Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will road projects speed up when the Greens are voted out?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That was my original point though. The greens get blamed for loads of things (including it seems MUP) despite having either nothing or next to nothing to do with the thing. There are numerous reasons to be disgruntled at changes or lack of change but blaming the greens who have pretty much no influence overall within government is just daft and gives a green card to those actually responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The greens were around in the 2007 to 2011 gov and held the balance of power just like now. So anyone who thinks they didn't help kill shannonbridge and edenderry is deluded.

Drop Electric car prices to affordable levels and make PT an actual thing outside Dublin and then I'll withdraw my gowls comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Electric cars are already cheaper than diesel/petrol cars... over their lifetime: EVs cost about €10~15k more to buy, but cost around €2k less per year to run, with a quicker payback if you do more mileage. I’d argue that instead of giving nice prices to people who can already spend big, what we need to be doing is allowing people to pay those high initial costs off more easily without getting into long-term (and thus higher interest) finance agreements.

But realistically, our biggest problem right now is that there are almost no second-hand EVs around: most people who will change a car this year won’t be buying a new car, and to them it won’t matter a damn if a new EV is the same price as a new petrol car.

I agree with you about PT, but PT isn’t free. The money has to come from higher taxes (good luck with that…) or by redistributing the existing transport budget.

So anyone who thinks they didn't help kill shannonbridge and edenderry is deluded.

Shannonbridge was killed off by ABP decisions against its continued use in 2019.

Edenderry is not killed and recently got a 7 year extension to its operation approved by ABP.

Neither have anything to do with the greens unless you have evidence otherwise. Note suspicions and conspiracy theories don't count as evidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The biggest issue is not in the country but rather in towns and cities and it’s not just the Greens causing the issue.

The biggest issue for me is the continual building of huge, impenetrable blocks of housing estates with only 1 entrance and exit. It causing absolutely huge traffic hit spots and putting pressure on existing road infrastructure.

To make it worse, urban road improvements only happen when the system is in complete meltdown (See Carrigaline). I’m not calling for a full American style grid system. However, just look at Cork.

City centre is mega busy (Expected). The next layer of streets built in the first half of 20C has little traffic because it is grid system. The outskirts are then hugely clogged up again because no effort was made to improve infrastructure and again these huge blocks of housing estates.

All road projects are put in the back burner because of the perception that road improvements will hurt public transport usage. It’s absolutely crazy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The biggest issue for me is the continual building of huge, impenetrable blocks of housing estates with only 1 entrance and exit.

to a certain extent, this is not just about roads; a lad on twitter a couple of years ago put out a challenge to see who could find the most walled off housing estate, for people walking. IIRC someone was able to point out that to walk to a house less than 100m from their own involved a 40 minute walk.

if you've to walk 15 or 20 minutes to go for a pint of milk because housing estates are designed to be impermeable, that will just create more car traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This was always a good one. Utterly ridiculous that there isn't a gap in this wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I have to walk 850m to reach the house 15m from me. The area I live in is frequently bumper-to-bumper with local traffic dropping kids to school or going to the shop, and it's a hostile area for active transport. We can do an awful lot to improve traffic, without even needing to ban cars and build new roads!

Probably off topic.

But back on-topic, I didn't vote Green in the last election (I'm not "party faithful") but I don't think that the Greens are a significant source of road project delays, nor do I think that the Greens being voted out will result in roads projects speeding up.

I read it very often on Boards about how the Greens are the source of so many problems, but on most issues I've seen, I don't think the Green party are the source of the problem. That doesn't mean I think the Greens are innocent of all wrongdoing, definitely not, but I think there's an awful lot of politicking going on right now. It's definitely worth investigating on a per-project basis, what the source of the hold-ups might be. For sure, in some cases it will be the Green Party, but I think the political spin at the moment is that "the Greens are blocking most of the roads projects" and I don't think that's the reality. From what I've seen anyway. It could also be spun the other way, that there's a correlation between the Greens being in Government and roads projects going ahead. But that's not true either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: This is not the Politics forum, so it is not the place for political discussions, and in particular, raw partisan politics.

Much of this thread is spent knocking one political party with no balance, and has no relevance to roads. For example MUP has nothing to do with roads, the Green Party, or with infrastructure.

If the standard of posting does not improve, the thread will be closed.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

This was my one haha - for bonus points the residents of each estate successfully campaigned for the railings to be coated in a anti climb paint ie if you try to hop over those railings you'll destroy your hands and clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not 100% relevant, by my niece had a friend when she was younger called 'sarah cross the wall'. because when sarah would visit her to play, or vice versa, the kids would simply be lifted over the garden wall (it was a fence, actually) to spare the ten minute walk.

Advertisement