Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft buys Activision-Blizzard

Options

Comments

Nintendo are a multi billion dollar multinational corporation. If they could exploit their position to gain a competitive advantage over their rivals, they would. They did so in the past, when they had a dominant position. Any other view is not worth listening to because it is not based on fact.

While Sega did blow their chance, I think the introduction of Microsoft was always going to kill them. They just didn't have the same user base as Nintendo, who had multiple successful home and handheld consoles, while Sega really only had one big selling console.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wouldn't consider Sony to be the mom and pop version, but I always felt that Sony (aside from obviously wanting to make a crap tonne of money, that goes without saying, obviously) at least tried innovation, something new, that other manufacturers are reluctant. Yes, I'm a bit of a Sony fanboy, but having had most of the consoles I still believe this.

Take the Series X for example. I didn't have a One, but since getting the Series I feel like I didn't miss out on anything. And I feel like the Series X is just a One X Pro. Whereas the change from PS4 to PS5 has some big changes, specifically the DualSense and 3D audio. Plus Sony were the only home console crowd to supply and support VR, and with the PSVR2 coming soon it could be a massive success for them. MS, with all their money and power, still aren't dipping into the VR market, and as people are pointing out, they appear to be moving away from hardware and aiming towards streaming. Which I'll never be behind until the day the "Stream now or download for the best experience" is gone, and properly, not just removed text, streaming needs to be the exact same as directly from hardware for me to change over in the gaming landscape at least.

So yeah, to me Sony at least appeared to be pushing everything forward (with the obvious intention of making hapes of money). All companies have their crap practices, and I honestly believe that MS is like a person handing out candy to everyone for free and eventually these people will realise that they've just stepped into the back of a white van... Reason being, GP is excellent value, if you do the Gold trick or even use foreign marketplaces. This can't continue if they are to make money, so eventually you won't be able to do that and have to pay full whack. That's what I'm expecting. At least Sony are straight up about this; "No, pay us the €80!".

Aside from some Day 1 games, I can't say that Gamepass is better than Plus & Now, and it's more expensive than those 2 combined (I do say that both services are mostly full of crap, like Netflix/Prime/Disney, etc)

This whole post would be great if it wasn't for two words. Project. Spartacus.

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Microsoft could literally double the cost of GP and it would still be unbelievable value. If you pay the current full price it is still incredible value, much better than anything Sony will ever be able to offer. I suspect this is the reason some will go to great lengths to refuse to admit GP represents the best value in gaming today, they know Sony will never be able to compete.

I have a PC and I have a Ps5. I will tell you now, Gamepass is far better than both Plus and Now. Sony's offering here is fairly mediocre in comparison.

What you sound like is what people 15 years ago would have sounded like if they had suggested that it's better to give your money to HMV instead of Netflix because they're "straight up". Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I agree. GP is incredible value and I pay full price, and I would pay more for it. Sony can fück right off with their €80 games.

Sounds like opinions there. I think GP and Plus/Now offer the same amount of crap with some gems, but GP has the added benefit of Day 1 games from their bank new studios. Remove the Day 1 games, and I don't think there's much difference tbh, and it's all down to the types of games you play. With everything that's on GP, there's nothing right now I want to play. Because personal opinions.

@awec No need for the jibe. It's an opinion, and it seems commenting on this thread with anything but "MS is great, Xbox are great, GP is great, Sony and everything else is awful" is the same as saying Soulsborne games aren't good. Both get reactions far beyond an opinion and seem to need to put some kind of jibe in there. And there's a huge difference between HMV/Netflix and Streaming v Installing games. Streaming is grand for movies/shows, because it doesn't require input, no so much for gaming. Ridiculous comparison...

People really need to get over that other people have different opinions on things....

Well, it's a thread about Microsoft and you keep talking about Sony. It's really weird.

It's weird that I'm talking about the competition in an thread about one of 3 main gaming companies buying out a pretty big 3rd party, and following on from a comment that was discussing the competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Your posts read more like a massive Sony fanboy rather than a bit of one. You're forever defending them, talking up everything they do and downplaying everything Microsoft do.

I don't even have an Xbox so no tinted glasses here.

The Dual Sense is grand. The only game that has implemented it in a worthwhile way was Astrobot, it's been half baked since. They also seem to have a high failure rate, my own RT is really bad at the moment and we've a whole thread where people have reported issues.

Microsoft also have 3D audio. This isn't something that Sony are unique in. This technology has been around for years now.

