Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical-lights hi & lo not working

Options
  • 22-01-2022 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Bike: Vstrom 1000 DL 2014

Had another thread going about jumping this bike of a car last month. Blew fuses etc. Had not noticed I had no lights since then (never drove in the dark but did have side spots)

Problem now is 2 bulbs not working, hi and low

Replaced both and checked fuses in the main fuse box, 15amp fuses are fine, bulbs are fine, every other electrical part of the bike works fine.

strange how the parking light works though no bother.

Any other fuses or possible problems anyone has come across similar? Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

First place I would check on the Strom is the multi-connector blocks close to the L/H Fork. Usually covered with a black flexible plastic shroud. Pull back the shroud and pull apart all connectors.

Check if any of the connection points are corroded, or even just a different colour than the others. If so, then try either cleaning them or just do what I did and run a new piece of cable from either side of the connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Thanks @mgbgt1978 the L/H fork you mention, that the left hand side you're referring to? Cheers,

Yep. I have a 2012 650 Strom, but I'm pretty sure the loom is very similar. Have a look at this thread;

You will probably have to register on the forum to view any pictures

Post edited by mgbgt1978 on

hi ya @mgbgt1978 Have not been able to get access to the site yet, still pending so will have a proper look once it's approved.

Just wondering about that connector block, is that this big black one? There looks to be two of them on the left hand side of the bike by the side fairing.

It looks like I'd probably have to start removing panels to get into this part of the bike. Or maybe I could go in form underneath.

there's a few smaller white connectors closer to the frame of the bike too.

This is where most of the connections from front to rear are on mine. It's more or less behind the "S" on the Tank side-panel. The headlight wires are all in there and are a small bit thicker than most of the other wires. All you can do is take apart any multi-connectors and look for corroded connections. Unfortunately there are a few more connectors that require tank and airbox removal to access them.....

Is the Blue Main Beam light coming on ? I'm guessing it's not, which does point towards the main feed to the headlights being the issue.

You could also try the Starter Switch. It cuts out the lights when starting the bike and can sometimes (rare enough on the V Strom) corrode a bit causing the same issue. You can take it off and spray some electrical cleaner (Halfords have it), or even just some WD40, into it.

Try v-strom.co.uk and stromtrooper.com . Both should let you sign up within a minute or two and both have loads of people with similar issues to yourself.

• Advertisement

Update 😀

It was the starter switch! Rang a mechanic for a quote to diagnose and he said first try pushing the switch in and out rapidly 5-10 times. Anyway all good now. 😁 Will still need to clean the witch out properly though!

"Believe it or not, dirty contacts in the Start button can do it too. Power to the headlight is routed through a second set of contacts in the Start button that turn the headlight off while the starter motor is operating so that the battery's full power is available for starting and headlight problems caused by those contacts becoming dirty is pretty common" cx500forum.com/threads/can-the-ignition-switch-cause-problems-with-the-headlight.103643/

Good job I mentioned it 😅.

Seeing as it definitely is the Switch use Electrical Cleaner Spray 1st and then either WD40 or get some ACF-50 to properly waterproof it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

actually, a lot of Honda's have a similar problem with their starter switch. Everythng from CB to CBR and anythin in-between. There's a tiny microswitch (sealed, naturally... ), which breaks headlight power whilst starter button is engaged.

You put key, lights come on, starter button works fine, lights go off, bike starts, and then............lights don't come back on again. If you flick the button back towards you and lights come on, you know what's wrong. Can be bypassed easily if you need to.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement