Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scam

• 18-01-2022 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭

Just to say there is a scam calling people and advising of Amazon refund...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is one simple rule to observe here.....

A third party only needs the security number from the back of a credit or debit card when they are debiting your account. It's possible to lodge money to someone with just their IBAN, you do not need the person's debit card number. So if anyone says that they're giving you money and they ask for the security number from the back of a card, it's 100% a scam.

This does not get repeated often enough in the press, I remind Charlie Weston (Indo) and Conor Pope (IT) of this simple precaution if they tweet about phone call scams and they don't mention it.

'I got scammed because I gave someone my credit card number'. No, you got scammed because you gave away the card number and the security number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I just thought people should be aware its happening... my phone rang this morn and it was a scam saying Amazon refund...

Advertisement