Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspaper Subscriptions

Options
  • 19-01-2022 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Newspapers as many of us knew them are been more and more replaced by their online offerings, i used buy a lot of papers but you now have read most of it for free online but theres only so much you can access online, i took out a English times subscription for 5 euro a month a couple of years ago which is now a tenner a month which is good enough value. Thinking of joining New York Times for 4 Euro a month as well at the minute.

Im more interested in world affairs than anything else and i find the Irish Indo poor quality wise and irish times is full of opinionated journalists who have a set view of the world, I buy a physical paper for my locality mostly for local sport etc but just wondering what other people are subscribed to and how are they ? quality wise and cost wise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The New York Times is a great value subscription. Even after the first year new subscriber rate expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Would you like to subscribe to my newsletter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you get a press reader account with you're local library. a fair selection of papers on there. although it irish tabloids only.

but its free

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Think they lost a lot of the major titles recently enough?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭thomil

I can definitely recommend the New York Times, I've been subscribed to that for years. Another thing I might suggest is Readly, which is more magazine-focused but carries such titles as Newsweek, Time Magazine and Fortune, as well as a selection off daily newspapers. I've been using that for a few years now as well, mostly for tech and aviation magazines, including some old favourites of mine from Germany.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Currently have Irish Times, Indo and Economist. I'm happy to pay for news, opinions etc. and see it as a contribution towards a good society.

Having said that then Indo is pure garbage mon-sat, I only really get value from it on a Sunday. Plus the app is terrible, keeps resurfacing same (clickbait) stories. So permanently on the verge of dropping the subscription but its only a tenner a month...

IT is a solid old read really. It is Conservative with a big C, some commentators are interesting to me ( fintan o tools, mcWilliams) and then we have mcdowell who nit only is a piss-poor writer but generally just indulges in a weekly troll with no original thinking.

The economist is good if predictable. Also OK value if you jump thrown their unsubscribe hoops every three months and graciously accept the new discounted three month rate.

I'm interested in hearing other peoples opinions on Sunday Business Post vs Irish Indo subscription as that's the swap I'm considering

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Long time Times/ Sunday Times subscription here. I used to buy the print Sunday Times for years and found it offered great value for money and then a few years back switched to a €9 per month digital subscription which then dropped to €5 per month.

Although the daily version has small enough Irish content I'm more than happy enough to live with that as what major news stories there are in Ireland are well broadcast on either tv or radio anyway. The UK & Worldwide news plus excellent magazines on the weekend all tick my boxes in relation to books, music and tv/radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Used to buy the Business Post regularly, but felt it wasn't for me as it provides in depth analysis of Irish politics. Not really an interest of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have the digital Irish Times with a physical delivery of the weekend paper. Used to get the Times/ Sunday Times but dropped them once they dropped the Irish edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think the Irish times gets a bad rep - they publish opinions from all sorts, like people the iona institute as well as very left wing opinions - a good balance in a paper but in the online world you have people on both sides getting outraged and claiming it is either too left or right depending on the articles they happened to come across. On the whole it is a decent paper and worth the subscription

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Irish Timed with added value of allowing 5 devices, so made nice xmas gifts.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I have subscriptions to the The Irish Times, The Irish Examiner and the New York Times. I love reading the papers for a while after work with a cup of tea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Readily is fairly good value at 9e pm. A variety of magazines and newspapers from across the world.

The Irish Times, but I get it free, so it's great value😁

I subscribe to the Independent and The Currency. Usually on the Black Friday deals.

I had an Irish Times sub, but they made it so difficult to renew at the same price I subscribed that I eventually had to call a number to cancel. Which I didn't want to do, as they have a great archive. Was happy to spend a tenner a month for it, but they were autorenewing me at some silly price including weekend paper delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They have the Irish edition. I've been reading it for the last 3/4 years at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

The Daily Telegraph is excellent. Yes, before you say it, the Torygraph. Try it and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I don't pay for news. I only use the journal, mainly for the comments section. As do many people here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I get all my news and information from facebuke and twitter and boards.

Loads of facts and science too. I have found some interesting research into Bill Gates' 5G motivation for magnetic vaccines recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ah shur nothing an aul swig of bleach won't solve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

My local library no longer supports Press Reader app and is instead using Borrow Box app which has no access to Irish Independent/ Dundalk Argus etc.

Is there a workaround this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Id love to be happy with a subscription but I can't get on board with it I have to have a physical newspaper paper.

I like the Sunday Times and the Irish Times, the Irish Times had dipped a bit of a few years but it's come round again.

I found a Newspaper from 2001, seriously dated now even the restaurant reviews. I found a restaurant review from Shane Colman never realised how long he'd been around as a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I have an Irish Times subscription.

I think it's pretty good value for 12 a month. Like it or loathe it - it is pretty much the only quality Irish daily newspaper. Though that isn't a stiff category.

I have occasionally signed up to the Independent - but I've never stuck with it: it's a pretty rubbishy paper masquerading as a broadsheet.

I did subscribe to The Telegraph for a bit around the time of Brexit. I wanted to get the perspective from the other side of political aisle, but, Jesus, had to unsubscribe. It was pure dumb Tory trash and nonsense culture war crap. Really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Most third level students can get a free subscription to the Irish Times, and most will happily hand this over to a parent in return for all the loving care, college fees, food and board provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The Irish examiner at 80 Euro for the year offer isnt bad….

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To laugh at the comments right? Right?

The comments section on the journal is one of the most toxic places I've seen online.

Personally, i subscribe to the Irish Times, Irish Examiner and the new york times. I really should cancel the last one because i definitely don't get the use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

get all the news i could possibly want when i collect my mother from the hair saloon (shes 95 and thats how she says it) once a fortnight!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Subscribe to the Irish Times, Sunday Times, Independent and The Currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Irish Examiner yearly online sub 60 Euro at the minute - good value I’d have thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Irish Independent and Gript ( won't be renewing Gript due to McGuirks dreadful Israeli bias )

Advertisement