incredible shot off the greenside bank on 9 – to almost hole the best piece of links imagination on the day. I called out the famous Tiger Woods Masters chip in call “ In your life, have you ever seen anything like that” (Verne Lundquist).

When I hit the tee box on 11 – the light was so perfect across the stunning North East coast of Dublin , the Sugar Loaf was in the far distance and there was that light in the clouds over the Dublin Mountains . I had a few flashbacks of childhood on Portmarnock beach and Deer Park with my parents. It seemed to knock me into a bit of a good run of golf – but it soon fell apart again as the souls departed.

Things got a bit slow at the turn of the course, but we got going again and flew home with the wind at our back.

On 18 – a few ragamuffins clapped our shots ironically from outside the fence. I imagined myself doing something similar as a young lad and being daft and jealous looking in. Now on the other side of the fence I’m looking at them 30 years later.

When we hit the clubhouse – it was such a joy to see the crowd there , Space and Seve on top of everything – people talking and laughing.   

I had a speech ready – but said it was too long a day for any of that (“don’t be as long as one of your posts”) – it is only the start , there will be time for all that, another day and place.

Myself, Seve , Bluenote, TheBigEasy and SEORG (an old forum friend), held back at the end for a chat. A few drinks and to get to know a little bit about each other in the real world.

There are people I’ve known a long time on the forum – but never met in person. It was nice to have a chat and expand on your probably false perception of them.

I left with lots of stuff to be given out – so hopefully I see plenty of these people in Carton – my car is going to be a moving golf shop for a while.

I eventually got home and had a Gran Reserva. I can now reflect on the achievement of the committee to put it all together. I’m just out front for the year. But I have to say that was a very special day.

Great golf from all the winners – thanks to everyone for being, on time ,doing what we asked and not once complaining about anything. We are so appreciative of the spirit everyone entered the day with.

Catch you again – them clouds at the half light and turn for home – wow. 

(P.S. Golfgraffix - people were so complimentary about the app, your work and the power the app provides to organization and the members - thanks a million from me , as it made my day a joy)

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I had 4 scratches and 3 doubles in my round and left a few putts out there - we knew there was going to be a decent score in today. Really enjoyed being back in Portmarnock and to pick up where I left off last year, my few winter rounds are paying dividends. I’ll do up a proper post later - just home!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Lads and Ladies was great to be back at a boards event see some new faces and old faces (that have gotten older looking😜). Fix - you chose the perfect course for the weather we had this week and this morning, even with all the rain the course was so dry and was nice to have run on the fairways. A great start to the year well done!

Congrats Bluenote on an amazing score - didn't think that was out there today!

As for my own golf 🤐

Thanks to my playing partners for putting up with some unmentionables at the beginning of the round from me - those can be contagious...

Had a really enjoyable round playing with Kiith, Hattons and richie - Kiith was killing the driver and had a good score going although I was going to kill him when he somehow predicted my ball would go into the bunker on the Par 3 17th about 5 mins before it happened😛

Hattons is a nice tidy golfer and was a joy to watch the accurate driving and irons all day - Richie also hit some great shots but mainly he and I shared an enjoyable round chatting about the good things in life - next time I am in Athlone, I'll be giving Hattons and Richie a shout (along with Charlie) to go for a pint in Sean's!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Long long day. Sorry that should be long long enjoyable day.

After hearing the rain at 5am in Galway and seeing the rain on the way up I wasn't feeling the love as I pulled into the car park.

After getting the warm welcome from captain Fix I knew that I would receive I suited up and headed to the chipping area.

After duffing and thinning 10 chips I knew putter from greenside was the only option for me. Those tight links lies can strike fear unless you are super confident with chipping.

After meeting my playing partners woodyg, Princess poppy and the big easy it was showtime.

I got off to a great start parring the first 4 holes then a slight stumble. Finished the front with 19 points and mirrored that on back 9.

A very enjoyable day on a cracking course with great company and a second place to an incredible score, well done blue note.

Well done to all in the committee, behind the scenes and Fix for a well run day and onto Carton House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Well I had a great day today! I suspected it was a great society and I'm glad to say i was right. A very easy group to walk in to, both my playing partners in the course and all in the bar afterwards.

And thanks for all the well dones guys! It was the highest points scores I've ever had by a few shots I reckon. It's funny, you half enjoy a day playing like that. But a part of you just fears when you'll start shanking / duffing it. Somehow that didn't happen to me today, I was just solid. My drives stayed in play, no 3 putts, I went into 4 bunkers and didn't take two to get out of any, no thinned chips. I think the most impressive part of my round was not throwing it away!

I did kind of feel like i had a good score in me for a while. My game didn't feel too bad, ball striking generally good, I'm not bad for getting up and down. But somehow I tend to come in week after week with mid 20 points and reasonably upbeat because I'd feel there's a good score in there. The fact that I'd need to shave 10-15 shots off my score for it wouldn't really register.

And to the organisers. People always say it's a thankless job, but I actually think everyone there really appreciates all the work put in to make the day what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Snackbox20

Congrats Bluenote, fantastic score out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭bobster453

THE LINKS-A POSTMORTEM

Let me tell you a story of Portmarnock Links,

So sit back, relax, and get in the drinks.

The Society's first outing of the year 22,

How great it was to bid covid adieu.

Despite being a bit cold the weather stayed good,

And all started on time, as we hoped that it would.

The course looked fantastic, great ground underfoot,

It made such a difference to trudging through mud.

I've been told the greens were great, though some thought them slow,

To tell you the truth I just wouldn't know.

For by the time I got there to aim for the cup,

The only thing I could do was pick the ball up.

A word for my partners, those long suffering men,

Who helped me hunt for my ball again and again.

I thought I'd go left, it seemed the best play,

But the ball knew better and went over the bay.

I thought I'd go right again the ball knew best,

Last seen it was still heading into the west.

I went to Portmarnock with a great master plan

But after the first that was thrown in the can.

Lost ball on the second, went out of the course,

From then on my round got progressively worse.

The bunkers were unreal, a joy to behold,

I should know, I was in them all, or so I was told.

After the round to the 19th we all did repair,

The banter and craic was mighty in there,

Good scores, bad scores, we posted them all,

And told tall tales about chasing the ball.

To the captain, committee, and all who helped out,

You've done yourselves proud, of that there's no doubt

I know I speak for all when I say,

Thanks for all the hard work, to get to today.

So bring on Monty, with its bunkers so deep,

They hold no fear for me, won't cost any sleep.

For I will go there with a masterplan to win,

And hopefully this one won't end up in the bin.

blue note - that is an absolutely class round of golf - even your gross score was impressive. After, your understated modest calmness about it was remarkable.

As a lad who has played Corballis a bit - I can see how Portmarnock Links - forward , would be a relief from the difficulty of Corballis. It is no coincidence - that our last big score there was also a Corballis man too.

My sincere apologies, I was a little anxious to get people away. But I never actually asked you to make a speech.

I'd imagine you will get a big cut for that . We are all trying to adjust to the new world of WHS , and the pace handicaps change is amazing.

Congrats again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

Really enjoyed that. Played woeful, absolutely woeful but nevertheless really enjoyed the walk around portmarnock. Playing partners were great! Very welcoming to the relative newcomer.

Alanm was a machine, played the conditions perfectly, had one or two woeful lies and yet never had to count up to 6.

Roadrunner hit some fantastic drawing shots off the tee. Striped one drive in particular that caught the slope perfectly with a draw to run out close to 350 yards.

Golfhead65 was brilliant company. We defo brought up the rear in our 4ball and resorted to negotiating over a possible deal for my ping putter on the back 9.

Less said about my golf the better. Couldn't get a feel for the greens and found the bunkers tough going. Felt I hit the ball reasonably well but wasn't dialed in at all. I am delighted tho that another corballis man took home the big prize, as defending champ it's good to see the portmarnock links boards title stay on the Northside of dublin. 46 points is an incredible score but no surprise for me, the man is a stripe show.

Roll on monty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Had a great time at my first boards outing, thanks to Fix and everyone else he mentioned for the background organisation and getting all players out on time and without a hitch.

The wet gear was on for the practice green and off by the first tee, perfect timing on the weather. Great conditions for the round.

Playing partners were both excellent ball strikers, could probably count the number of poor drives between them on one hand. I felt I played pretty well, drove well and struck my irons as well as I can. Came unstuck with my short game and putting, nothing new for me but definitely need to work on it if I want to get my hcap down. Can't wait to get out to carton house next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

what a great day yesterday was

firstly I'd like to say thanks to Golfgraffix who unfortunately couldn't make his home event, not only for organising this great course (probably one of very few open this weekend) but especially for allowing us access to his ClubNet app. It was brilliant not having to worry about arranging time sheets or collecting money and made the organisation of the day so much easier, especially with the large turn out. also thanks to everyone of the members, new and old for embracing the changes so warmly. it was especially nice to see some old faces return and of course to see some new blood. it was great to get to chat to a few of yiz.

for me it was a long day, despite not having a huge distance to travel (only about 25 minutes). I got there about 9:20 and was warmly welcomed by all the staff at Portmarnock, so a special thanks them. So a seat in the bar with a coffee and a bunch of cards to prepare. It takes a bit longer than expected because you get chatting to people and you don't see the time pass. All of a sudden I realised I'm teeing off soon! So apologies if I was a bit rushed towards end, I needed to get finished and out to the tee. And just on cards, thanks to everyone for getting their handicap info to me so promptly beforehand and cards back in to me so quickly afterward (Tiger, we aren't the ones who should be chasing you), it helps getting things turned around nice and quick.

so as usual I hit the first tee, no practice, no warm up, no swings, no putts. Meeting starter to give him time sheet info from my phone which kept jumping and dissapearing every second as the rain hit the screen, last to tee off.......slice!....... provo....... slice...... 2 balls down, no score on the first. much better on the second to find the fairway, but nearly blew it with my first putt finishing 15 foot past the hole. putting has been killing me of late and casting my mind back to something captain Fix remarked about my putting a few weeks ago, I kept my head down on the one back and drained it. I can putt! .... then 3 putts on the third from 20 foot! ARRGH! sliced 2 balls of the tee on the fourth. It's not going to be my day. but it was was on this hole that the rain stopped and the day brightened up to be a really fabulous day for links golf. However, i was well wrapped, maybe to many layers, carrying bag, 2 gloves. I needed to change, but i didn't. I got birdie on the long drive hole, as in, my drive was daisy cutter right up the centre at a flock of birds sitting in the middle of the fairway and it's very likely one of them flew off with a broken leg after it took the full impact and stopped my ball dead in its tracks. I carried on playing muck, loosing another ball on 7 and 3 putts on 5 and 9.

9 points to the turn. things had to change. I was playing with 2 society stalwarts in BigChap1759 and spacecoyote who were locked in a head to head winter matchplay battle. Joining us was a last minute visitor, a friend of mine new enough to the game, but able to play when he knuckles down. He was not at the races either so we challenged each other to a match on the back 9.... he told me it would be pathetic if I didn't beat him 9 up :D

well with my 6 and his 5, he won the 10th and i missed a 2 foot putt on the 11th for my par so a half in 4. I had played a fair few games in recent weeks with space and he had earlier commented on my pathetic driving on the front 9, saying that I had in on a rope in recent games and it was not like me. Right. The winter gloves had to come off now, and what a difference it made. the soap was back on the rope. a couple of slightly leaky hits on the back 9, but the ship was steadied and i played golf. not brilliant, but steady. only one bad one on 15 cost me another lost ball but rescued a 6 with my provo. a couple of putts went very close also for me on the back 9, Fix's remarks sticking in my head as I continue to work on my stroke, 3 lips outs i think on 10, 12 and 16 (not to mention the soft miss on 11).

17 is not a hole I have ever thought was easy, its a bloody tough par 3 on the best of days. with the wind, i went with 6 iron, right hand side of the green, looking for the wind to bring it across. a clean hit thankfully but the wind didn't do much, however i still found the centre of the dance floor. a long putt, maybe 20-25 foot, i eyed it up good, watched the other lads balls rolling onto the green and stood over it feeling confident, with Fix on my shoulder, keep the head down...... tracking....tracking, turn you little daisy..... BOOM..... in the money! coming up short with my approach on 18, an ok chip left me a 10 footer.... i can't miss now.... yes par to come home with 20 points.

I would have been happy with 29 points standing on the first tee yesterday, but regret letting the head drop early on. it could have been a good bit better. the silly miss on 11 has cost me a lot of jug points so if i was to change one thing about yesterday it was not focusing more on that single putt.

BigChap hit a smashing shot into 11 to claim the nearest the PIN, we knew it was not going to be beaten but in fairness, space was very close but just rolled back off the front edge. BigChap slotted home his putt and I'm not to sure he was to happy later on with me putting my hand into his pocket on 17 to take a spoil of the 2's pot :D

As usual a great day out with the Boards, congrats to Captain Fix on a well organised first outing and keeping his speeches to a minimum... there will be plenty of opportunity later in the year to let him ramble. Thanks to space for helping with cards at the end. i'll get full results up later on.

see yiz in Carton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

What a great day, wasn't looking good and the first three holes were wet and windy, but then it dried out and the wind wasn't as bad as expected. Really a course I enjoy even if I think it is a bit too difficult for my golf level, even from the greens. My drive didn't work the whole round and the put either, could not get the pace right in the whole round. But the course and mainly the company of the 3 corkmen made me enjoy the round even with the many crap shoots. On the other hand I had a few absolutely crackers mostly with my wedges that saved the round

Thanks again to my partners that made me enjoy so much a round where the golf wasn't there. Also thanks for organising the outing, great numbers that I guess made the feat even harder, really apreciated.

Looking forward to the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Few pictures from the day, will do the write up of the event tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Richiemaloney

Well done to all very well organised really enjoy my first outing

like to thank my playing partners for make me fell so welcome, the golf can only get better 🤔

And a special thanks to board who organised the weather 😎

Roll on Carlton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Great day out yesterday!

I was slightly questioning my sanity driving up the M50 in biblical conditions. However, I've always been an optimist, even if contrary to my circumstances or even demeanour at times, and had a hunch I was driving through it as it was clearing south. I had promised the new captain and myself that I would be early for this year's events and had the best of intentions as always. These ended with me hurriedly scoffing an egg sandwich while wrestling the clubs out of the boot and awkwardly guiding a newcomer to where the lads were set up.

Got the card at 11.33 for my 11.40 tee time and was moseying down to the first when I realised I was still in my street shoes, quick run back to the car, but still enough time, to be, on time. Then I recalled Roadrunner's keeping the card dry quandary, another quick run back for the scorecard holder and the amble to the first was replaced by a jog. 11.39, no sweat!

On went the two gloves purchased the night before as per Roadrunner's guide to success. A quick hook with a hybrid into the scrub on the left followed my a duffed 6 iron into the ditch, turned two gloves back to one pretty sharpish. Tommy two gloves I am not. I hope the weather didn't disappoint RR too much! A thinned SW from 100 out straight into the pin and out to about 5 foot, which I proceeded to miss for a 6 and a double on the first, walking off thinking I was robbed of a par. Target for the day wiped out on the first, keep doubles off the card!

15 foot for birdie on the second had me thinking maybe it could still be my day, but the greens and my putter were my undoing the whole way round. If only I'd given myself 5 minutes to just see the ball going in the whole on the practice green and maybe a few lag putts. My pace was off all day and my attempts to mimic the links aficionados with the putter from everywhere, of which there was a fine proponent in my group in the shape of rickie's tash and his fine score of 38, didn't really payoff as it's not my game and not something you can just turn up and implement on the fly. Was too close on a couple of holes, and fatted the resultant half shots with the dreaded decel. I'll blame the greens on that one ;)

Only found one bunker on 10 and only had one scratch also on 10, coincidence, I think not. It was probably more the fault of the pulled 3 wood for safety off the tee, always dumb to play safe I find for ams by playing a club off the tee they don't hit as often. Never stopped grinding and managed a couple of 2 putt pars in the last three for 16 out and 16 back for a not totally unrespectable 32.

Had the pleasure of the company of old friends Princess Poppy, the aforementioned rickis tache, and woodyg. PP was very unlucky to lose her ball on the first and then find the fairway bunker on 2 after a good drive. She was hitting it well off the tee, but the bunkers took their toll. She was able to bounce back nicely on the back 9 and start rolling them in from everywhere, on another day PP could've been in the prizes. It wasn't woodyg's day either, but we were all in good spirits all the way round and happy to be out on a glorious links day. During one of the few waits, we were able to marvel in the same view of the Sugarloaf in the distant golden haze. Remarkably there was a clearer view of the Sugarloaf than the jumbos landing overhead. Thanks to Golfgraffix for getting us out once again on a quality and testing track. It's only really lacking the sea views to be a top links. Was pleased to see the sea on the 16th and 18th tee boxes.

Massive thanks once again to Fixde and all the committee, it really is a lot of work, but everyone really loves their golf and freely give of their time to facilitate the enjoyment of other golf nuts. Nice to have a drink after with some of the society stalwarts and newcomer Blue Note, the day's big winner, congrats on the massive score, hopefully get to play with you some outing soon.

Biggest regret of the day was forgetting the beautiful FootJoy cold weather socks, I'd bought the night before in yet another nod to RR's fail to prepare.............They were waiting for me at the end of the bed on my return. Hopefully I'll get the chance to wear them at the Monty, alas real life might get in the way of that one. It was wonderful to have a day free of responsibility on the links, to enliven the inner child, soothe the soul, refresh and replenish the body, before returning home to a far too enlivened actual child, who needed soothing long into the night.

without further ado, here is the full results from yesterday

well done to all winners, but congrats to blue note on a class round.

winner of the day for me was my new Duca Del Cosma Tomcat golf shoes. Never heard of the brand before I bought them last week, but they were worth every penny, extremely comfortable, like wearing cosy slippers and kept my feet nice and warm and dry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

And we're off! Awh its great to be back and IMO the golf season starts now! woke up pulled the curtains to blue skies and had a laugh to myself what is all the fuzz about I told them "The Sun always shines on boards outings" 😉

So this year I got a bit of young blood into the Society to be honest they would play regularly in my club and are serious good golfers probably sick of me talking about Boards over the years too! 😂 but good to have a bit of young blood especially when it comes to technology. So was on the practice green when I got a phone call were are you? I'm on the practise Green "so are we" the reply! only for me to realised they were in the wrong Portmarnock! A mistake I made many years ago 😂 Panic set in as I taught they were not going to make it and mess the time sheet up! Like when you get a family member a job and wished you hadn't 😂 But they made it with time to spare and some help with parking thanks to Captain Fix and rocked up to the tee like Rock stars not a care in the world!. Youth of today! Fcuk me I feel old 🙈 😂

Onto the golf had the pleasure of playing with Spuddy, young Scott & Tiger.. Spuddy a new member and who only took up the game since retiring! very impressive. The usual side bet was placed with Tiger and the hustle was on.. For a man who hasn't hit ball in months he certain put up a fight well so he taught 😉😂 I am coming into a bit of form myself at long last and was hitting all my clubs much further so was struggling a bit with distance control but not a bad compliant as this is what I have been working on. Though I did struggle on greens found them a bit bumpy. This is normally the strongest part of my game. I wanted to hit 30 points at least especially of my new handicap and hit 30 on the button and left so much out there! Think I gave the course to much respect the day that was in it but links is a different animal and Portmarnock is not an easy course but great for my confidence. My chipping is really starting to improve too.

All in all a great day! Great company, great laugh, meeting new golfing nuts! sure its what boards is about! Normal life resumes.. It was like a scene from Highway to heaven standing on the first tee and the clouds parting to blue skies 😂

Oh and of Course I won the fiver! 😎

Well done to a the winners and those that played well in the conditions. It turned into a fine day really with all the mad weather either side of Saturday. Enjoyed my 1st outing, pity the burger afterwards was the only part that I was really happy with. The game just wasn't there. I live a charmed life with my home course compared to the difficulties that are thrown at you on a links course. It needed more respect by me sadly.

Thats a ridiculous score bluenote 👏 . Very impressive.

Onwards and upwards, looking forward to making amends. Sadly I don't think it's gonna be Carton die to circumstances. Small chance I'll get to it bit realistically it will be the following one.

Thanks again to all the committee and the chef for the burger 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GymTanLaundry

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my first Boards outing. I was lucky to be in a group with Fix, charlie and kieran who guided me around the course hole by hole, and thoroughly enjoyed their company throughout. Some great golf played by charlie throughout and a well deserved 3rd place.

Unfortunately my golf wasn't upto scratch, shots off the tee always left me a bit of work to do but thankfully my short game made up for it somewhat. I played my best around the turn for home, and really padded my score up a bit. Happy all the same to finish on 25 points considering the drops I took throughout the round. Plenty to work on before the next outing.

Thanks to the committee for a super day, the hard work put in is greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭Alanm

To echo what a lot of people have already said, thanks very much to all for organising a great day out (and especially to Benny for organising the weather), it's very much appreciated!

I had the pleasure of playing with a relative newcomer in Willabur along with a couple of people I know very well in RoadRunner and Golfhead65. Things didn't go too well for either Willabur or Golfhead unfortunately, but both hit their fair share of good shots during the round. Willabur hit some great 'links like' shots into greens, could definitely see the Corballis influence... With a little bit of luck and a warmer putter he would've been much closer to the top!

Myself and RoadRunner were playing our "winter matchplay" match and, due to the fact that we'd both been hammered by our captain Fix already, we had a lot of extra motivation going into this round. We both needed a big win to have any chance of progressing. So, no beer Friday night, early to bed, up and ready to go waaayyyy too early on Saturday morning. I think I was first to arrive!

Weather wasn't great, but that didn't bother me as I was well prepared (thanks roadrunner for the tips). Straight over to the nets for some warm up. 15 mins getting the swing going, 5 minutes chipping and at least 10 mins putting and I was ready - sure beats 2 mins of putting and 3 or 4 swings on the tee box like normal... it definitely paid off.

RR got off to a slow start in the match, I was 1 under after 4 (3 up) and got to 4 up after 6. Everything was working pretty well, putting all day was good; driver didn't get me in any big trouble and I got away with a fair bad shots... Dropped a couple of shots on 7 and 8 but was very happy turning 2 over and 3 up in the match. A bad bogey on the ntp hole (couple of yds short left a tough up and down) and RR used his shot on 13 to get it back to 1. We traded birdies over the next couple of holes to win one each. I knew RR had shots on 16 and 18 so I was in a spot of bother. I got a good half on 16 with a par, one up with 2 to play and I had to do something on 17... RR hit one long towards the back of the green, I was pin high but about 25 feet right. RR got up and down easily (tap in par), however, I had a putt to win the match... BOOM, straight in the middle!

It was about then I realised that I'd been concentrating so much on the match, that I'd kinda forgotthen about my score, quick check and it's 3 birdies, 5 bogeys and the rest pars.. a lot better than ever before (previous best was 79 on any links course). Good drive down 18, decent second slightly left and failed to get up and down by a few inches, but a tap in for 74 and delighted.

Congrats to the other winners, esp Blue Note, that's a savage score!

Thanks again Fix/GG/Seve etc and see you all in Carton House next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

8 over after 8 holes, was my 8shots already gone before the front 9 was even finished.

From 8th tee onwards I hit most greens in reg or was just on the fringe. Only made one of the putts though.

I didn't hit one bunker out there and only lost one ball (water right off the 5th) happy with 35 points after my poor front nine. I think the first groups got the worst of the weather and i played much of the front nine in full raingear.

Silly mistake on my timing meant I didn't get to putt on the practice green. This really affected me and I struggled to get the pace of the greens.

Super consistent play from alanm on the day. One of the best rounds I've ever witnessed.. which was a shame as we were playing a winter match against each other which he won.

Willbur and golfhead, not as good golf but way better craic than alanm. Seriously alanm just hits the fairway, then the green then either putts his ball into the hole or right beside it. What fun is that?

Great to catchup with golfhead again. Been a long time since I've played with him before. With his new set of irons about to arrive golfhead is going back down to single figures again shortly where he belongs. Willbur has the gentlest swing I've ever seen. But somehow sends the ball a mile. I doesn't make sense and I'm still trying to figure out where he gets the speed from. Like myself his speed on the greens was a little lacking. However he sent his first putts too long, whereas I was leaving mine too short.

