Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft buys Activision-Blizzard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

I think it's fine for story driven games, but I would mainly play FPS shooters, and I find them impossible when streaming.

I recently jumped in a game of Ark with a friend who was already playing. It was really cool to be able to be in there with him in only a few seconds, but it really didn't look good to me. I need to compare it to what it looks like installed locally. I'd have gigabit internet, though, so that shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I do see MS's intent to push GAAS, but I reckon we're still a long way away from when that will be the norm. Console gaming will continue, as will PC gaming. Streaming will just be another, albeit probably large, option. Even streaming in "4K Ultra HDR" is still not the same as physical media. A blu-ray physical media of something will look better than the best streaming version. I see it myself on Netflix, etc. I tried streaming a few games, but no, didn't like it. I put up with streaming video/audio, but I draw the line at games.

Plus, we're only 44th in the world for internet speed at a mean of 50Mbps. We're still a long way away from most of the world having decent internet. It will be big, but it won't take over. Might be harder to get physically, but won't be impossible. Otherwise physical media for music and films/tv would already be gone. You also have to keep in mind that if everything goes digital, we're at the whim of storefronts. Take MS for example, you can no longer buy certain games because they're removed. With no physical alternative, that's it gone. I know we're all in the same boat here with digital purchases in general, but I'd prefer to have something to fall back on should the internet go down. My XSX, I won't be able to play any games unless I have an active internet connection, because they're all GP. Even digital purchases would be better than streaming, because you don't need an active internet connection to allow you to play them (mostly).

It won't take over, but it will take a big chunk. But the rest of us will keep consoles afloat for many years yet. Maybe come back at me around 2040.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If your Xbox is set as your home console you can play your digital games without an Internet connection. I think that's the same for Game Pass

I know this is an Irish forum, but in the grand scheme of GaaS, Ireland and it's shoddy internet is completely irrelevant. So I'm not sure how Ireland's internet quality had any impact on the future success of GaaS. Do enlighten me if you can think of a reason why.

The success of GaaS will be determined by what happens in the world's richest economies. In the urban areas of those countries, there will be sufficient connection.

Discs will go the way of the Dodo. The majority of gamers are casuals, not hardcore collectors.

I power off my Xbox, so anytime I power it on, I can't play any games until it gets an internet connection, which usually takes about a minute. Then I can play away. Maybe there's another way, I don't use it often enough to know really.

@[Deleted User] Yes, Ireland with it's crap internet, means that GaaS won't take off as much over here, so the rest has to be catered to until then. Same in a lot of countries, include 'Merica outside of the major places, which is a lot. These things will always take off in better economies first, but the rest still have to be catered to. DVD sales declining since 2005, still available and easily. BR declining since 2017. Some graph I saw showed hardware & accessories combined is the same as software sales, so hardware is still half the market for now. It's not going anywhere any time soon, is what I'm saying. GaaS will progress regardless, but we're still a good long time away from it being the main service, with the effect of hardware being collector only. Long time.

And streaming still is not equal to install. Not sure if it ever will be tbh. But basing that on my own experiences and a few articles which agree with me! And maybe it's just me, but it seems to be there'll always been the want to have the latest and greatest hardware.

• Advertisement

Yeah. You're just talking nonsense now.

Also, once 5G internet becomes ubiquitous high speed mobile internet will be in every major city. Land internet speeds improve all the time. GaaS companies obviously know this is coming. You are acting like technology doesn't change. Like the status quo will remain forever.

Your position is basically "I don't like it, therefore it won't happen". Which is how most of your arguments seem to work, from what I can see. I should probably just stop responding.

Sound for the psychoanalysis.

It's called opinions. You're obviously strong in your opinions and don't like hearing others. Because that's all they are. Opinions. On an opinion board. You're basically refusing to acknowledge that hardware will be around for a long time yet. In fact, your posts come across like this is happening this year. Or next year.

You're right, don't respond if you only want to state and don't want to debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I think I've missed something... If we're talking hardware vs streaming, what have GaaS got to do with it?

