Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft buys Activision-Blizzard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Let your subscription expire. Buy 3 years of Gold/Game Pass Core from CDKeys and redeem them. Buy 1 month Game Pass Ultimate. This will give you 25 months of Game Pass, plus maybe another month if MS offer you a free month for turning on auto renew after redeeming the month of Ultimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's great value with the deal, even if it's not as good as it was a few months ago. I stacked 30 months for about €160, so I'm good until sometime in 2025. I'll have to weigh my options then, because there may be no upgrade deal at that point, and I don't use it as much as PS+, and I think that's mostly down to the controller, so maybe when Xbox release their new one I might use it more. I just prefer the PS5 to the XSX overall, so it's great to try out a game and if I like it, but not enough to buy it, I'll wait for it to come to PS+ which it usually does unless Xbox exclusive. Great to have that choice for now at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't think that trick works anymore, didn't MS get rid of the €1 upgrade to Ultimate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The €1 upgrade is gone, so you need to buy a full month of Game Pass Ultimate, and the upgrade is now 3 years of gold to 2 years of Ultimate. Not as good a deal, but you can mess around with VPNs to get a cheaper region of the gold, so you can still make a significant saving.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ABK share trading was suspended, looks like we're in the endgame now.

Approved by the CMA, most likely to close today.

Good to see this saga finally come to an end and I know some people here are against consolidation etc but I do think this deal is good for gamers and will bring more competition.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 45,613 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pitty we are apparently not going to get any AB titles immediately popping up on Game Pass (Bethesda titles hit Game Pass within a few days IIRC).

I held off buying Diablo IV cause I figured it would come to Game Pass when the deal got done. And was looking forward to playing the new COD (Single Player) without having to pay for it.

• Advertisement

Probably a delay due to having to go through Ubisoft for the streaming rights.

Wouldn't say so and that does not apply to EU anyway.

I would just wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks, as the stuff that came out form ABK this week at the Town Hall meeting was a bit bizarre and does not tie in with what Microsft people have been saying.

Can go on GamePass without going in XCloud, so would have nothing to do with Streaming.

I wonder if it is just with the various regulatory processes they simply haven't been allowed to work on the deals/actions required for a title to appear on GamePass. Could also be some contractual issues with Sony, especially around COD, they may have a deal currently in place with AB that would prevent them from putting COD (and others, maybe) on GamePass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All I want to know is that with Bethesda and Activision under same roof are we going to get Wolfenstein 2009 back on digital stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think regardless of anyone's opinion on whether the acquisition is a good or bad thing, I'm sure most of us will agree; F*ck Bobby Kotick, and f*ck the giant payout he'll receive.

Statement from Phil Spencer. Interesting part below.

Players have always been at the center of everything we do. And as we grow, we’ll continue to keep players at the heart of it all. We’ll continue to listen to your feedback, build a community where you can be yourself, where developers can do their best work, and continue to make really fun games. As promised, we will also continue to make more games available in more places – and that begins now by enabling cloud streaming providers and players to stream Activision Blizzard games in the European Economic Area, a commitment made to the European Commission. Today we start the work to bring beloved Activision, Blizzard, and King franchises to Game Pass and other platforms. We’ll share more about when you can expect to play in the coming months. We know you’re excited – and we are too.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/10/13/xbox-activision-blizzard/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Simultaneously one of the best and one of the worst things about this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Be careful what you wish for. I in no way condone Kotick but if you take a Venn diagram of a typical wanker ceo you will find elements that are not just useful but also essential to the running of a successful company. Finding one that has these essential skills but who does not also lean towards a tendancy to take advantage of employees or also have psychopathic, sexual harrasser etc qualities unfortunately is not just hard to do but probably impossible.

They could get someone in who is full on woke who would be loved by employees or all makes and manners. But they'd be producing absolute junk.

• Advertisement

Seriously, not all CEOs have to be like that. Not in this day and age.

There's been studies done that top CEO's are most likely to be have sociopathic or psychopathic tendencies but that they often make terrible CEO's as well. A lot of them are just mouthpieces that stand in front of the shareholders while the real workers make the decisions and advise them to sign off on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Leaving aside Kotick's behaviour and whether or not CEOs need to be sexual harrassers to be good at their job or not, but ActiBlizz have been producing a lot of junk for many years, and a big part of that is Kotick pushing for annualisation and aggressive monetisation. They've taken so many internal teams off whatever games/franchises they were on to just be COD support teams. In the image posted up the thread of franchises now under Xbox Game Studios, the last Crash Bandicoot game is a weird 4v4 multiplayer game with battlepasses (and the Crash Team Racing remake also had a battlepass introduced), Tony Hawk's has been dormant for years save for a remaster of the original games, but is unlikely to return. Overwatch went from an aggressive but tolerable lootbox system to really awful battlepass and microtransactions. And then you have the mobile games like Candy Crush which rely on whales to make so much money. A lot of the COD games have also been received poorly and are only successful because they've been COD games and there's an in-built fanbase for them. You also have stuff like Diablo Immortals too.

The saving grace of MS buying them is that hopefully some of those support studios will be able to bring back some franchises Activision have the rights to but have laid dormant, and that the push for monetisation won't be quite so aggressive that it allows the games to actually be worth spending money on in the first place.

Kotick made money for Activision. In that regard, he was undoubtedly successful as CEO. But the idea that if not for him, a woke CEO would have made junk games instead... the games have largely been junk. But he's also just a piece of sh*t human.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Sorry I feel bad for suggesting Kotick has desirable qualities. The guy is from an era long gone.

Is there anything other than games that Xbox gain from the deal. Battle.net for example? Xbox have also said publicly that this deal is all about mobile. What does ABK have to offer in that regard (and surely its not just about Candy Crush).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Apparently Candy Crush has made over $20 Billion.

They want to make a mobile store front I believe, abd king will be absolutely key to that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I am completely underwhelmed by this. COD, crash, diablo ... for bazillions. I guess they can keep selling this stuff eternally or until WW3 at least.

Zzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You're welcome. Just had to get it off my chest. 😁 I feel better now.

Advertisement