Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank hol

Options
  • 19-01-2022 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi I work in retail. Basically I work 5 days a week Monday,Wednesday Thursday Friday and Saturday with Tuesdays as my day off. New year's was on a Saturday this year and I know that's a Bank holiday which we got paid for. But the business was also closed on the Monday and I didn't get paid for that so I only got paid 4 days Wednesday to Saturday. Could someone please tell me if the business was closed on the Monday should I have been paid as they are saying it wasn't a bank holiday so I'm not entitled to it

Comments

Monday 3rd January was a bank holiday, because New Years Day fell on a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Retail employees are often paid only for worked rostered hours. If you work on a bank holiday, then the hourly pay is a bit higher that day. As above, Monday was bank holiday this year. For Monday you didn't get paid for as you wasn't rostered for the day. And you got paid for Saturday as normal. Read your job contract for more information.

You got paid for a public holiday and the days you worked so that is correct.

Mon the 3rd wasn't a paid holiday for everyone if you normally work on a Saturday but got paid for it instead.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

DID you get paid DOUBLE for working the Sat??? So in effect..... you got paid for the Monday bank Holiday in your Sat pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You had Saturday off and you were paid for it as it was a PH.

Your workplace was closed on the Monday so if you wanted to be paid for it you would have needed to keep an annual leave day for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

The Saturday was the public holiday - any business that is usually closed on a Saturday would normally transfer the day to the Monday (generally offices etc). Retail open on a Saturday would have the public holiday that day. If the business decides to also close on the Monday then they can ask you to take a days holidays or a days unpaid. You are only entitled to one days public holiday but if the business is shut for two days then they should offer if you want to take a days holidays? Would you have enough holidays built/left over to take it as holidays?

Advertisement