Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future of Leaving Cert Irish

• 22-01-2022 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Mandf

Hi, I am thinking of studying Irish in college to become a secondary school teacher. There is a bad new junior cycle course, leaving cert reform with the number of subjects being reduced and a new leaving cert Irish course specifications which increase literature. Do you think Irish will remain a compulsory subject for leaving cert into the future for the next 10-20 years? Should I be worried about Irish becoming an optional subject? What subject apart from maths and home economics would go well with Irish to become a secondary school teacher? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Treppen

Irish and another language like Spanish or French or German.

Believe it or not there is a very strong Irish Language lobby in parts of Government and Universities.

No politician wants to be the one who Kills off Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

The amount of primary Gael scoils is increasing too so more kids are happy to do Irish, I’d say it’s future is very secure !!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Newbie20

As an Irish teacher myself, I can say it’s incredibly easy to get a job. However, I think they’ve made such a mess of the JC and inevitably will do the same with the LC, that I really hate teaching it at this stage and wish I had picked a different subject.

I have another in demand subject that I love teaching but I keep getting given more and more Irish because it’s so hard to get teachers. As regards it’s future, it’s hard to see it going anywhere in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No fear of Irish being removed from our education system. It's a sacred cow, a touchstone, a subject that will keep on paying. You're on safe ground there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Mandf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Irish is very hard to teach with the new JC, and the new LC is going to be the same. Read some of the literature you'll have to teach before you decide. Lots of deaths ,depressed people, paedophiles. Hard to get JC kids interested.

Will the Leaving cert specifications be changed or remain the same do you think?

The new L1 and L2 specifications i mean

Do you think the new L1 and L2 specifications will remain the same or will they be changed?

I don't know. Probably remain the same. No one knows. People would have to be on the media, speaking in English, to get anyone to support changing it. The Irish Teachers group put out a very good report on it, but all in Irish and very long. So wasn't picked up by anyone I believe. They would have to be like "They're bringing back the Peig era" to get anyone's attention.

• Advertisement

Do you think the new course will be harder than the old course for English speaking schools?

Má tá suim agat a bheith i do mhúinteor iarbhunscoile sa Ghaeilge, ba chóir duit staideár a dhéanamh ar céim oideachais sa triú léibhéil. Is é sin le rá, déan staideár i gColáiste Mhuire gan Smál i nDúrlas Éile (le Mhata, Gnó, nó Religiúin), nó i Coláiste na hOllscoile, Corcaigh, (le Mhata, Spáinnis, Fraincis, Geármáinis, nó Íodáilis).

Muna ndéanfidh tú ceann de na cúrsaí sin, caithfidh tú "PME" a dhéanamh, sin cúrsa 2-bhlian agus tuigim go bhfuil an costas a bhaineann leis níos mó ná €7000 nó rud éigin mar sin.

Táim sa i gCMgS ag déanamh Gaeilge, agus is aoibhinn liom é!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 egyptiansandwitch6

Didn't that one Peig used to smoke Lyons Tea bags, when she ran out of tobacco?

She must have known Ireland would be Pegged during the Break Dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭babyducklings1

I’ve never understood why we couldn’t do more to promote Irish as a living language , like having a shopping street in a town ( any town not just a Gaeltacht area) where Irish is the spoken medium) get people living the language and experiencing it. Has it ever even been tried, young people would be especially good in doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 egyptiansandwitch6

The street already exists in Rome. Irish is a Latin language, taught to wealthy Roman Catholics, by Priests.

Natives to the island of Ireland used to speak Celtic (different alphabet altogether), before St. Patrick arrived on our shores, from the Vatican.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭French Toast

Irish will not be optional any time soon. The government who makes that decision will be driving a sizeable nail in the languages coffin and will not want that blood on their hands.

Unfortunately, they've made a complete hatchet job of JC Irish. Do away with the optional oral exam and load up on literature? Completely the opposite of what was needed.

What do you think will happen with the new leaving cert Irish course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

A lot of us from the múinteoirí gaeilge page have put an objection in about it. So I expect it will go ahead as planned.

Yes, absolutely. There's a serious anti-Irish bias in the NCCA. Well, Irish as a language. They're all for Irish literature on courses as so many of them have relatives who write books.

Advertisement