Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shootout 2022 20th - 24th January

Options
  • 20-01-2022 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭

The Shootout started today. 128 players down to 2 for the final Sunday night.

Coverage on Eurosport. Leicster is the venue. With England's restrictions easing probably be a decent crowd and atmosphere over the weekend.

Reigning champ Ryan Day is already out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This is mad stuff!

I'd never even heard of it before all the promos on Eurosport during the Masters.

Very entertaining indeed. That 15yr old Welsh youngfella was just brilliant!

Anyone know how many Irish are in it? I see Ken and Fergal O'Brien listed, but wouldn't know many of the other names on the circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Aaron Hill will be there too.

It counts towards the 1 year list so that matters for the Players Championship in early February as I understand it. For the likes of Selby and Bingham who sit outside the top 16 at the minute.

Also it attracts ranking points so it should matter to the players down the list/trying to get into the top 64.

Yeah, reading about it, no player in the top 16 at the time has ever won it, so it's a great boost chance for the lower ranked players.

Most entertaining!

That overhead 360 camera is horrible, makes me feel seasick 🤢.

There was a few exciting close games, Shaun Murphy pulled off a great finale to the session!

The crowd were bad enough by the last game, what on earth will they be like tonight??? 😱

This is great fun, lovely diversion from tennis overload!

Watching repeat (I think 😊) of Dale match v Ollie Lines on Eurosport2.. Desi is lovely 😆

• Advertisement

5 Irish playing tonight - including one all-Irish face-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

2 from Cork! :)

I like the sweeping camera.

I see Tatiane lets her down for this event. Getting into the spirit of things.

I dunno how they get away with that, Desislava was the same at the Masters with it swinging all over - if I did that, by the end of a single frame the table would be littered with my hair!! Maybe they superglue it first..... 🤔

nice from Bulman

• Advertisement

nice from Hill

Mark 'the Pistol' Allen should be winning this event, but you never know what stumbling block a player will hit.

Certainly won that first frame in a convincing manner.

Lad needed a snooker there.. managed to get the 4 points, and 'ball in hand' off an in-off, but no way was Saengkham potting 8 balls in just over a minute.. 😁 He gave up after three pots, as had just about 10 seconds left coming to last green..

No one's ever won a frame in this comp from needing a snooker.. interesting stat that..

The white don't half seem to travel on the surface,,,,

Mitchell Mann doing well here, both in safety and potting, as well as showboating 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Just Some Young Lad

To be honest I'd love if there was a second tournament with this rule format in the calendar. Often I find that in the longer sessions it can be a bit painful to watch two lower ranked players. The shootout is exciting no matter who is at the table.

Plus: I'd be more of a pool player and it's very similar to a lot of those shootout events and the mosconi cup etc.

Yan Bingtao out after effectively playing one shot. Unlike other tournaments you still get 250 quid. Although this first round losing fee doesn't count towards ranking points.

Peter Devlin is reminiscent of a young Dominic Dale... odds on to be going home here though.. Vafaei playing well

God, the crowd are a monumental PITA at this stage. Makes it unwatchable for me, can't listen to any more of that.

Ken too loose there. But squeaks in

Michael Holt knows how to play the shootout for sure. It's a certain gameplan, fascinating game within a game.

• Advertisement

I'm fascinated with the intricacies of this game/format. It's utterly ingenious!!! Can't believe I'd never heard of it before, but I fell out of watching and following snooker for a long time, only back to it recently.

Strategy on the table, strategy with the time and timing, skill, a large dollop of luck - and all with a clock literally ticking in your ear! Actually, two clocks!!

But the crowd destroyed it for me tonight. Why would you even buy tickets for an event and then just go and ballyhoo drunkenly all night long - they weren't even applauding decent shots, were they actually even watching?

I get that it's not the hushed theatre atmosphere of The Crucible, and it's a fun (but yet serious) event.... but jaysus they've taken it too far the other way IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

crowd we’re just a load of drunken attention seeking assholes, pity, like you say it’s the only off putting element to it.

would be much better if they embraced the rules on the table as they are in this format but reverted to ensuring quiet in the audience…

still be exciting and with a less circus full of gurning clowns vibe be really better…more tension too.

15-yr old youngfella coming up next - wonder can he nick his way through to day 3???

Awww, he was very unlucky in that!! Great safety, just never got the chance to get going.

At least he had the distinction of having lost in the lowest ever scoring game!

That Iranian, Vafaei, is a class act!

Never heard of him, how is he not making the final stages of big comps?? Or maybe he has and I just hadn't heard.... but I think the commentators yesterday mentioned he had trouble getting visas to get to competitions.

If he gets the rub of the green he has to have a great chance in this, two brilliant breaks in the first two rounds.

That was an unlucky way of fouling there by Luca - the red not making the pocket 😓 After that, there were plenty there for Blackwell.. Still time!!!

Aaron Hill got v lucky in that - but made the most of it as well. Clever play!

Great game to end the afternoon between the two Marks!!

It was all happening in the 10 minutes - fouls, snookers, in-offs, great pots!

Blue ball shootout!

Some pink by Kleckers!

• Advertisement

Advertisement