Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with banks of driveway

Options
  • 19-01-2022 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Our driveway has high banks with trees on both sides and the deer go straight across the drive from our garden to the field on the far side. I like them around and prefer they do this instead of going out on the road but the banks are seriously breaking down on both sides of the drive and in several places along it. Most of the vegetation on the banks has gone and the soil itself is falling down onto the drive, bringing any rocks from the banks with it. Would flexible mesh fixed in place with long U-anchors be enough reinforcement to stop the damage, probably a silly idea but if anyone has any suggestions, I would be really grateful to hear them. I'm no gardener and for many reasons, have left the garden go quite wild but I do like the deer and the foxes, I feel they're more sinned against than sinning really. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hard to know without a pic, but would it be possible to make a more gently sloping track down for the deer just in one place, then put in something to discourage them from running down the rest of it? Kind of funnel them into one track?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Thanks for your reply and if I had a modern phone I could put up photos but anyway, the drive is narrow and meets the road as a perfect T-junction so it's tricky enough. They scramble down the bank on one side and climb up the opposite side digging up the soil as they go and in very wet weather it can be quite tricky getting up the driveway in the car with all the falling soil. I'll try to clear up the mud now and then get some chicken wire and long U anchors in the spring and hope for the best. Thanks again.

Advertisement