Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 NFL Playoffs - Divisional Round Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Very American idea to only give one team a chance to decide a game I guess.

Unsure about havoc to the networks. Big drop off for them as soon as a game ends. Make it only for playoff games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

Couldn't the decision about who takes possession first in OT be made dependent on the initial coin toss? Then at least you'd know coming up to the end of regular time, and might adjust your strategy. Feels like it would take away some of the unfairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,274 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The college football overtime system is way better. Each team gets the ball at the 25 yard line. If they both score the same then it goes to a second overtime where you must attempt a two point conversion if you score a touchdown. If both teams score the same in that period then it goes to two point conversions only, just one play to get it.

That keeps going until one team scores and one team doesn't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Do we really want a team that puts up 10 points in a huge playoff game in the superbowl?

They weren't in a huge playoff game, it was the divisional round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Or couldn't it be based on some metric from the actual game with the criteria known in advance?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How is the divisional round not a huge playoff game?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

Only 2-2 this weekend but I don't care. Rams move on.

8-2 for playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Stop me if you’ve heard this one but I stayed up and kept watching past when I said I wasn’t. I got to the sometime in the fourth quarter before I fell asleep. Some bloody game it was and you’d have to feel for the bills. The NFL must be over the moon with how the games went, even if the niners and packers wasn’t as good as the other three.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I would be very much a casual fan, don't have a team, tend to root for the underdog or the team I dislike least. Recorded the second game and watch it skipping ads and such. Condense those final few mins and show it to people and they'll all be watching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

WOW what a weekend of games, and they saved the best until last, incredible stuff. An Offensive & in particular a QB masterclass by Mahomes & Allen, I think the Chiefs have just that bit more fire-power with Mahomes\Hill & Kelse.

I think it'll be a Chiefs/Rams SB, & wouldn't be surprised if the Rams came out on top, I think they are a better more complete team, offence & Defence.

Having said that it'll take some effort to beat Mahomes & Co. in their current form.

Post edited by Morrisseeee on

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

The college system is flawed as well - I have seen OT games go on in college for 10+ possessions until you get a winner and the way the scoring was going last night neither defense was stopping anyone late on.

At the end of a 17 game season to ask Pro Players to go out and do this would be a hard ask. The winner would be in no fit shape to play a game the next week let alone a conference championship against a team who might have an extra days rest.

I don't think there is a better way to decide OT - Its a team game , the Bills Defense had a chance to close out the game with 13 seconds left and didn't take it so you are left to the lottery of the OT coin toss. I feel sorry for them but the same happened to the chiefs and they rebounded to win a super bowl - I hope that we are able to say the same for the Bills next year as they are one of the top teams in the AFC and well built to carry that on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In what is supposed to be a very fair game, what with the way the draft system works and a different winner pretty much every year, it does seem strange they go with a coin toss and if you score that's it.

Try something different. Start at the halfway. Only 3 downs, fewer players on field.

Can't really complain about the outcome, but it would've been a great advert for a fresh approach to overtime the way they were playing.

They've added an extra game to a season, I think if it meant a chance of a superbowl, then a player would say yeah, I'll do it.

0-4 which isn’t great at all. So 5-5 for the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

2-2 this week so 8-2 in the playoffs.

By far the best weekend of playoff football I can remember - it had it all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

As great as last nights game was, it didn’t top super bowl from few years ago when Brady led a Pats comeback vs the Falcons. That display from Brady was one of the greatest sporting performances I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭collybyrne

0-4 takes me to 4-6 for the playoffs. Doesn't get much more wrong than that!

Disappointing but not surprising to see the Packers go out like that. Really taints Rodgers legacy to see this happening so often. Titans Bengals was pretty old school in the way the defences dominated and was one of those games where you really couldn't pick between them but someone had to win. Glad to see Burrow make it to a Championship game though and hope they can at least put in a good showing. Don't give them a hope against the Chiefs though.

The NFC game should be closer based on previous results but the Rams really looked to be hitting some form before the meltdown at the end of the game. That pass rush is out of this world and OBJ is just starting to do enough to take some of the heat off Kupp who was lethal anyway.

Like everyone else I think it'll be Rams Chiefs in the big one and I can't call it. Rams D vs Chiefs O and right now it's a toin coss for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭threeball

I predicted I'd go 0-4 and I was right :D. No shame in it considering the winning margins were edge of a razor.

Gotta feel for the Bills. Play any other team of the weekend and they blow them away but the Chiefs and Mahomes just will not go away. Hard to see them stopped on that form. Bengals certainly won't. Rams have the best chance as they're more rounded than the 49ers but they could very well lose to the 49ers next week.

I dont know whether I was more impressed with Allen or Mahomes but they've brought QB play to s level not seen before. Insane versatility in both their games.

Did you read what I wrote?

I'm thinking by your comments that you are talking about the old playoff system. They changed it last year and it's much better.

• Advertisement

I look at the Championship rounds and Superbowl as huge games.

Obviously all playoff games are important but you've won nothing by winning a wildcard or divisional round game.

Post edited by eagle eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭VillaMad

One thing you could do is the higher seed going into the game is guaranteed to get the ball first in overtime in advance courtesy of the advantage of having the better record. Would take out the coin flip element which nobody is happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

No need to tilt things even more in the favour of top seeds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

How did you fall asleep during the 4th?!

Last night was one of the best games I've ever seen, very close with that Rams/Chiefs 54-51 Monday night game a few seasons ago with the 14 TDs.

The Pats OT win over the Chiefs that year robbed us of a repeat matchup in the Superbowl, instead we got the most boring SB ever. I'm hoping for a Rams/Chiefs SB this year and another classic.

Well they are huge in the sense that 4 of the best teams in the league were eliminated last weekend, you may have won nothing but a loss ends your season. Saying they not huge games is just wrong TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Yeah apologies I was thinking of the old system - that seems a little better but it might be a tough one to get through the competition committee. They don't historically like making big changes - usually small tweaks here and there.

Took the NFL 38 years to bring in the 2pt conversion from college football so I dont see any change soon.

And ? The divisional round to me is the equivalent of the third round of the FA cup.

Well I'd have it down as more important than that but still not huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Isn't exactly like the quarter finals? 5th round, like?

Except there's no Premier League or anything else?

Feckin is huge.

Advertisement