Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severance - AppleTV+ - (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gmacww

That was quite possibly the best season finale I have ever seen. Absolutely gripped for the entire thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

That last episode was so intense! I'm happy that some things were resolved this season, while still leaving enough of a trail for season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just watched all 9 episodes within the last day and a half.

Head is melted but wow it’s class tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So, the end of season one, that was some damn fine science fiction story telling. The introduction, the mystery, the action, the suspence, it's all good.

9: I need to see the next episode but in a different way than how I needed to see this one from the last one.

I think maybe it's that I need to see season two! 🙂 The last one was like Urgent, Event Needs to be seen! This one is is like.. Overall Story needs to be known.. and that'll take a few episodes.

Cool to see how the severed sides started exploring the unsevered lives. I thought that was done well, the sister and baby comment and the learning to drive for instance.

Definitely something up with the Dark Room, Red Light. Irving I think has been there and maybe something to do with Marks wife Gemma (if she's even still Gemma and not some kind of frozen into Ms Casey role)

Future: Yes to season two, wiki says it's being made, I want to see it yesterday! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

That was epic TV! I haven't enjoyed a show that much since Dark. Just hope season 2, whenever it comes out, isn't a stinker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Is it wrong to put this in my top 5 shows of all time already? Wow, what a show and what a finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I started to notice some Twitter buzz about Severance a week ago and decided to give it a shot. I don't have much available "tv time" midweek, but burned through it at two or three episodes a night.

And while I mentioned Twitter reaction, I wonder would a show like this have found greater cultural resonance in '90's or '00s? Feels like we should all be talking about this in our respective offices over deviled eggs and waffles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Is this the greatest scene of TV history? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

From watching the series it struck me that if we have innies defined as those who work for Lumen and are so-called born when they join the workforce, then we should expect that there are people who are "innies" but exist in the outside world. With their outie counterpart off somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I absolutely loved this. One of the best TV series I've seen in years, everything about it is just so good. I wish more people were watching it or it was on terrestrial TV because it would probably be a Lost like show as someone mentioned above, 5he water-cooler show. Can't wait for Season 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Yes, this show actually took me by surprise! Finished all 9 episodes last night (in the span of 3 days). Well done Ben stiller team and i would highly recommend this show (if the kind of story intrigues you of course - try the trailer).

So ya, a surprisingly pleasant project from Ben stiller this 9 episodes production:

1) Very well paced - it should have been 'slow' but not really as things are happening one after another. I cannot praise more on this. I was totally thinking another snore or snore-ish fest ha. The characters are well developed pulling us viewers in to like/hate the characters, while in parallel the intriguing mystery/plot is being revealed, well done really.

ya fck you Ms. Cobey

2) Effort script and good directing - acting is alright i thought, good overall but nothing extraordinary (i would actually say that some moments are weak when they should have been powerful/more impactful).

A (rather) original script and a show with actual contents, a shocker! Especially again, seeing the crap that get chunked out in the past years, so many shows/productions are just show and lack of substance. Very much looking forward for season 2 aha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Well, not often I spot something at random in here and take a chance on it and be so well rewarded for it. This was excellent. A real Stanley Parable vibe, infused with a solid story to boot. Loved it from start to finish. Much obliged OP.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It dipped a little in the middle but final few episodes were outstanding. Season ending cliffhangers usually annoy me but that final episode was so good I can easily forgive it. John Turturro with the stand out performance even though his characters storyline wasn't as dramatic as the other innies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

Great show. Watched all 9 episodes in one sitting, I found it that compelling! Very accessible yet mind-melting (and utterly haunting) concept.

Great turn by all of the actors. It reminded me a little bit of that TV show 'Maniac' with Jonah Hill and Emma Stone though not as off-the-wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Sensationally good.

I envy anybody who gets to go through those first 9 episodes for the first time. Just brilliant in every way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Excellent show in its construction, delivery and making you feel uneasy by getting under your skin. Blows Succession's third season out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Up to episode 5 now and not in a rush to binge as others have done. The first three really dragged for me but now it is becoming more interesting.

It was week to week if you want to get a feel for what it was like at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

just finished this , what a season . the last ep was perfection

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very belatedly watched the first 3 episodes and wow. I haven't watched something this inventive and gripping in years. And all directed by Ben Stiller so far, the biggest surprise of all. Has shades of Legion, The Prisoner and a host of dystopian ideas all mixed together.

The concept alone just leaves your imagination running wild with the ethical and existential possibilities; fun! Trying not to actually read the thread properly for fear of spoiling something - this show has properly dangled a genuine mystery in front of me.

• Advertisement

It keeps getting better right to the end! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was very unsure of the show most of the way through. I was enjoying it, but it also felt like it was being weird and confusing for the sake of it. Particularly in the middle, with the conflict between Mark's team and O&D which didn't really go anywhere.

But damn what a season finale. Really gripped from beginning to end and has really made me want to see a second season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the weirdness is necessary on reflection; cos if they hadn't, and the show played it all mundane and straight-faced it would have been the grimmest most miserable series on TV. The oddball tone is a good cleanser from the existential nightmare that this concept creates.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree, I just don't know if they got the balance right. But maybe some things they did will come more into play in Season 2.

Can they do something as well as the music dance experience in season two though?

It feels like it was a one and done. That doing it again wouldn't land as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just saw finished this today, and wow! What a show absolutely incredible. If you haven't seen this you need to.

Have the last episode to finish, and really looking forward to it. Had taken my time with this, but has been hands-down, a fantastic piece of television. I haven't been this gently, engagingly confused, maybe ever? There are a dozen universes the premise execution just doesn't work - but every episode has just sung. And I had forgotten Ben Stiller knows how to direct.

Finished this up and wow, what a fantastic finale. I'm such a seasoned TV viewer slash cynic, it's rare now I'm legitimately on the edge of my seat but watching those Innies process events and try to affect some agency before the axe fell was amazing. The despairing last line of the episode leaving me to count the weeks til season 2.

And in retrospect, I always thought something was up with Helly. Not suspicious or anything. Her ... I dunno, poise, the way she held herself seemed different.

Also, without googling, did I read a newspaper clipping right that

Irving had sued Lumen before? In which case, has he been severed twice over? Cos that'd explain why he kept painting the corridor we discovered was how Innies left.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's unbelievable and such a pity it's not getting a wider audience.

Hopefully word of mouth gets it more attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gwendoline Christie, John Noble, Alia Shawkat and Merritt Wever join

Advertisement