Brain reckons GaaS will basically be streaming only in no time. I'm saying hardware will be around for a long time yet. GaaS companies apparently agree with Brain. Topic related, MS are pushing streaming.

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's worth pointing out that internet coverage in Ireland is better than the US. People are looking at average speeds and getting confused.

This "Ireland has crap internet" argument holds no water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yeah, the US is a nightmare for internet. If you are in the sticks you're lucky to get 1mb down and if you are in an urban area because of each area being a monopoly you need to pay hundreds of dollars a month to get fast internet without a pathetically small data cap. You are also often forced to take an expensive cable tv package to access fast internet as well.

Ah okay. I just wasn't sure why GaaS were being singled out for the streaming Vs hardware debate.

Three businessmen with links to Bobby Kotick bought $108 million worth of shares four days before Microsoft acquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Amazon are having success with lost ark and new world mmo.I think its bad for the consumer when any one company owns too much ip,or controls the best selling console games . i think google does not have the expertise or patience to launch a new gaming platform, its maybe 5 years before most people will want to stream games instead of just downloading them from a digital store.

I dont think microsoft will have many exclusives, some content or dlc will come out first for xbox before ps4.Look at apple it wont allow certain apps to appear on its app store that compete with its own apps ,it gives preference to its own apps like apple music on its phones .i think microsoft games might appear on game pass ,and it,ll be 6 months at least before the same game comes out on ps5.

Call of duty sells millions of copys every year , theres no way it,ll every be exclusive to xbox consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Shareholder meeting on April 28.

Will see from that side at least if it's going ahead.

Price increase has worked a treat. Who'd have thought that increased competition would decrease the capacity to increase price?

A cautionary tale for GaaS, in future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The UK competition regulator is considering upgrading their investigation into the merger as they’re “concerned that Microsoft’s anticipated purchase of Activision Blizzard could substantially lessen competition in gaming consoles, multi-game subscription services, and cloud gaming services”.

Microsoft and Activision Blizzard “now have 5 working days to submit proposals to address the CMA’s concerns. If suitable proposals are not submitted, the deal will be referred for a Phase 2 investigation.”

And Microsoft appears to have responded already:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Things looking shakier for the deal after a pretty firm provisional report from the UK competition regulator.

Key quote: “We are of the initial view that any behavioural remedy in this case is likely to present material effectiveness risks. At this stage, the CMA considers that certain divestitures and/or prohibition are, in principle, feasible remedies in this case.”

I can't see either Activision or Microsoft agreeing to the suggestion that parts of the company are spun off to make the deal more palatable, but we'll see what the response is over the coming weeks.

Also interesting that Microsoft making Bethesda games exclusive to Xbox is cited as one of the main concerns here.

Still think there's a fair chance that the deal goes through, but there's some serious regulatory pressure from the UK, US and EU now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's mad the way they let Disney buy up everything and there didn't appear to be any issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It will go ahead. You never see these deals being shut down. They will get into talks and come to a compromise. Sony are only delaying the inevitable. Everything is just way too big corporation now.

• Advertisement

I think that's part of the reason why. A few big corporate deals in areas like entertainment and tech went through over the last decade that turned out to be pretty disastrous for competition. So now we're seeing the regulators belatedly getting their act together, but since they can't act retroactively they can only clamp down on new deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭eggy81

Irelands internet is better than almost every other country I’ve visited. Even Scandinavia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

What a bunch of cry babies!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Californian Judge picking up the lawsuit to review: 'Ah yes, the basement dwellers are back'

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Who / what is this "gamer group"?

Is it just a random bunch of people who own a PlayStation?

Pretty much a bunch of losers. Next level sony fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Surely for the money they'd be spending on legal fees etc.... just buy a Series S....

That won't work, their hands are physically incapable of holding an xbox controller. It's discrimination against those with hand disfiguration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

BBC News - Microsoft's Activision takeover blocked in UK

It will be interesting to see what happens next

Advertisement