Great work to all on the day. Portmarnock links is a treat. Great craic and food in the bar afterwards. Wish I could have stayed around a little longer. Hope to make next round in carton!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

74, great gross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭boccy23

Hi all. Thanks for a great day out. I’ll post in more detail later. Just a quick one. I lost my pitch mark repair tool. It was on the 4th, the first par 5. I was wondering if anyone might have picked it up after us. We were out at 11:20.

It holds sentimental value for me as I got in Myrtle Beach the first time I ever went to America in 1996.

If someone did pick it up by any chance I’d love to get it back. DM me please.

Thanks again to everyone involved.

Wow, a 26 year old pitch mark repairer….. must be a record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭SEORG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

I lost a very old pitch mark repairer also with the Ryder cup logo on it (Brookline 1999).

Its a coppery brown colour. It might have had an old blue Taylormade magnetic ball marker stuck to it aswell

Just in case ye found that one too 🍻

Looks like this one :

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

So the first of hopefully many Boards golf society outings. After a few years of getting back into golf as the children have grown up and funnily want to spend less time with Dad, except when there is something I can pay for, I packed the car and headed for Dublin up the most boring road (in my opinion) in the country the N7.

With the good wife having work commitments it was down to the Dublin based brother to step up and look after the kids Saturday morning, thankfully he obliged, no doubt I’ll be caught for a reciprocal undertaking down the line at some point.

So on to the course and the anticipation was growing, who were these mysterious Boards golfers, would they be as much craic as the forum would suggest and why had they picked a coastal links golf course during a storm in February, all would be revealed.

Pulling into the carpark and the weather had not behaved, I was sure I had read on some post that all Society outings would be played in glorious sunshine and light winds, maybe something to take up with FixdePitchmark later I thought.

As I sat in the drivers seat looking at the rain hit the windscreen I began to question my decision, but golf is a game for all conditions, all abilities and overall to be enjoyed, at least that’s the story I kept telling myself. Then the normal moment of fear, had I actually packed the rain gear (or just said it 20k times to myself to do it) and did I have golf shoes (a bad habit of late of leaving them on the kitchen table much to my wifes annoyance), but thankfully all accounted for.

So check in complete and it was off to swing the club into the nets and hit some putts before meeting up with the gang, BlueNote, BohToffee and gypsy79.

First hole was a shocker, bad drive, bad 2nd and 3rd and I was questioning my life choices. I find it hard to play in rain gear, probably the reason I avoid winter golf, so I’d have to struggle on. Pars on 2 and 3 settled me down a bit before a poor double on 4 followed by 4 bogeys had me standing on the 9th wondering if I could break 30 points for the day. A solid iron and a chance at a 2 came and went but a par none the less and onto the back 9 with renewed ferver.

That disappeared with another bogey on 10, 12, 13,14,15,17,18 as the putts refused to fall and some I’d like to say unlucky driving found a few bunkers here and there. Word of advise, never aim at a bunker when you expect the wind to blow it back, the magical gravitational pull of sand on golf balls far outweighs any wind blowing in the opposite direction.

Still a par on 17 and a 5 on 18 saw me scrape over 30 points.

Unfortunately unable to hang on afterwards and celebrate BlueNotes stellar round as had to head back to Limerick but overall a very enjoyable day, golf was the overall winner, nice to meet some new golf enthusiasts and looking forward to Carton and round 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭KevH1984

This was my second Boards outing so obviously very much a newcomer to it all. Being out at 11.30 thankfully the weather gods shined on us and we had very decent conditions for our round. I had the pleasure of playing with SEORG and VW1. Both absolute gents and lovely golfers. Would not be surprised to see either bringing in a big score at one of the outings.

This was my first 18 holes since October so was interested to see how things went without major expectations. Started with a par on the first 2 followed by 2 bogies straight after. Hit a beautiful drive down the 6th which I was delighted to see won the LD. Unfortunately hit my 2nd shot at the left side of the green which went in to the heavy stuff never to be seen again. A very frustrating scratch off such a good drive. Hit the ball really well afterwards and I had 10 pars in a row I think which is definitely a record for me, I wouldn't be known for boring golf. A bad bogey on 17 after which followed my only bad drive on the 18th which resulted in a scratch. Very very frustrating. All in all 13 pars, 3 bogeys and 2 scratches left me with 30 points which is probably as bad as I could have been. My driving and irons were as good as I've hit them in a long time, think I hit 12 or 13 GIR which was nice. Lots of chances from inside 15 feet including a great chance on the NIP from just outside the winner, however didn't make a putt all day, that was the most annoying aspect of the round. Plenty to work on with the putting before the next outing but pretty happy with the day.

A big thank you to all who orgainised the day, it was very well ran and enjoyable. Sorry I couldn't stick around however had a prior engagement I needed to make. See you all at the Monty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Okay ,back from a great weekend all round. Got to meet the people behind the handles and shoot the breeze. The links is a cracking course and well done to all organisers ,Fix and Seve whom i met and those i have yet to meet, a lot of unseen work goes into organising such events and isn't always appreciated.Cracking score from bluenote a fellow Waterford..Tramore native.Enjoyed the pints and chat post round . Again great company in our 4 ball Swededmonkey, Robbok and mark. I think Friday night cost me the use of my hands on the putting. 3 and 4 putting won't cut it. Once the first putt only got halve way to the cup i was in trouble . Both ladies in my golfing life were in great form so fairways were hit and so was ikea on the way home yesterday. Hotel in portmarnock was very nice in deed and would also recommend The white sands for dinner ,where we were entertained by grown men crying as mayo defeated the Dubs. Looking forward to monty ,an other first for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Manhatton

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Manhatton

Heaven on a Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Thanks. And certainly don't worry about the speech. It wouldn't be my favourite thing to do and I can't imagine listening to me would be anyone else's.

I was probably a little bit shell-shocked from the score to be honest. I took up the game again in 2019 after a 5 year break. Since then I had a 38 and 39 point round, but other than that a mix of respectable and not remotely respectable scores. My last time breaking 36 in a competitive round was January 2020. So to hit 46 points was quite the surprise!

On Saturday I had 24 points on the front 9 and what I was actually thinking of on the 10th tee was whether I could actually get to 37. I pulled my tee shot on that hole and had to play a provisional. I assumed that was the start of a collapse. But I found the original in a decent lie and was able to pop a sand wedge onto the green and come out with three points. I found myself on 34 points on the 13th tee. I hit a perfect drive and played safe with a 6i for my second. A stupid mistake - I pulled it into the gorse (or possible long grass before the gorse) for my only lost ball of the round. I took out a three wood with my second ball and managed a double bogey for a point. On the 14th tee, I was thinking back to a round of I played in Tramore in 2011 when I was on the 15th tee with 36 points on the card. And I was still on 36 points on the 19th hole. I kind of went into a sudden death play-off with myself that day on the 19th. And I still didn't win.

Anyway, back to Saturday on the 14th tee - I pulled a 5i way left. I hit a provisional with the driver way right onto the 13th fairway I think (gypsy79 kindly retrieved the ball for me). I found the first and the lie wasn't great, but you'd still hope to have a crack at the green with it. I had a crack, but came up about 60m short. So of my last 5 full shots, I'd had 4 brutal swings. A complete collapse was definitely on the cards. But thankfully I managed to pop a gap wedge onto the green and make a decent two putt to get me to 37. That was probably the monkey off my back and it was fairly plain sailing from there. Funnily enough I actually doubled the 15th too, but a far more acceptable one. Good drive - I was a little lucky not to be in one of the bunkers. I'd an uphill lie for my second but was downwind. A hard one to judge distance wise and I misjudged it, came up short and ran back down the hill short of the green. I actually hit what I thought was a decent chip but it just kept running and ran off the green. I chipped on and took two putts for another point. But I wasn't bothered by that one. I wasn't a million miles from executing the shots I wanted to.

Then I swung it well for the last 3. Conventional par on 16 with a driver 7i, I just ran off the green on 17 with a 6i from my tee shot and had a stab at getting up and down but had a comfortable bogey. And then middle of the fairway on the last from the tee, a well hit 8i for my second which I just pushed slightly into the bunker back right of the green. Successfully got out and two putts for a bogey. But once I'd hit 37 points I was in bonus territory.

