Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Payroll theft

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,754 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know a lady and she also stole over €400,000 from work. She got two years in jail but was out in a few months.

She had to do community service tough and she told everybody she was doing work experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't think she would get away with putting work experience on her CV though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So a few assumptions first:

1. She had the foresight in the early years to plan ahead and set aside money for when it all ends (take a good look at her photo and ask yourself would she really have such foresight) - but
    2. She does have a criminal mind and may well have been influenced or assisted by other criminals over the years
    3. She acted alone and no one else knew what she was doing- not a chance - someone else helped her spend or hide the money

With money laundering legislation, (she worked in a role where she would have been well aware of what money laundering is )buying a property with cash is not the wisest of moves and it also would mean she would have been handing over bundles of cash as well as the foresight of “saving” consistently through the years to get enough money in the first place- even if she put that money into a front company, it would have been found by now so I’d rule out property.

As she has a family I’ve no doubt that maybe 12k a year went on weekly shopping and maybe 15k went on takeaways and dining out.

a few holidays a year takes care of maybe another 10k - a heavy drinking habit might take care of another 5k a year which brings us to about 1/2 of the annual 80+

With social welfare benefits and both wages looking after household bills and maybe car running costs , unless she was supporting a cocaine habit she’d have about 30k to “get rid of” annually .

In the early years simple home improvements - paint and decorate, new furniture, garden landscaped etc might account for that-

If she did hide away some I reckon maybe in more recent years gold or Rolex watches hidden away in a trusted persons home- easy to convert to cash at a later stage, is likely to be the option she considered, unless she brought a new car or two every 3 years - that would definitely take care of 30k

Greedy spending habits on items such as booze holidays and depreciating cars could well account for the majority of spending - however I’d like to see evidence that she did actually purchase such items because otherwise there’s no doubt there’s a good chunk of change out there somewhere

With your fixed salary mandated into your account Its not easy to spend this additional money without getting noticed, especially when withdrawing it in cash. If you then buy all requirements in cash you’re left with your monthly wages unspent - very hard to explain with a couple of kids and a household to maintain. I see she has very white teeth so maybe a dentist bill or two will account for that. But I’d really like to see year on year the proof of how the money was spent- I don’t think there was much left over but I’d say a good 150k could still be out there somewhere .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Interesting to note that this lady is already out of prison having served less than 4 months.

I assume she is no longer employed by Virgin Media, wonder what her plans are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Garlic man got 6 years but was released early.

Gas country altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Ridiculous alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think i read it was a month for every 200k she stroked.

She'll give it a few years and start digging up the garden and cashing in on the hidden stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

What a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

#gendersentencinggap

• Advertisement
Advertisement