Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WORDLE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭boccy23

Wordle 287 6/6

🟨🟩🟩⬜🟩

⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩

⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩

⬜🟩🟩🟨🟩

🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Made a complete disaster to that. Forgot I had a letter from the first guess and was trying to get other words to fit!!!! Complete meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wench

Wordle 287 3/6

⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩

🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Wordle 287 3/6*

🟩🟨⬛⬛⬛

🟩🟨⬛🟩🟨

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Wordle 287 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜

🟨🟨⬜🟨🟨

🟨🟨🟨⬜🟨

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Could’ve cried with relief to get a 3 for the first time in weeks! I’ve only ever gotten a 2 once, before I started posting here I was hovering between 3s and 4s most days with an occasional 5 or 6. New phone on Thursday and it wiped my history 😢

Wordle 287 3/6

🟨⬛⬛🟨🟩

🟩🟩⬛🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Wordle 287 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜

⬜🟩⬜🟨🟩

🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

I couldn’t post my previous day as I don’t log in here until I’ve played the current days game.

I’d be game to restart the leagues and all post our daily tallies instead of scores

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Actually having a decent start to the week. Cue a string of 5s and 6s

Wordle 287 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜

⬜⬜🟩🟨🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Wordle 287 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩

🟨🟨⬜🟨🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Advertisement

Changing what we post doesn't help, it still leaves plenty of ways to cheat. I could tell you tomorrow's answer right now, in fact.

If we don't have faith in the gentleman's agreement that we not cheat, then the whole exercise is pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wordle 287 5/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨

🟩⬜🟨🟨🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Wordle 287 4/6

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩

⬜🟩⬜🟨🟩

🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

too many options in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I’m happy to take posters at their word tbh, we have no way of knowing if people are cheating or not so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I’ll keep posting my scores and taking part, some weeks are better than others for me and I’m at about 50% 3’s since I started. There is a lot of luck involved but skill also plays a part. If there was no skill then we’d all have the same score on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Wordle 287 3/6

🟩⬛⬛⬛🟩

🟩🟩⬛🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There is definitely an element of skill - since I started properly concentrating, and taking my time between guesses, my score has gone from 5's average to mostly 3, with a few 4s and very few 5s.

But some days there is definitely more luck than skill involved.

And I'm another who was deeply sceptical of one particular day when the word (which I've now forgotten) was highly unusual and there were a whack of 2s for it.

But it's more fun doing it in company, with a bit of competition to it (even if it's only "competition"), so I'm staying in!

• Administrators Posts: 14,048 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'm screenshotting this because it's not going to last!! 😂

If there was no skill then we’d all have the same score on average.

When you have a word with multiple possibilities like there have been a good few of recently then there's no skill.. It's just guess work.

STO-E

was one recently, at least 5 options for that missing letter. It's just random whether we pick the right one. Someone might get it immediately and it could take 5 guesses for another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Wordle 287 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜

🟨⬜🟨🟨🟨

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Not necessarily, if your first word has eliminated some of the options for that missing letter then you might only be left with one option.

Just because you and a few others may end up having lots of options doesn’t mean that everyone ends up in that situation. My starter word and subsequent words are as much about eliminating letters as finding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Wordle 287 3/6*

🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛

🟩🟩🟨⬛⬛

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,048 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think we all play like that @Bogwoppit. We're obviously either finding letters or eliminating them. But I think if someone scores 2, 2 or 3 days in a row then there's more going on there than just skill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You see lots of people trying to guess the last letter on multiple goes. Often it is worth sacrificing a go to use 3 or 4 of the potential last letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Wordle 287 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

🟩🟩🟨⬛⬛

🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Pistachio

Wordle 287 2/6

🟩🟨⬜🟨⬜

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 So chuffed! One of those words that I recently had to look up 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Wordle 287 3/6

🟩🟨⬛🟨⬛

🟩🟩⬛🟨⬛

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Wordle 287 4/6

⬛🟨⬛🟨🟩

🟨🟨⬛🟨🟩

🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Should have been a 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

why should it have been a 3? your third guess was wrong.

Let's not get bogged down in who might be manipulating their scores. I'm happy that, on the laws of probability, nearly everyone is playing with a straight bat, we just carry on as is. If you're in the mood to fiddle the results, then you have a serious issue! Just my pov

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Probably meant they had to pick between 2 words for their 3rd guess and picked the wrong one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

Correct, yet mysteriously certain posters here never ever “guess” the wrong letter. We all know who they are.

I read somewhere that something like 7% of players on a given day guess in two goes worldwide so being extremely generous you could expect a 2 maybe once a fortnight, sometimes we have good weeks and land two in a week before going weeks without one at all, yet some players here average <3 over a full week and that’s just not possible. My personal favourite is when they get a two and throw out the old “wasn’t many options left after my first word” nonsense!

It’s been obvious for weeks that there is cheating going on - it’s hard to fathom why, but look at the top of the table on any given week and you will find some players who managed a whole week without a 4, that’s just statistically extremely unlikely no matter how good a player you may be. I had thought about jacking in this like some other posters have already said but instead I just ignore the posters who are clearly cheating and compete (in my own head) against the rest who I believe are genuine. Best thing Pencil did to out the cheats was to include the daily scores.

Hopefully the talk of the last few days will see the cheats leave and realise how ridiculous it is to cheat in a prizeless competition on an anonymous message board!

Advertisement