Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old house bought - want to get it up to A rating

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Buying an old house and not doing it up is the way to save money. Living in a BER D, C or whatever is fine. Heating doesn't cost so much

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

Maybe it’s ok with BRE C

my friend recently bought a BRE D2 house.

he just did wood floor polishing n vanish by himself, he rent a machine for 2 days. another room changed carpet, re-paint the wall by himself. Bought all new beds mattress n new fridge, sofa, coffee table. Bought all 3 bedroom new wardrobe

all the curtains changed. Got a new fancy TV.

then he also bought a lot of tools for the house and got rid of the old shed in the small garden.

everything add together was like around 11k.

now the furniture n TV he bought were not cheap stuff. Not v expensive but good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,242 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I see a lot of people doing this. The return just isn't there doing a lot of work at the moment. That said its also an investment in reducing your running costs in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,242 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Location location location.

For many they will have no choice as there are no new houses where they want to be.

If I had a choice I'd go new build. I prefer the layout and room proportions of new houses. Though depends on the house. Some old houses have more character. I used to think I don't want a small garden. But it's getting harder to maintain a big garden.

I'm sure if asked in another 5 yrs I'll have changed my mind again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had the conversation with a friend who was buying a house. Was looking at houses for 300k plus, needing another 100k spent on them.

Convinced her to buy a dearer house that was walk in. Bought an A2 rated house for 390k and was glad she did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

Definitely much easier w new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

That is true but lets say you make a house 90% more efficient than normal, you won't make a 90% saving because people living in old houses just tend to tolerate a lower temperature than running the heating more to compensate. One of the most common things that people say about very efficient homes is just how comfortable they are, which is a giveaway to the fact that there is lifestyle creep. Having a cosy draught-free home is a great thing but it isn't the same as saving money.

Advertisement