Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish - problems learning

Options
  • 20-01-2022 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

My son is in 5th class and is having major problems with Irish.

He's really falling behind and struggling.

Is there any book or online resource that would help him.

I am hoping to find some kind of structured crash course in the basics that I could do with him.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Is it oral or written Irish you are concerned about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

Both, his basics of Irish are not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

The cula 4 app is brilliant. I’d download that for him. Another option is for you to take lessons yourself ? Could then ask him to help you ‘study’.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I've seen a series of "I Hate.." books and there is one called "I Hate Irish". Might be worth a Google, they seemed pretty good, for you to "revise" and be able to help him with the basics.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Oral language wise, hard to beat the children's programmes on Cúla4

https://www.cula4.com/ga/

The Irish "Glance Cards" here are good for clear and concise grammar- use them as a reference more than a long slog. Go through them a few times, so that he knows how to use them and then revise now and again.

For enhancing written work, Snas ar Scéal (Literally "Polish on a Story) is well worth printing out and having . There are two cards - Eochairchéim 1, 2 There are also games on that link.

http://www.nicurriculum.org.uk/curriculum_microsite/snas_ar_sceal/index.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement