Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic motion sensor?

• 18-01-2022 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭

Right now I have a kitchen light connected to Alexa. "Alexa, turn on the kitchen light". "Alexa, turn off the kitchen light". That works grand.

I'm hoping to get some sort of cheap basic motion sensor that can do something as simple (complex?) as:

• detect movement
    • if light already on, do nothing
    • if light off, turn it on and turn it off 1 min after last motion detected

Can anyone suggest something relatively cheap or basic that can do this? Or is this something that's complex enough?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What light do you have, some sort of smart light?

How is it connected to Alexa? Which Echo device do you have?

Some (but not all) echo devices act as a zigbee hub, if you have one of those, then you could add a zigbee motion sensor relatively easily.

If your echo doesn’t have this support, then maybe your smart light does, or you could buy a cheap zigbee hub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭lordsheepface

I have Echo Dot (3rd Gen) and Lumiman Smart Bulbs B22. I have linked my "Plusminus" account to my Alexa and I ask Alexa to turn the lights on / off.

I will have a look into this Zigbee thing you mention. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Can anyone recommend some decent Zigbee motion sensors that don't break the bank? Battery powered preferably. I got 3 off Aliexpress and one works brilliantly but the other two are constantly offline

Advertisement