I actually found fairway bunkers on 3 of the first 4 fairways. Looking back at my round, being sensible in all three instances is one of the things happiest with. Splashed out about 10 metres on the first hole because that was sensible given how close I was to the lip. I was a little further back on the second, so hit a full sand wedge out - about 50 metres. And on the 5th hole I was a good distance back so able to get a 7i at it which I just put over the green. It's very easy to get greedy or go too conservative on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭a post punk

A bit late to post but I like to see the running commentary afterwards to study the form. Had a great day on the links with Break80,Jarietta and newcomer Rally23. The heavens opened literally as we were teeing off and I think this put Break80 off for the day with his first shot a pull left,normally a very solid golfer. Jarietta showed us some great wizardry chip shots especially on 7 , left of the green on a bad lie and hit a high chip to 8-10 feet, I was calling him Seve for the rest of the round. Rally23 is a regular playing partner on my home course and a relative newcomer to links golf, he hit some great drives on the day and a stunning 2nd shot on 18 to give him a nice par finish….. but couldn’t get anything going scorewise on the day( the year is long ).

Before I played I had a target of 30 points and that’s exactly what I hit. My driving was good in general, irons were ok ( bar the odd half hit that didn’t travel too far) I think the putting let me down big time, I just couldn’t get the suttle break close to the hole or the right speed when further away. All in all it was a pleasure to play with dry feet on a course in great condition and have some run on a decent drive when you get 1 out there.

The view from the Tee box on 16 was the highlight of the day but required a very good drive on the day into the wind. ( lost the first left ) .

See ya all in Carton House for Round2

PP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Break80

Hi all.

It's great to be back to a full year of society golf. Portmarnock is a fantastic opener to the year always. I still can't believe how dry this course is at this time of the year.

Got to The Honey Honey cafe in plenty of time to try the recommended breakfast bap and met Jarietta inside. Sitting looking out the window you could see the doubt in our faces. The Question "Are we mad" hung in the air like the steam from our coffees. Of course that question was answered when we hriettaad to rush to the hotel and the bap had to be bagged and savoured during the round.

Into the Pro shop and met Fix. I was relieved to see he had everything in hand and things were running smoothly. Never had a doubt Fix, This was one of the biggest ever and you handled it with aplomb. Fair play.

Took all Roadrunner's advice and waddled onto the first tee box like the Mitchellan Man to meet my playing partners A post punk, Rally23 and my breakfast partner Jarietta. Poor Jarietta might have had a bit of a language barrier surrounded by Corkmen and he hailing from sunny Spain.

Anyway onto my round.

Rally23 had a great par on 18 after a poor drive but a marvellous 2nd shot to the front of the green.

Post punk and Jarietta fiished with respectable scores in the 30s. A pleasure as always to be playing with 3 nice guys.

Well done to all on some unbelievable shooting on a tough course.

Congratulations to you Fix on making it a day to be remembered for all.

BREAK 80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭boccy23

Thanks to Fix and all the committee for an early season present of getting out on a dry course at this time of the year. It was simply a pleasure to see run on the ball and not having to constantly have to mark and clean the ball after every shot.

I had been working on my driving, so felt well prepared. Stood up after meeting the lads on the first and promptly knocked my drive into a dune about 20 yards in front of the tee box. A very inauspicious start indeed. Fair play to Bobster453, he came over put the preverbial arm around the shoulder, told shake it off and hit again. Second was wide right just off the fairway, but at least I was away. Scratched that hole, but had a nice par with a GIR on the second which caused Bob and Kev_s88 heartache with errant tee shots. Played solid after that without ever hitting my stride. Was enjoying the crack with Bob, Kev and Rainbow Warrior and the "pet day" that is Boards weather. Until I stood on the 8th tee and started to think I was good enough to have a "strategy"! Christ, what was I thinking. Took out the 5W as a fairway finder, decided to take a "bit" off as that bunker looked huge. Knocked it about 30 yards in front on me! Cue another scratch. Parred the 9th, so 14 points out. Not too bad I said.

10th tee was another where I ummed and awwed before taking the big stick. Didn't hit it far enough right and the wind took it on it's merry way left of the preferred line never to be seen again. Scratch! Index 1 12th was similar, low snap hook that we thought would reach the 13th fairway or at least be findable. No boccy! You should have hit the Provo. Silly mistake on my part. You live and learn.

Played some lovely golf from then on though. Drove in the bunker on 13, took my punishment, 5W followed by a lovely drawing 8i to 15 feet. 2 putts. Back on track. Drive and PW to 12 feet at the next for a regulation par. 15th was a good drive followed by repeated running up the hill to try and get a line on where to hit the next. Came off it a but and finished front of the green. Chip shot ran and ran which messed with Bob's head as he overcooked his pitch having seen my ball not check up. Another 2 putt and off on the long climb to the top of the world on the 16th tee. What a view!! It's why golf should never just be a game. Simply stunning views back in towards Dublin Bay and the Sugarloaf. The fairway looked a long carry and not the best connection had me worried. Made the rough on the left side of the fairway. I hit the best 5W from 200yds I have hit in a long time to come up pin high on the right hand side of the green. A bit over-zealous with the first left me too much to claim a par, but a 5 is never a bad result on that hole me thinks. A good 5i to the dance floor and 2 putts ion the 17th and off to the last. Picked out the fairway bunker on the right hand side. too steep a face for anything but a chop out into the fairway. A brilliant 6i from 160yds to the back of the green and 2 putts later I had achieved my internal goal of at least getting 30 points. Probably a bit more for me out there if the driver behaved. Was surprised with hearing other complaining regarding the pace of the greens. I found them perfect. But, again, I'm coming off of temporaries, so anything would be better.

Overall, it was one of the most enjoyable days I have ever had on a golf course. Most thanks have to go to my playing partners, Bobster, Kev & Rainbow. 'Twas a pleasure lads. As Bobster has already elicited, twas not to be his day. But shur, the chicken soup, ham sandwich and bag of Tayto's were good! Kev had some ups and downs and we finally got to have a chat about his beloved Jaguars and all things NFL. We will have to pick that one up again. Rainbow was the steady eddie of our group. Same ball all the way around. There should be some sort of prize for that alone Fix (?). I thought his 35 points would be very close until I started to hear murmurings of a 46 points. Never thought I, but fairplay to Bluenote. That's a fantastic score. I've heard that Shane Lowry has been on looking for his irons back!! That change of irons must feel very good now.

Thanks again to our illustrious captain and all his merry men for the excellent day out. See you all next month in Carton.

what a stunning day for golf!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Well popped my cherry at my 1st Boards golf outing. Well done to all Fix, Seve and all the committee for organising a great day on a great course. Coming from parkland winter golf with placing (lots of nice cushioned lies) struggled off the links turf especially with my higher lofted irons.

Was in the second last group with BallyK, Young Ciano15 who had originally gone to other Portmarnock and great lad from Limerick not sure his username. Turned out I knew Ballyk nearly 20 years from my eggchasing days small world.

Drove off the first with my 11 degree lob wedge which went about 200ft in the air and about 80ms. Hacked my way up finishing off with tapping in a 7fter for a point! Steadied down a bit after that highlight putting it to 4ft on 3rd and getting the putt for a 2. We really should have printed off the course guide as none of us knew the course and got ourselves in trouble a few times by hitting the ball into trouble when plenty of room other side of fairway like the 10th! Nearly got a second 2 on 17 when lipped hole with 25ft putt from just off the green but that would just have been greedy. On 18 kids on side clapped every shot even one of the lads hitting it 10yds out of trouble. Tumbleweed when I hit my shot, even though just short of green. Aim was to break 30 which just about managed and only had 1 blank lots of 1 pters.

Young Ciano got off to a great start smashing a 3w down the middle. He nearly birdied the 1st 2 holes lipping out on both. We thought this was going to be his day as was playing great. Then he brought the big shiny new Sim Driver which he had just bought the day before - Boom 20 yds in the sh*te ball never to be seen again. Unfortunately he couldn't resist taking out the new big dog with very mixed results reckon it could have been the difference between him being in the prizes and not as rest of game was great. I think I saw it back on Adverts this morning! He has the game though and will def be in the prizes in the future.