VR is ok, it's still very niche and the only game I feel I've missed out on is HL Alyx. The technology needs more time and it needs attention from developers. I doubt it'll be mainstream for another 10-15 years.

You don't mention any of the things Microsoft implemented like quick resume or the ability to download a game (and been automatically given the best version available to you) without owning that game so the game can be ready to go when you pop your disk in or you purchase it digitally.

At the moment Microsoft are the more consumer friendly company. Cheaper games to buy outright, free cloud storage for saves and better subscription services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

That’s fairly subjective. There’s not a hope in hell I’d pay €25 a month for it.

Even this month I’m questioning keeping it. I have Sifu, Elden Ring and I’m right back into Cyberpunk too. What value am I realistically going to get out of game pass over the next few months?

€25 would be good value if you could guarantee that everything you wanted to play would be available on it. But for the majority of gamers I don’t think that’s the case. It needs to remain at a price point that consumers are happy to pay even if they’re not using it that much for a while. Once the price starts going up I think you’d get a lot of people questioning it, or at least jumping out for a few months when a game they want comes out.

It's not that subjective. If it were 25 a month that's 300 a year. If you buy 4 PS5 games in a year you've spent more than this already. At the current price there's not even a discussion, it is by an absolute mile the best value for money way to play games today.

I also think you have it the wrong way round. The majority of gamers are fairly casual, they will play whatever is available to them on their sub. Again, this is like arguing the majority of people won't like Netflix because it doesn't have the HBO show they want to watch. Instead, people pay for Netflix and watch whatever is on it.

The larger the library becomes, the more appealing it's going to be.

What are you talking about streaming games for? Gamepass isn't streaming, you know that right?

The discussion is about subscription models vs perpetual licensing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I keep seeing the full RRP of PlayStation games being used as a price comparison which is a little disingenuous. I have bought a rake of PlayStation games over the last two years as an example (AAA and indie) and I think I paid full price once.

I know the point trying to be made (the RRP is €80 in a lot of cases) and I'm not saying Gamepass isn't great value (it is!) but I'd wager that a lot of, if not most, gamers are getting way more than four games for €320 so I don't think that's a relative argument to argue Gamepass' value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think subscription services have, on balance, been a relatively positive development in film / TV. But they absolutely have not removed the need for physical media and perpetual licenses. You could subscribe to Prime, Netflix, Disney+ and Sky and only have access to a tiny amount of cinema history, especially stuff pre the 80s and 90s. And that's just mainstream stuff - streaming is even worse for more obscure stuff, whereas the boutique DVD / Blu-Ray market has flourished by focusing on restoring and releasing a much broader range of content (from bizarre horror sequels to the Hong Kong action canon). Ironically, the physical media market has actually improved in terms of the quality of the product the more streaming has taken hold! And that’s not getting into the issue of films and TV just disappearing from streaming services as rights expire.

I think that'll remain the model for gaming too - the subscription services will offer more and more choice, but if you want something specific you'll often be better off just buying the game rather than hoping it'll show up on subscription down the line. Plus, of course, buying games will still be a big part of supporting developers whose games you like!

It only represents value if you want to play the games that are on it.

Take Elden Ring for example. I want to play it, it’s not on gamepass. It’s a game I’ve been looking forward to for years, so I’m definitely getting it day 1. Microsoft are selling the digital version for €70. For me, €70 on Elden Ring represents more value than a few months of gamepass.

So if the price was doubled , I think when people look at games they want to play that are not on gamepass they might look to cancel it, because for a while at least it represents no value at all. Right now it’s an ok price to keep to jump into something for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have no issues with the subscription model (though it still has to be taken into account that third party games aren't always on Gamepass so you still end up paying for them anyway). But my issue with the subscription model (and this goes for both PS Now/Spartacus and Gamepass) is that it will likely lead to further implementation of additional revenue models in games to recoup a lot of the costs. Sony have already bought Bungie mostly because they want their experience with live service games, and the likes of Fortnite have given rise to battle passes etc. I saw people complain about the Halo battle pass. Fallout 76 was designed around additional revenue models at the start and suffered badly because of it. Battlefield, COD, Avengers.... If we're seeing these in full-priced games at release, how much worse will it get when the games are being given day one release on a subscription service?

I'm not saying these things wouldn't have happened without subscription services, but I think they're likely to get worse and more prevalent because of it.

But you're still not getting it.

You pay your 70 quid for Elden Ring, perfect. And when the next game comes out, you pay for that too. And the next one, and the next one, and the next one. The person with the subscription will pay for Elden Ring. They'll also get all the games on their sub for the price of their sub.

