Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP

• 20-01-2022 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Hi there,

I applied yesterday to be put on my local council list to try and receive hap I am a single person on a income of €27k a year before tax.

Just wondering how long before I would hear if im entitled to HAP and also is it very hard to get a landlord to accept this.

Are they very strict in criteria when it comes to HAP? Any information welcome.

Tagged:

Comments

• If you fall under the income bracket to be eligible for social housing you’re eligible for HAP. Getting HAP is only possible when you’re on the list, so if you are rejected from that you won’t get hap

Note: receiving HAP will remove you from the list automatically (you’re deemed as housed) but you have 2 weeks to ask the local authority to place you on the *transfer list*. Be aware that transfers take a great deal longer than just being on the list, but I suggest you do so all the same. you don’t have to do it within two weeks btw - just means your place on the waiting list won’t be changed.

so for example if you apply and you’re spot number 100, once you get the letter saying you’re eligible for HAP and the payments will start, contact the council and you’ll still be number 100. But if you wait more than 2 weeks you will be back to the very bottom and any applicants since you were removed to the time when you apply will be ahead of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Thanks very much for your information - i am happy enough to get HAP to be housed. If i am off the list im ok with that as long as I say some of my rent could be paid. Just wondering do you have any idea is the process long of hearing back from the council regards if you are accepted or rejected and is their some sort of interview meeting that takes place. I am new to all this so being honest havnt a clue about anyhting.

• To my knowledge, no (re interview) but that’s not to say they don’t just I never heard of there being one (and I didn’t need to attend one myself)

as for how long it’s usually pretty quick mainly depends how many applications your particular Co. Co receive on a daily/weekly basis, once they’re satisfied you meet the conditions it’s straightforward enough. Just make sure you’ve given them any necessary documents as these things are usually what cause delays.

if you have submitted it very recently (like just in the past few days) maybe give them a ring next week and see if there’s any update. They might be able to advise on the rough timeframe as well!

worth asking also if they’re okay with you submitting a HAP form as well since I’m fairly sure the housing officer will be the one reviewing the HAP and housing list applications so you might even fast track things a bit that way!

Quick question is your income based or net or gross? The told me my gross income was over the limit. My take home pay every month is 2110 and this is well under the 30k limit if it is net income.

• Advertisement

• afaik it’s NET not gross. But LA can decide to set lower limits if they want, what I would suggest is you contact them and ask that it be reassessed as you feel like you do fall under the limit.

Thank you im going to contact them and appeal it as my net income is under the limit of 30k. My local authority threshold is 30k so i should fall under it. Thanks hopefully its their error :)

• it does happen on occasion in fairness, always worth double checking if you think they’re wrong!

Advertisement