BallyK was steady enough highlight parring the index 1, was just unlucky a couple of time like when one shot plugged half way up the face of 10ft bunker!! It was unfortunately a day to mainly forget for my other playing partner though he did have some lovely shots showing it was just one of those days, don't think he had played in a long time.

Looking forward to Carton.

Post edited by Luckycharm on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well I've finally managed to remove all of the layers I had put on. Only took 2 days, but I was kept cozy, so can't complain too much.

We were completely blessed this weekend and managed to find the calmest 6 hour window of the weekend. Being out in the second group, I did have to put up with the rain for about 30 minutes or so, but to be fair, it wasn't too much of a hassle to deal with. After the @RoadRunner prep, I'd enough spare gloves in the bag that I could drop the wet ones and put on a fresh dry glove...as well as a spare dry hat.

Its a new year for the society, and feels like one of true evolution. Implementing the Clubnet app removed the need for handling cash, no more rooting around in the bag/wallet to dig out a €2 coin 💰️ A massive influx of new blood, and the timely return of some society stalwarts is great to see.

Walked on to the putting green, and thought to myself, "OK, we've brought in some serious guys here", as I chatted briefly to a new member who was setting himself up and calibrating for using Aim-point on the course. Snapped back to reality by a roar of "ROADRUNNERRRRR" from GolfHead on the 1st tee. Yes, Mr Prep was still hitting in to the Net as his playing partners awaited. Was it all a tactical bluff? Had roadrunner messed with our heads with all his talk of layers, practice, arrive early, etc...

Made my way to the first to see some familiar faces, @Seve OB & @BigChap1759, alongside a Guest of Seve's who'd filled a late empty spot (a guest I'd played 9 with late last year out in one of this years venues, Greystones). Myself and Seve, who have recently enough returned from a trip to the States where we'd played golf in shorts, had rueful looks on our faces. We were back to Irish golf with a bang as the wind & rain blew in. I was facing into an extra challenge on the day, a matchplay game against BigChap. My first year playing in this little Winter matchplay side event, and taking on one of last years finalists, so a definite baptism of fire. only the 1 stroke between us, me off 9, bigchap 8, so would only have 1 shot, on the index 1, in the match.

Stepped up on the first. Hitting a 3w, as this would normally leave me in range with an iron. Hit it OK, middle of the fairway, but not long. Wind did its job and left me with about 180 odd yards to the green. BigChap had hit a decent drive, up the left of the fairway and had an iron in hand, so knew I likely needed a decent shot. It didn't come, but, but was bad enough to be OK as it stopped about 3-4 yrds short of the water hazard 😀. Left with about 80 yards in and a strong crosswind, hit a good wedge in to about 15ft. A 2-putt bogey for a half ensued as BigChap had missed the green and lipped out his par putt for the up&down. Phew, time to settle down.

On to the second, a short par 4, but one that can be tricky to judge, especially with the rain & wind still blowing at that point. Driver came out & hit a decent draw, missed the fairway though, up the left and found a terrible lie in a divot with a tuft of grass raised behind it. Managed to thump an iron out but it drifted right and left myself shortsided behind the bunker. BigChap had gotten a flier with his approach and had run through the green. Decided to play the percentages and not be too aggressive with my line. Took the bunker out of play and left myself with about 15ft again. This time, however, I managed to drain the putt for par and again, BigChap just missed his up&down. 1-Up and feeling a little more comfortable.

The third, a tricky par 3, with a sideways wind. Hit a good iron, right on the line I wanted, but the wind just didn't bring it in. Played a baby fade starting on the bunker left, but it only came in a couple of yards. Avoided the bunker, but didn't come back enough to hit the green. BigChap had some bad luck at this point. Hit the bunker that I had avoided, but the ball rested at the back of the bunker, so was a very tough downhill lie. He got it out well, but was always going to travel so ran out of green at the back. He made a good putt from off the green back to about 3ft. Was feeling a bit guilty, but said to myself, its early in the match, its just outside gimme range, so will take a look. I had failed to get up&down, but had a 4 in the bag. As became a recurrence a couple of times for BigChap, he slightly pulled the short one, and missed, putting me 2-up

The par 5 4th was halved in good Pars. Both taking different approaches. I had found fairway, but couldn't get there in 2, BigChap, missed the fairway on the left, so had to take an iron. He hit a good one and put himself into a good position, in range of a full wedge. I took out the 3w, and said I'd try get as far down as I could. Knew it would put me beyond the fairway bunkers, but short of the greenside ones. It came off and I was left without about a 40yrd pitch from the left side. BigChap was first away & hit a very nice ball in, carried the pin, but left himself about 15-20ft back down the hill. Knew I had to hit a good one & I did, aimed right of the pin, landed in a good spot and it fed left towards the pin to about 7-8ft. Both missed our birdie putts, but comfortable pars.

Was feeling pretty good about my game at this point, 2-up through 5, striking the ball well. On to the 5th, the index 2. Stepped up again, feeling I can put a decent drive on this into a good spot. Hit probably my worst shot of the day, an awful pull hook which ran straight into the middle of a dense gorse bush. BigChap hit a good spot, just short of the bunker left. Hit a provisional in case I couldn't find it which, like @Kiith has said always happens to him at past events, was striped up the fairway, probably one of my best drives of the day. Didn't need it, as I found my original in the gorse. Took an unplayable, dropped back, but was still about 280 yards or so short. Was shooting blind over the Gorse, so just hit an iron to get back in play. Realistically I needed an up & down from about 120 yards. as BigChap played solid golf up the hole and was in a strong position. I couldn't get up & down and BigChap made a solid bogey to take a hole back, so now just 1-up

On to the LD hole. Seve stepped up and hit a good old fashion Sonia O'Sullivan which ran down the fairway, took out a crow en route, which cost him a chunk of yards. Both myself & BigChap hit good drives to safe positions, missing the fairway, but only just, towards the left side bunker. BigChap flared an iron for his second a little right, but not in a bad spot, I thumped a solid hybrid up to leave myself a wedge in. BigChap was first to play, and hit a safe one on the green, but would be leaving a bit of work for his 2-putt. I stepped up feeling good about my number, but what should happen... a dreaded "Rhymes with Stank" (and it did have some stank on it). Found it, but in a nasty spot. Could get an 8-iron to the ball and punch it out low, to the right edge of the green. Wasn't out of the hole, but wasn't looking great. A 2-putt from just off the green would give me a 6 & the outside chance of a half. Our visitor G, was long and off the green. Neither himself or BigChap could see each other from their relative positions and both struck almost simultaneously. Both balls heading towards each other from opposite angles, with some pace. Crashed into each other & it stopped BigChap's ball about 5ft past the hole. Was my luck turning against me? We holed out & BigChap won the hole, but wasn't sure if he should be penalised. We agreed that it was probably OK, so back to all square. A quick WhatsApp check with the stricken-down @Golfgraffix on a ruling, clarified and agreed with our thinking on it, so there was nothing hanging over the match.

7 was a pretty tough hole at that point with the direction of the wind. I didn't hit a great drive, pushed high & right. Found it, but in a terrible lie. BigChap was in the middle of the Fairway after a nice drive, so was in range to go for the green in 2. Was thinking to myself, can I really take on the water carry, which was about 160 yards out, from a very poor lie. Decided it wasn't worth the risk & just hit a ball out and down about 50 yards or so. Was left with about 115 yards to the green. Hit what I thought was a perfect line & strike. But hadn't learned my lesson from the 3rd. The wind neither held nor moved the ball, as it was blowing into & from the Left side. Left myself long & left, lying 3. BigChap did take on the green, but it came out a little low. He rode his luck catching the top of the hazard and shooting over the first greenside bunker. But left himself a tricky pitch over the (very nice) newly added bunker. He pitched over, but everything was running away from him and it trickled off the front edge. was a front pin though, so he probably had about 20ft straight up the hill. I was looking at a nasty downhill breaker. Was hoping to get up&down and scramble a 5. My putt just kept building momentum though & ran about 10ft past. BigChap came on & was far too agressive. Left himself a nasty 4ft, downhill breaker. I missed my 10fter & tapped in for 6. BigChap with the 4ft putt for the win & lead, pulled it a fraction again & missed low. A serious break for me & lucky to still be All Square.

