Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society (Round 1) Portmarnock Links (19th Feb)

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads - can I thank SEORG for a 4 ball for Castletroy - this is a course that was in the short list. As I felt Limerick is a place very underrepresented. It seems a vibrant course - and one tricky to get out on.

I'll issue this as a prize to a suitable Munster based player at some point - or keep as a captains day prize.

Very sound - things like this help in keeping costs down and the strength of the society going forward.

Longer term - we as a group have not travelled into the Northern parts at all - Ulster etc. But that is for another days chat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Finally recovered after the weekend. Was shattered after the drive home, and only got back after 10pm. Add the stressful day on Friday, and the very enjoyable golf, and i was in absolute bits come Sunday. Well worth it though. Coming up the M50 on Saturday morning, you wouldn't have blamed anyone for calling in sick. Was absolutely lashing rain, and i was a bit worried about the conditions. Worried for nothing though, as it turned into a lovely day, with no rain after our 1st tee shot, and very little wind (for Portmarnock).

Started off with a poor drive, pulled into the right, but found it and was able to get myself back into a decent position to salvage a point. Got a decent run of bogies over the next few holes, and felt i could start racking up some points if i get into the swing of things. Then of course I scratched the 6th (long drive hole), after putting myself in the bunker on the left, and then going into the gorse trying to get out of the bunker. Found it, but it was not really playable, and scratched it. Took a few mins to get my mind right (and pick out any bits of gorse that were stuck in my back) and moved onto the next.

Got a par on the 7th after a nice drive, and then had my hole of the day on the 8th. Nice drive that nearly ran too long, but stuck me with less then 100 yards to the pin. 48 wedge to 2 feet and sank the putt for a birdie. Was followed by a par on the 9th as well, to finish the front 9 with 20 points and me feeling good.

Back 9 was not so good, and started to get pretty tired. Few awful drives, topping two in the space of 3 holes. Lost my first ball on 13, topping it into the heavy rough, and another on 18 into the **** on the right. Only managed 12 points for the back 9, which was disappointing, but it is what it is.

Played with ssbob, Hattons and richie, and they were all great playing partners. We'd have had a good score if it was a 4ball anyway. And sorry for mentioning that bunker @ssbob ...i'm usually not that right :P

Fair play to everyone who organised it as well. Fantastic 1st outing for the year, and looking forward to many more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

So!!!

Without further ado, after much deliberation, late night soul-searching and comparative analysis - the results of the inaugural Stinger Post of the Outing are in!!! A big thank you to Stinger Golf, an enterprise of a fellow boardsie, for sponsoring Captain Fixde's new brainchild.

He was the clubhouse leader and in the end had done just enough to hang on despite some late valiant attempts to surpass him, post of the outing goes to society stalwart @RoadRunner for his epic bad weather preparation routine, which we were very relieved to discover he doesn't follow exactly to the letter!

Congratulations Roadrunner and hopefully you'll be able to fit your prize into all your layering, I hear the Stinger Golf bamboo cotton polo is ideal for layering up, so you should be A1!

There is also a prize of a sleeve of ProV 1s for the Stinger post of humour which goes to the returning @bobster453

Congratulations to the poet of the forum on his ode to the links, that was a close contender for the main prize.

There's also a sleeve of ProV 1s for the Stinger post of merit which goes to another society stalwart (not a factor in the my decision making I promise you!) in @spacecoyote for his epic to rival Homer's Iliad. I know a few joked that there wasn't a prize for longest post but Space was onto a winner! I love the detailed post-round shot by shot breakdown of a course I've just played in the same condition and appreciate the effort people put into posting them!

Well done to Fixde on such a positive innovation for the society to drive traffic back to the forum where it all began. Thank you to everyone who posted, I've enjoyed reading them all however long!

Not that that I want everyone to outdo Space for the Monty outing!

Post edited by The Big Easy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Cheers @The Big Easy appreciate the award and prize. I promise to avoid any Paradise Lost-esque epic posts for the future outings.

Looking forwards to adding another new ball marker to my collection. Great idea @FixdePitchmark , a nice way to keep the traffic up on the Forum and try get everyone involved & engaged.

With a match against current Captains & GOTY holder @charlieIRL likely coming up in Carton, which will probably be, at best, a 7&6 loss for me, I don't think I'll be quite as filled with enthusiasm to post in detail about my solid drubbing 😥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well done to the posters

it has been epic here lately and anyone would swear we as a society of a few nutcases are single handedly trying to give new boards the kiss of life and bring it back from the dead

lets keep it up for the rest of the year ladies and gents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Class stuff The Big Easy and all the winners - it is class that Roadrunner was late for his tee time 😂 (if the rumours are true). I trialed out his concpet on Dollymount beach the night before - and about 3 KM from the car got absolutely drenched in sleet and snow - was the coldest I ever was - and my raingeear was wet the next day.

Nice to see a bit of poetry back on the golf forum, thanks a million to our resident poet Bobster (I've been know to dabble in my own, poor urban poetry myself).

As for Space - I think we are all a bit shocked at the detail (but I will add, there are a good few people I know can do that).

Anyway thanks for all the posts - there were also great, even one liners and small build up comments - that did not go unnoticed and could get a listing at some point.

The ball marker (Along with each prize) is only an additional token gesture to mark our sponsor - but hopefully, becomes a signature / badge of a great post winner in the society.

Thanks guys again - The Big, can I enter this (joke 😜)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bobster453

Thanks @The Big Easy for the award, humbled and appreciative,at least I can now say I won something on a boards outing..well nearly.

Hard task to judge something like this with so many great posts both before and after the round.

@RoadRunner's post was just the ticket and well deserved the prize, I may not have played great but was warm and dry and the chicken soup in the flask worked a treat with the ham sambo and Tayto crisps.

I just don't know how @spacecoyote and @Seve OB and others manage to break each hole down so well and not just their shots but their playing partners as well.

I think they must spend half the round talking into their phones or something, I couldn't remember a single hole( which in my case might be an instance of dissociative amnesia trying to block out the trauma)

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Big thanks to stinger.ie and thebigeasy. great idea for a post-of-the-event from fix and stinger. Really nice way to reward good content. Delighted my post was well received. The new polo is on it's way to me and im looking forward to rocking the new gear at carton.

Again I immensely enjoyed the day and the golf. For a while I though I might be in the running for the win with my 35pts, but in the end I was just pipped at the line, by 11 strokes 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I returned to the scene of the crime today - I'd the round booked in a few weeks ago. I didn't think I played all that much worse, but I took an extra 9 shots!

The whites make a decent difference. Chunking a chip into a bunker and taking 2 to get out made a difference. Shanking a 6 iron made and having to reload on the 3rd made a difference. And 5 three putts made the biggest difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So what you are saying is you played absolutely sh1te, but you still would have won by 2 shots 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

No, l played pretty well, I just threw away a few shots. Shanks happen. I'm pretty sure that's a tee shirt you can buy. Chunking into a bunker isn't unusual either. What was unusual the first day for me was no three putts.

Advertisement