Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought car from ‘reputable dealership’ which now turns out to be crashed.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I'm inclined to agree.

Either there is something missing from the story from the OP, they seem open however, or else this hasn't been handled properly by either side.

I'd contact the dealer principal again in writing and also the distributor. I'd be surprised if the onus was on you to prove it wasn't repaired after purchase as you wouldn't be considered an expert unless you're in the trade. I'd also be contacting a better solicitor.

No way would I take a hit like this on the chin and accept I have to suck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

What level/severity of damage is required to be recorded I wonder considering this didnt show up on the history check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Damage of any level will only show up if an insurance claim was made against the car

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Parkieman

I’d imagine it was someone who didn’t want to go through insurance , the car looks perfect on the outside but it’s when it’s put on lift and covers are removed , that’s when it is clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

Suppose it costs €5k to get it fixed and you do that. And you keep in another year and then sell it.... With the way used car prices have gone over the past 12 months, you may find yourself in a position that it's cost you no more than the depreciation you would have expected at the time you bought it.

While its a bitter pill, it's probably not worth the additional stress and anguish of trying to battle this.

Yep. No way I'd be letting this go. I'd be threatening legal action if they didn't take it back and have a look at a bare minimum.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and thn what? There is no way that we know of that the OP can prove the damage existed when they boutght the car. In fact, given the length of time and the fact that it passed the NCT, legal action would most likely go against the OP who wuld probably have to pay the garage's costs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thats the bit I have a problem - gearbox welded to chassis? They`d want to be good repairers to weld a gearbox to the chassis!!

As usual I dont think we are getting the entire story here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's most likely a mangled gearbox mount or something that is welded instead of being bolted to chassis.

Given the repair quotes, ive a feeling there must be structural damage perhaps to bulkhead / tunnel / floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I was thinking the same thing here. The gearbox mount usually connects in to a box section metal frame that is spot welded to one of the chassis legs. If the car had a hard smack from the front then this could happen.

I'm interested to know what the other damage underneath is.

I know nothing about cars but I do know the basics of welding. When the mechanic brought me under the car on the lift after having discovered the welds , the first thing I seen is that the gearbox and the frame/chasis which it was spot welded to are two different materials. I’m surprised the botched repair even lasted 6 months. How could any garage or court of law believe that if I was aware of these dodgy repairs I would take a car on a public road , potentially having family and friends in the car with me, it would be a suicide mission. Neither the garage or any of the relevant authorities give a **** , but if that car had of being driven at speed when the welds snapped , it could have been a totally different scenario (fatal) and I’m sure they would have taken it seriously then.

Im only in my 20’s and I believe age is a big factor of not being taken seriously here.

You are crying out for evidence of this being old damage yet it seems you won't make a phone call to audi see if any evidence of repair on the cars history.

Windup I'm thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Notmything

Dunno, but there is re-reg who posts long winded, ever changing, bad luck stories about things going wrong or happening to them. But when posters ask for proof or pictures they get more excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

There's more than a whiff of a well known troll in this.

1 - No matter who the dealer was unless some very shoddy back street seller, they'd have a look. Their reputation is at stake.

2 - If the OP cannot find anything whatsoever in the car history, why would they think the dealer could be better?

3 - If the dealer got a solicitors letter and did not reply, any half decent solicitor would push it further.

4 - Style of writing and replies very similar to a certain troll that comes on regularly with new handles

5 - OP is being very sketchy with information and it does seem to be made up

So in my opinion, this is compete BULLSH1T

#don'tfeedthetrolls

• Advertisement

@mickdw I took your advise from earlier in the week and have been speaking to Audi UK which have told me that there is no parts ordered from Audi in the uk and maybe parts that have been used could have come from salvage. Appreciate your help with that , it’s something I hadn’t taught of doing .

@Notmything In relation to posting pictures , I’m not sure if somebody from the garage in question is on here looking at this and if it did end up going the legal route it wouldn’t look great posting pictures online. For the same reason I have not mentioned the garages name. anybody who would like to see a pictures of the damage I can send privately that’s absolutely no problem, any car persons opinion would be greatly valued.

@silver2020 completely agree with some of your Above points. Each I will respond to.

1. The dealer is not a main Audi dealer but has 2/3 showrooms nationwide.
    2. Again as said above , I’ve been on to Audi UK who unfortunately couldn’t give me any more relevant information.
    3. The solicitor I used originally turned out to be useless and am now in talks with another solicitor.
    4. Im no troll, have never used boards.ie before just came on asking for some advise to see if anyone who had a similar experience and if they got any results.
    5. The reason I’m being sketchy with some information as I’ve pointed out in point number 2. But as I said above if anybody with car knowledge would like to see the pictures contact me privately and that will be no problem.

Everyone who has commented on the thread , their opinion is valued. I’m just trying to weigh up my options here. Not here to be arguing over the web with anyone.

If you think this is bullshit , take your comments elsewhere.

You did well to get to speak to the DVLA about crash history and AUDI UK by just ringing up as a random punter and with a chassiss number.

I got on to DVLA after in happened back in august , mind you was an absolute mission to get speaking to anyone there. Got on to Audi during the week after the advise on this thread and couldn’t help me either. It’s not for the want of trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Answered almost the same as the well known troll answers.

It simply does not add up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bought a car from a ‘reputable dealership’ early 2021 , after driving the car for 6 months it began making noises. Took to my local mechanic to discover that the car was structure was damaged and had previously been involved in a crash.

Out of curiosity, as this was 6 months from buying it, why did you take it to your local mechanic and not to the dealer who sold it to you as I take it for granted it came with at least 12months warranty?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

He's searching the Internet for suitable images as we speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP said:

Post #39 @anewme yes franchised dealership.

Post #67 The dealer is not a main Audi dealer but has 2/3 showrooms nationwide.

So the dealer appears to have a franchise for a brand or brands other than Audi.

Advertisement