8 is a great hole, a real tricky little test. BigChap up first & was very unlucky to catch the fairway bunker right at the bend in the dogleg. I stepped up with 3w looking for position. Made an awful strike, just cleared the end of the pathway from the tee boxes, but landed about a yard onto the fairway. Took a glance at the GPS & was reading 200yrds to the green. Completely unsighted, was left with a decision. Flick a wedge down to the corner & leave another one in, or go for broke and take on the aggressive option. Asked where the green was. Seve said, somewhere towards the couple of trees in the distance. Time to take a chance and take on the SeveOB/Roadrunner shot, as the lads called it. Made a perfect contact with my hybrid (old reliable) & straight on the line of the trees in the distance. 8 is a tricky green at the best of times. Walked down to the corner, looked up & saw my ball sitting about a yard or so from the front edge of the green. Happy days. BigChap had a nasty lie in the bunker & could only thump it out & forward. Caught his approach thin & it flew into some nasty stuff off the left side. Got to my ball & hit a great putt from off the front up to about 18 inches. Tap in par & turned a terrible drive into a win & back to 1-up.

Onto 9, the par 3. Feeling good after a win. Hit a smooth 9-iron to about 10ft. BigChap with a slight pull, got a nice bounce off the mound and was just off the green, but on the short stuff. Hit his putt from off the green to 3ft, which I conceded. I then hit a terrible birdie putt, leaving it 3ft short. BigChap said...well since you conceded mine, I guess I have to give you yours! The hole halved, we finally remembered we were also playing a Boards competition here too. I rolled in my par putt. But then, BigChap missed his. Had I been too generous, too fast, would that concession come back to bite me? 1-Up after 9.

Onto 10, a very tricky hole. Pushed my drive, missed the fairway right of the line marker. BigChap with a lovely draw into a good position. BigChap hit a great approach, holding that 10th green in 2 is almost like a miracle. I left mine just short, rolled down into the hollow. Again, failed to get up & down, BigChap just missing his birdie putt, but tapping in for the win & back to all square again (the concession on 9 still playing in the back of my mind)

11, and nearest the pin. BigChap with the honour steps up & hits an absolute beaut that would go on to win the NTP. A perfectly struck, High Draw, rode in nicely on the wind. Knew I needed to play to try hit it close rather than heart of the green stuff. Hit my ball about a yard short of perfect, hitting in to the top of the hill short. On a drier day it might have stayed up & kicked forward, but after the rain of the prior days it thumped in softly & released back down the hill. An up & Down wouldn't have mattered as BigChap rolled in a super birdie putt for his 2 on the day. For the first time in the match I was 1-down. Needed to forget the 9th & pick myself up.

The 12th is the index 1, and my one hole with a stroke. My change to bounce back. And I did just that. Both hit our drives to similar spots, up the left of the fairway, close to the bunker. Still a decent dig in. Clubbed up to make sure of it. Hit a good strike, maybe too good, leaving me slightly long & left. BigChap also missed the green short & right. We both chipped on to the green, but neither sticking them close. Knew I only had to match him, which I did. A pair of 2-putts, for 5s, mine with a stroke. Wasn't down for long, back to All Square.

On to the par 5 13th, I hit an OK drive, pushed a little right, so lengthening the hole. BigChap hit his drive of the day. A high draw over the big fairway bunker. Caught a great bounce & shot forward. Green maybe not on in 2, given the conditions, but would be getting himself in wedge range at least. I was well back, and not in a great lie, just off right of fairway. Just needed to thump it forward get in range of hitting the green. Managed to do so, but still had about 165 yards for my third. Hit probably my cleanest strike of the day, ball went in a line straight at the flag, cutting through any wind that was blowing. Knew I'd hit it well soon as it left the club. Wandered up to BigChaps ball where he was hitting his third & could see I was in a good place. He hit a solid wedge to the middle of the green. Was maybe left with 20ft. Got up to say I was about 8-10ft from it. BigChap knocked his putt dead, a safe par. I was facing a snakey left-to-right breaker, hit a good line, and had just the right pace to make the birdie & win the hole. Back to 1-up again.

On to the short 14th. Seve, at this point had changed his gloves and was starting to stripe his drives again, was like being back in Florida again for a moment. Solid drives again from myself & BigChap, staying close to each other. We both had wedges left & hit the green, but neither could convert the birdie putt, and walked off with a pair of 4s.

On to the tricky 15th, always a hold I struggle with. Hit an OK drive, but popped up a little high, so short of yards. BigChap hits another smooth, easy, baby draw. Sticking with my approach all day, clubbed up a bit & proceeded to over account for the wind. Another good strike, pin high, but missed up the left side. Dodged the heavy gorse on the hillside, so in safe shape. BigChap caught his thin & found the bunker short of the green. Hits a great shot out of the bunker that releases up the green well, but a tough shot & can't get up & down. A five on the card though. I'm in a good spot. Seve in a very similar one. He gets his just up & on the green & it continues to trickle down to hole. I try the same thing & mine dies a death. Takes me 2-putts to get down, another half, 1-up, 3 to play.

We eventually find the alternative tee box on 16th, and what a tee box it is. It offers a spectacular 360 view of the course and the surrounding county & sea. We all took a moment to take it all enjoy & enjoy the luck we'd had with the weather. On 16 I thought I'd hit a great drive. But as I watched it started to look like it was flirting with the second fairway bunker up the right, it continued to flirt, and then gave him & rolled into the sand. BigChap hit a high pull & got lucky with being able to see his ball as it was careening towards trouble. Neither of us in great shape, but maybe a slight advantage to me, just due to the length of approach left. BigChap got his ball back onto the fairway, but probably had about 130-140yrds left. I could only get a wedge to the ball in the bunker, but hit it well and left about 80yrd to the pin. BigChap hit a great ball, controlled low flight that he was trying to hit. Landed front edge of the green but ran out and through the back. Was very unlucky, as was the exact shot he was trying to execute. I hit a nice wedge to about 20ft. 2-putt for me & pressure was on BigChap. He hit a great long putt from off the green, probably a 70-80ft putt. Stopped about 4ft from the pin. This time, there was no pull on the short one, rolled it in to stay within 1.

17 is a tough hole. Seve stepped up first & stuck one into the heart of the green. Sounds like a similar spot to where Alanm made his 2. I missed the green right, but up on the top tier & in OK shape. BigChap hit another good ball. Drawing in nicely. This one though, shot forwards & bounded up the bank through the green into the heavy stuff. We had a dig around, eventually finding it in an awful spot. Not going to lie, I was thinking the match was over at this point. But, having made a great recovery on the prior hole, there was a repeat, a fantastic shot out of the heavy stuff onto the green. Didn't get up & down, but to be honest, his 4 was a miracle 4 from that spot. For me, an up & down would have killed the match. Made a nice strike with my wedge and it rolled out nicely to 3ft. For the first time on the day I was infected with a slight pull, ball caught the lip and looped around the back of the hole. Still 1-up, but the match should have been done, and you don't want to be relying on an easy finishing hole on 18 in Portmarnock. As a sidenote, whilst getting so side-tracked on the match, Seve made a superb birdie 2 on the hole, much to the disappointment of BigChap, as his share of the pot and just been chopped 😉

A great finishing hole, in 18, at Portmarnock. Driver hadn't really let me down all day & hit another solid one. This time straight down the left. Finishing just beside the Fairway bunker, in the first cut. BigChap smoked one on a great line, just carrying the top of the bunker up the right side of the fairway. I'm first away, and hit a solid iron in. Fading over the corner of the dune up the left side of the green & just running through the back. In an OK spot, not an easy up & down, but able to get a club on it without trouble. BigChap didn't get a great strike on his approach & it came to a stop just passed the bunker on the right of the green. Both of us facing up & downs to win & halve the match. BigChap was first to play, and left himself some work, probably about 15ft short. I played a very conservative chip on, leaving about 8ft. BigChap just missed his putt, leaving me with 2 for the win. It took me those 2, but as Seve said...."If you have 2 to win, why not use them". A win, 1-up, and a great day out.

We remembered then that we were actually playing a boards competition, so had to tot up our scores. 30 points for me overall, not bad, but not great. A solid steady return to Boards golf in 2022.

