Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your “Must Have” WFH equipment?

Options
  • 18-01-2022 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭

After working from home for close to two years now, they’ve finally told us that we’re only ever going to be in the office twice a month going forward.

This has made work from home pretty much permanent. While I enjoy it, I’m not really set up for it. Work is not going to pay for anything, so I have to kit out my home office (kids bedroom) myself.

I’ve just bought myself a 32”4K monitor. They have me on a list for a replacement laptop (current is 5.5 years old). I’m currently set up on an old table, not ergonomic height and only 60mm deep. I’m thinking of getting a standing desk from ikea. Chair I have is old but decent enough and if I’m using a standing desk probably not essential

what else is good to have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,496 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When I started working from home I made sure I got:

1) decent sized monitor

2) wireless keyboard and mouse, so that laptop could be closed and not be on the desktop

3) good office chair

4) good set of speakers for music/radio

5) decent desk light for those darker times

Desk would probably have been 1st thing, but already had a good one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Working from home two years myself so:

Good quality desk- you're sitting at it for hours on end (thankfully I had one from IKEA that was used with my own computer)

A good seat. I ditched my cheapo Viking Direct seat and replaced it with the one we used in our office (they allowed us to take them home)

Decent sized monitor- it just makes the work flow easier

An ergonomic mouse- you'll be using it for hours each day

A lamp on your desk for the dark evenings

Personally I have a large desk so I have music equipment on it as well as I enjoy sitting and istening to CDs/Spotify (amp, CD player, streamer, speakers)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Don’t forget, if you’re a PAYE worker anything considered essential/required needs to be provided by your Employer. This includes Seat, Desk, Extra Monitors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I echo Niman,

I'd say go bigger than you think you need for the desk, you'll use the space and go for two monitors. If you're o zoom a lot think about the light and where it's positioned for your viewers as well as you.

If I had to pick one thing it would be the desk size.

Possibly check with your employers, mine paid for a new desk, chair and everything else I needed, yours might too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Decent camera, microphone and speakers. Being able to have to clear conversation with someone without needing to look down at the screen or struggle to listen is really essential. I use headphones some of the time, but other times it's nice to be able to have a more natural conversation.

Standing desk is great. I use it for standing, but I also use it for training. Bike on the turbo trainer fits right in under the desk at full height, I get an hour's cycling in while working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

Background blur setting on the camera

Massive coffee mug, ideally with USB powered heatpad.

Endless supply of nibbles/munchies.

A door, to keep the dog out.

A rug for the dog, for when I forget to close the door.

Openable window for some air.

Closeable window with good insulation to block out the sound of neighbour's dog barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A large fish tank with a good mix of community fish , various colours , bottom ,mid and top level dwellers .

Decent substrate and plants with lighting on a timer.

I don't work from home but if I did...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

A good relationship counselor if your partner is also WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Have you got a reference for this?

they refused to buy a monitor/keyboard/mouse because “your laptop already has them”

worked at the kitchen table for a year before buying a cheap table

The IKEA standing desk is great. I was sceptical, as is so cheap compared to one from an office furniture store (1/3 of the price). But it is solid, doesn't wobble at all even at maximum height, is dead easy to lift and lower with the handle, and is good for me even at 6 foot 5. I think it should be an essential bit of kit for everyone

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/trotten-desk-sit-stand-beige-anthracite-s79429584/

• Advertisement

A monitor/keyboard/mouse aren't essential as the laptop does have them, so technically they are already providing those (although your productivity may go down) - They are correct with that, so in essence, they are not essential.

A desk (for a safe working environment and a seat to go with that) are essential as a kitchen table/chair wouldn't be considered a safe/healthy working environment.

Similarly, anything that an employer 'requests' of you - ie, 'You need to get a new webcam in addition to your laptop', they have to provide. I can't be arsed looking but it should be availbale on mygov or Citizens Info etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

I’d recommend a USB hub too if your monitor doesn’t have one built in.

The monitor I have connects to the laptop by USB C and that is the only cable I need. It handles the power, the display and my keyboard and mouse adapters are in the monitor. Makes it much easier to move to another room when needed and cuts down on risk of damaging cables.

I prefer a headset to microphone and speakers but that’s me.

yes, but an employers definition of 'essential' is not necessarily consistent with what I see as essential, nor of the same quality. I'm lucky in that I get an allowance to spend on what I want. If it were down to the employer to actually buy the stuff it might be a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

As a smoker a solid air purifier

It all comes under health/safety. An employer can't request you to have something and then ask you to pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

I find especially with citrix for connecting to my work machine that having a keyboard,mouse with programmable macro buttons a great time saver.(I know alot work regardless if your using citrix but for me and being a developer i use some non standard ones and certain combos wont play ball no matter what config we try to come up with on our team).

So if your that way inclined a single button mapped to your shortcut you use(plus any extra keys ya might need for it to pass through) is worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Work is not going to pay for anything, so I have to kit out my home office (kids bedroom) myself.

they refused to buy a monitor/keyboard/mouse because “your laptop already has them”

Ok, so requirement #1 is either a) a union application form; or 2) a new job. Preferably both.

This company are treating you like ****. If they're saying you need to WFH, then they need to ensure you have a safe and comfortable workspace at home as well as in the office. That means a monitor at the proper height, an actual mouse as opposed to a touchpad, etc. I mean, they cost buttons, and will actually improve your productivity.

Much more importantly, you need a comfortable desk and ergonomically adjustable chair. Your employer is legally obliged to provide these, or to reimburse you an agreed amount for your purchase of them. Have a look here: https://www.hsa.ie/eng/topics/remote_working/homeworking_guidance_9mar21_v8.pdf and/or check with the HSA.

You already have a monitor - I'd get/request a second one, definitely; so handy for most tasks, if you can't use your laptop screen as a second one.

I'd add:

* Do you use the mouse much? You need a separate one, but if there's a lot of mouse work, consider an upright one.

* Keyboard

* Decent camera (with cover). Mic and speakers, or headset with mic.

* Desk big enough for everything.

* Ergonomic adjustable chair. Your employer has to provide this but I went further and bought a decent gaming chair. Yes, expensive. Soooo worth it!

* Printer if you ever need to print stuff that can't wait until the office?

* Lighting - needs to be decent enough to read by/adjustable.

Your employer is responsible for all of the above.

Apart from that:

* Decent ventilation and/or a fan for summer

* Decent heating for winter

* For sanity's sake: a decent radio, sound system or smart speaker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

Long term, an external monitor keyboard, mouse, desk and decent chair are needed (ideally with a hub or docking station).

Working on a laptop occasionally is fine, but craning your neck at a 13” screen is going to lead to some kind of strain over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Jez, you'd want a good one to purify solid air.

I've been WFH for the past 2 years. Luckily my employer has been good and provided us with everything we need - Laptop, keyboard, mouse, headset, a monitor with the option for dual screens, docking station and a chair. If people needed a desk, they could expense one within reason. Some people needed a printer for their job, and they got those and the ink.

They also arranged a 3rd party company to do remote ergonomic assessments of our setups. Some of that was tips about seating position, monitor height, etc, but for some people they recommended specific equipment, which the company bought.

One thing that came out of the ergonomic assessment for many people was a laptop stand, to raise it up to a better position if it was being used as a second (or third) screen. Our IT department were also seeing a lot of laptops suffering from heat damage, and people complaining about loud fans, so independently they had been sending some people stands to improve air flow under the laptop.

Personally, I bought a few things myself: a much better webcam than the one built into the laptop, which is stupidly located below the screen. A better keyboard and mouse (that can connect via Bluetooth to 3 devices, so I can use them with my personal laptop too). I also upgraded the lighting in my room, as even though I'm beside a window, it faces North, so the room never really gets much light. I changed the celling light for three spotlights, so I can control and direct them. I also got a lightbar to sit on top of my monitor, so it illuminates the space in front of me, without taking up any space on my (very small) desk. And I bought my own decent set of comfortable, noise cancelling headphones, as the headset provided by the company isn't comfortable to wear for hours at a time. I actually bought my own monitor too, because I wanted a very specific model and spec for personal photography, and I only have the space for one computer setup, but the ones they were providing us were pretty decent.

Another thing I bought myself was a decent mesh WiFi system, which vastly improved the network converge, quality and stability in the house. I'm lucky that I gave decent fibre broadband, but the office room at the back of the house was a bit of a WiFi dead spot, and there's nothing worse than trying to host a Teams call and having your video and audio chopping in and out.

I think the most important thing to consider in a WFH setup is having a space that's permanently set up for work, but that you can close the door on and forget about when you're not. I know not everyone can do it, but a corner of the kitchen table isn't ideal. I do resent having to give over a portion of my family home for work, but like I said, I do use it for work on my personal laptop too, and when I want, that door can be closed and there's no reminder of the office to be seen at all.

As for companies not providing a monitor, keyboard and mouse - saying the're providing everything you need with just the laptop - I don't know. I wonder what the legal position is on that? Not an issue at all where I work, but there's no way I'd work hunched over a laptop all day every day. I'd say they'd be ripe for a claim if anyone was to develop back, neck or arm trouble. Very shortsighted attitude, even if it was fulfilling the legal reequipment of essential tools. It certainly wouldn't have passed the ergonomic assessment we were given.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Advertisement

I don't think there's anywhere where it's written down that you have to get a monitor, keyboard and mouse, but the Health and Safety Authority say that:

Employers are required to ensure that a competent* person carries out a risk assessment of an employee’s workstation in the home.

This risk assessment specifically includes a Display Screen Equipment Risk Assessment. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure a laptop alone will most likely fail that assessment.

Since they've already refused the request, your next port of call should be to request the workstation risk assessment, which is a legal requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Slight OT, but can I ask:

Have they said you are 9nly allowed into the office twice a month? Or just that you are only required to go then, but may go at other times if it suits you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Only allowed unless pre arranged, as in there'll be an expected two days a month attendance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I bought a kvm switch and a hdmi switch. Now my work laptop or my home pc can use the extra 2 monitors (or 1 each) at the press of a keyboard shortcut. I use the same keyboard and mouse for both too. Saves any messing around switching the cables.

Lots and lots of Kleenex.

And a bin.

And surround sound speakers for full immersion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I put a lot of effort into my home office as it became clear quite some time ago that I would be working long hours for a very long time at home. I did a few days on the kitchen table, but very quickly it became apparent that this was not going to work out. My employer supplied quite a bit of the kit, the rest I bought myself using the small fortune that that I saved from not driving to the office. It was well worth the investment.

My set up, I went kind of nuts:

1) A desk that I made out of oak "butcher block" type kitchen countertop

2) Two monitors, an ultra wide and normal sized mounted on a twin arm unit. I am an engineer, so the ultra wide works very well with large spreadsheets and drawings that would normally be printed in A1 or A0

3) Docking station for work laptop

4) Wireless headset, full sized keyboard and mouse

5) Wired ethernet connection for maximum broadband speed

6) Google Home for radio / music

7) Printer mounted under the desk

8) Desk lamp

9) Webcam for Teams calls

10) Proper desk chair

11) Flush mounted inductive charger for smartphone fitted to desk

12) Sockets for everything mounted on the underside the desk

When this whole Covid debacle is over I am permitted to work at home 100% of the time, none of the time or a "blended" version. Like most of my colleagues I have opted for blended.

Post edited by 2011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

I WFH as standard, pre-Covid but one of the best things I ever bought for these dark months is a daylight bulb! Really makes a difference over a standard yellowish bulb!

• Advertisement

A standing desk. I'm crippled if I sit for very long.

Advertisement