Again, going back to the TV/Film analogy, I do buy the odd movie on Sky Store or whatever, but I would absolutely not buy every single movie I want to watch, that would be insanely expensive. Renting individual movies or shows would also be very expensive.

Gaming is just behind the curve here, but it will get there. Buying all your games will soon feel as odd as buying all your movies or all your TV shows. Nobody will want to do it. The only elephant in the room here is the knowledge that Sony will never be able to offer anything that competes with Microsoft.

It's not an either/or though. It's like the 80/20 rule, your sub will give you 80% of what you want and you just buy the 20% on top, rather than having to buy the full 100%. This will be a huge win for gamers.

If you look at the Film or TV forums on boards the overwhelming majority of threads are about content that's available on one of the subscription services.

I would absolutely love Gamepass to come to Playstation, I'd subscribe tomorrow no questions asked. Sony will never let it happen though because they know the sales of games in their store would collapse entirely. Not necessarily their big headline 1P exclusives, but all the other games that people are currently forced to buy on PS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone saying Sony are constantly innovating doesn't remember the ps3 very well. That was a machine that was in constant catch up mode with the competition.

• Advertisement

Completely ignored the very valid Netflix comparison.

I didn’t, I just don’t think it’s valid to equate Netflix to gamepass.

Will I stop my Netflix subscription for a couple of months because I’m also watching shows somewhere else? No.

Will I stop my gamepass subscription for a couple of months because I have 3 games that’s I’m currently enjoying and not using gamepass at all? Yes.

The big difference I think is that some games can keep you going for months. It’s not like you play a game for a couple of hours, you’re done with it and then you go back to gamepass. Obviously this works both ways, it’s great if that game is on gamepass but if it’s not there’s no reason to keep it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think cinema is an important comparison as well. Lots of people still go to the cinema rather than waiting for things to show up on a subscription service - the pandemic complicated things, naturally, but there's still very much a market for film outside of a monthly subscription fee (and a cinema ticket for one isn't too far off the price of a monthly subscription fee) even if DVD / Blu-Ray has become a more niche, enthusiast market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I thought the problem with the PS3 was that its Cell CPU was too innovative and so a complete pain in the balls when you weren't familiar with developing games for it.

I think you believe your taste and behavior with Game Pass applies to everyone. As if you are representative of every person who plays video games.

That's how your message reads.

I don’t think that, I started in this convo by saying I have 3 games this month I’m playing that aren’t on gamepass so I might get rid of it for a bit, which is hardly controversial?

And I don’t think streaming is a direct comparison between games and other media. Gaming is so much broader it’s more difficult to say exactly how people play. Some will play one game, some will play hundreds. And with the nature of gaming it’s perfectly possible for people to get swept into a game and not play anything else for ages, which makes it more likely for a subscription to go unused.

For you it’s incredible value, and that’s great. For me, there’s some months where is great value, and some months where it’s practically useless. My original point was the price point right now is just at the limit of me deciding to keep it just in case I want to play something on it, when I know I won’t be using it that much, and that it wouldn’t be great value for everyone at twice the price.

They did make the Vita though, which I still use to this day!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Architecturally there was a lot to admire about the ps3. But Microsoft read the room and made the xbox 360 quite close to the ps2 in terms of edram use and saw that ease of development was necessary in the HD era.

But that's not really what I'm on about. We had the sixaxis motion sensing very obviously shoehorned into the controllers as a response to the Wii. Then there was sony missing the boat on how important online integration would be. Their UI and store have always been a mess in comparison to Xbox 360 and it was a struggle for them to match the 360's online features that were available from that consoles launch.

They just totally fumbled how important downloadable games and content would be and online play was a bit of an after thought. They were really caught with their pants down that gen and we're lucky that they had fan and japanese developer loyalty from the ps2 era that barely dragged them out of the hole and eventually turned the machine into something with a decent library.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I have a monthly subscription for music (Tidal currently) but I also buy a lot of vinyl although it's slowed down somewhat as it's starting to get hella expensive. I'll be honest, it probably makes less sense to collect the vinyl when I can listen to pretty much everything I want to on most subscription services but goddamn I like holding those records and putting that needle in the groove.

I am getting a bit more adaptable with my subscriptions though. I'm more prone to cancelling and moving services than I was even last year. If I know I'm not going to use a service until something comes up that I'm interested I stop subscribing until then. There's just too many services out there vying for money and a finite paycheck that's getting even more finite with each passing month thanks to inflation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Seen if the deal falls through Activision-Blizzard get $3bn

Advertisement