Settled in afterwards to a tasty burger & turned to the world of Admin, running through cards with Seve. Smiling faces around the Snug, people enjoying their food, the company, new & old, and the experience of the course & the day. You could almost trick yourself into believing the world had returned back to normality

@FixdePitchmark has a busy year ahead of him, but there's no better man to step up to the plate & deliver. Well done to all the winners, some remarkable golf played over the weekend.

I do love this society, its one that brings different people together with a joint passion. People who refer to each other by random usernames. Nowhere else in my life do I have a nickname at this stage of my life, but answer to "Space" when it gets called out at a boards outing. We get some strange looks from other golfers in Clubhouse... Why are they calling that fella over there "Tiger", he must be some golfer?

See ye all in Carton, hopefully to play with some new faces & continue to catch up with some old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Rainbow Warrior

What has amazed me about the Boards GS is the effort that members put in to attend the 'get togethers'. Getting up at a ridiculous hours of the day to travel in some cases long distances (and the cost) or having to shell out for accommodation the night before where applicable and so on. I think that this is testament not only for the love of golf but a homage to the committee for the organisation that goes on long before the list of courses we are going play over the months is announced. It is also a homage to all in the Society as well.

All I would like to say about Saturday was that my playing partners, Bobster, Kev_s88 and Boccy23 were great company so thanks guys it was a pleasure playing with you. A great time with great company and the most amazing weather considering we had Storm Eunice on Friday, followed by Franklin on Sunday.

Looking forward to Carton House.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Very good, but you do know bigeasy's prize is for the best post not the longest 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

I didn't mention it in my post but I have to say well done to all the organisers of the day and the committee off the boards golf soc. Its clear to see that this is a labour of love for you guys. Something that was very apparent was how connected on a personal level my playing partners were with each other and several other members of the soc. There is a genuine affection there that is years in the making and really lovely to see.

Space is the dude in Good Will Hunting - remarkable detail.

Thanks Seve and Space for having everything ready - made life very easy for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭bobster453

Haha I was reminiscing on my round, as is my wont, and so too do a lot of us judging by the posts.

"Emotion recollected in Tranquility" as the bould Wordsworth said and a thought struck me.

I have been playing with my Titleist 775-CB's since October, quite well, as in regularly 22-26 pts on 12 holes open on course and scored quite a few less over 18 on saturday.

Decision friday evening to either play with Callaway Diablo's or MD Seve's instead didn't help matters.As you can see I am gone beyond changing clubs and buying new ones. You young un's probably wouldn't recognise those clubs..or would you?

Note to self:You are old enough to know better 😁

Ah well.."Ad astra per aspera"

Two's winnings have now been added back to your competition purse

Long post!!

I must say I really look forward to the first outing of the year and more so that it’s been held in Portmarnock for the last few, a tough but enjoyable season opener that sets the tone for the year ahead. I spend the 90-minute drive up from the midlands listening to classic rock ballads (sad I know!!) but it had me nice and relaxed and ready to go when I got there, rain at the back of my mind as it doesn’t bother me at all. Met Benny, Tiger and Princess Poppy in the car park and straight away the banter started, it was like we were meeting for our usual Saturday morning 4 ball and the way the slagging was going, it was like we were lifelong friends who could say anything to anyone!! A testament to the great nature of the members of this unique golf society where friendships are formed that will last for years. A friendly chat with our fantastic new Captain, a man I’m personally delighted to see take the roll for 2022 and one who will help move the society forward, organised and a friendly hello to old and new members. A massive, massive thanks has to go out to Golfgraffix, Seve and Space for all the work they do behind the scenes and with so many golfers expressing an interest to play this year, it was a mountain of a task to get all sorted and everyone transitioned onto the new system. Hours and hours of work by the lads went into this and I, and everyone here, must applaud you for your stellar work, thank you.

On to the round!! Feeling confident on the first tee I took out my driver, thinking I’m far enough back on the green tees and I let it rip!! Slightly left but thought I was ok and had enough room but found my ball sitting nicely in the bottom of the drain. Had the chance to try hit out but said I would take my medicine and take my drop. Made a bit of a mess of my chip (haven’t played a dry links in a few months) and walked off with a 7.

Drove left on the net hole but recovered well with second shot. Nice chip this time and two putts for bogie – my plan for the day, play sensible bogie golf.

Next up was the Par 3, nice tee shot to the left of the green, bump and run my 7 iron to a few feet and sank the putt for Par, delighted.

On to the 4th, half my sandwich consumed and nailed another drive and then I hit a 3 wood the best I could ever hit it (220m off the deck) to end up beside the green. Chip and 2 putts for another Par. Confidence was growing.

I repeated this for the next two holes, 2 more pars, first time since I started playing golf that I had more than 2 pars in a row and here I have 4 with one of them on the index 2 meaning 15 points for 5 holes.

Hit another great drive on the 7th, just about got over the drain with my second and then hit my chip shot a bit too far and up to the back of the green then the Achilles heel of my game – a 3 putt from nowhere. Double bogey.

Took the sensible approach to the dogleg 8th and it didn’t work. Tee shot was fine but hit my second into the gorse bush on the left and couldn’t find the ball. Played again and left my approach short. Chipped on and sank a decent length putt for the point. Cheers all around for Kieran’s vision to play his chip up the bank to turn nearly 90 degrees and roll towards the hole – unfortunately just shaving it. Would have been some shot.

I love the next Par 3, a decent length but nice and tough. Tee shot safe left and two putts – another Par. What’s going on here, where did this game come from? I had been playing decent the first 3 rounds of the year but not this good. Turned with 20 points.

I was getting ahead of myself when normal service resumed and I made a balls of the 10th and a scratch.

Bogie on the next Par 3, happy to score here.

Next was the index 1, a tough hole. Good drive, good approach, a 5, I’ll take that.

The new internal OOB caught me on the next hole as I hit the worst drive of the day way left. Reloaded and then hit the fairway bunker, didn’t get out first time so hole was lost.

Reset the head, had a drink of water and then hit the best drive of the day on the 14th. Had about 50m left to the green and sank the putt for birdie. Where has this golfer been for the last 15 years?? I was on cloud 9.

Pars were getting common and had another on the 15th after going right with my drive I managed to chip over the hill to the edge of the green. Chip and putt for 4

Another wayward drive right on the 16th had me chipping up over the hill. Landed in the greenside bunker and another 3 putt for a 6. Still a point and I new they would all be valuable, if I was able to score here today, we knew a decent score was coming in from someone.

Made a right balls of the 17th and lost my ball in the trees to the right, scratch.

Stood on the 18th tee, said to myself I’m going to make up for the previous hole and myself and Fix absolutely nailed our drives leaving only short chips onto the green, a chip and I landed near the back of the green and got the putt back for my 7th Par of the day and the most I’ve ever had in a round.

1 birdie, 7 pars, 3 bogies, 7 doubles or worse. Absolutely delighted with myself. I’ve hit a purple patch with my golf late last year and thankfully it has continued into this year, tweaks to setup both with my clubs and between my ears have resulted in some very decent scores which will continue on to my home course and get my handicap down to where it should rightly be. A battle I am not going to give up easily as its too easy to be bashed for playing well if you have a high handicap.

I have to say, if I only scored 1 point or 100 points for the round I wouldn’t have cared, it was the course and the absolutely fantastic company for the round that made the day for me. Fix is a character and I hope he never changes, a breath of fresh air and someone I now consider a dear friend. His game let him down in parts on Saturday, which was to be kind of expected, it’s a lot of work to make sure everyone gets out and he’s so meticulous this took preference ahead of his own pre-round preparations. Kieran battled though 8 inches of snow to make the trip, a brave man, he showed that he has some decent golf in him but unfortunately the driver wasn’t behaving, if it did he would have had a much better score, same can be said for one of our new members GymTanLaundry, a great short game only let down by a few wayward drives. Was a pleasure playing the round with you.

Apologies for not mentioning the round of the year from Blue Note, well done, super super round of golf. We'll all be out to catch you over the next few rounds!!!

I beginning to wonder who this new Fix lad is - don't worry, the real cranky Fix will rise again.

But for the moment - we will keep the good vibes going 🤣

( A 50 pt round and a 5 hour round - come back to me) 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement