Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typical salary for chartered civil / structural engineer?

• 18-01-2022 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I'm seeing a lot of movement in the construction industry at the moment. Seems like everyone is getting snapped up by recruiters who I hear are offering the sun and the moon.

Does anyone have any indication what the going rate is for a chartered civil / structural engineer with around 10 years experience? I had spoken to recruiters before, but they're very secretive about salaries and you only really find out after sitting a job interview.

I also read in the papers that there's an expected 5-20% increase in salaries across the construction industry. I wonder if this will also be reflected in engineers' salaries?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have the Engineer's Ireland Salary Survey for 2021 to hand, according to this:

• The median pay for a civil engineer with 6 to 10 years experience is €47.5k
    • The median pay for a civil engineer with 11 to 15 years experience is €58k

I would assume that most civil engineers with 10 years experience would be chartered (I'm open to correction on this). Needless to say this is the worst paid discipline in the survey!

Regarding the salary increase, I would expect to get higher than normal due to the high demand, lack of resources and inflation. However, it won't be anywhere near 20% !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would certainly hope so!

€58k does is not the median value for those with 15 years experience, it is the median value for those with 11 to 15 years experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

Are those figures for chartered? Normally in their stats it shows that a chartered engineer earns a few k more than non chartered at each of the bands in their survey.

Those results are shockingly bad though

In the survey where EI provide salaries for chartered engineers and compare it to engineers that are not chartered this is inclusive all disciplines. This of course skews the numbers as civil engineering salaries are so much less than practically all other disciplines.

However, I would expect that most civil engineers with that much experience would be chartered.

Agree that those figures are appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Eclectic Dan

Depressing really

Advertisement