Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

There is a lot to like about Ireland - unlike some people I don't like to knock the place. But like every other country, it is far from perfect. You mentioned hospitals earlier in the thread. If healthcare is something high up on your agenda, Ireland is probably not the country for you. Being kind, our healthcare system is creaking under the strain of being badly managed and understaffed. If you take out private health insurance, you will escape the worst of the public healthcare system. But still, if something happens to you and you need to have emergency treatment, you could find yourself sitting for many hours in the Accident and Emergency Department of a hospital. We might not have rats and bugs in the actual wards but some interesting vermin come in for treatment, especially when the pubs are open.

Our infrastructure is a mixed bag too and depending on your circumstances, may be fine or may frustrate you beyond belief. I don't have any hands on experience of setting up or running my own business so I haven't got a clue what that is like here. There is an Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum here on boards so that might be useful to you.

What areas of Dublin were you thinking about living in, by the way? What sort of accommodation were you thinking about renting? I think you genuinely need to spend some time walking around the areas where you think you might be living and working to get an idea of how safe you feel. I don't want to turn this into one of the Dublin bashing threads you see in After Hours, but there is a noticeable anti-social element hanging around parts of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭FacelessVoid

Thank you for the inside information, it is helpful to know that. Health care is not a problem for me now. I will took a look there then. To be honest I don't really know. I was hopping to get a work from home job there with little office interaction. I want something close for the center. I don't want a car so I want a place that is close to the shops, gym and the city center. I prefer to walk. I wanted a 1 bedroom apartment. The studio is to small for me. I like cooking so a studio is not ok for that. I will smell like food every day if I do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

54k is an absolutely great salary for a 25 year old. You would be making more than the vast majority of people the same age as you in Dublin. It's more than enough to get by on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 all-american-girl

We have a few working with us. 54,000 after tax looks like a great salary, and it is by Irish standards, but Dublin is a very expensive city to live in. OP, I would advise you to think hard about your move. Most of the non-Irish devs in my place of work, and they make up a huge majority of the development team, would prefer to work abroad, but that isn't possible at the moment. Ireland was very irresponsible during COVID when it came to money, and people like yourself will be a primary target when the times comes to pay that bill. I moved here a few years ago from NYC, and the cost of living here shocked me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭KaneToad

You are wrong about "outside the Dublin area". I say this as someone who has spent decades in Dublin.

Hello. Wow! If a person who lived in the NYC says that Dublin is expensive that is a big red flag. Thank you for that. I think unless I get a very good offer I will not move. Also I think a trip there before the move will be a great idea. Thank you once again 🙏

Hello, I was thinking that way to and people are exaggerating sometimes. It can't be the same as Dublin of course but there should be life outside of Dublin in Ireland 😄. As you said you have a lot of experience with Ireland, ca you please give me an opinion on weather? I took a look on statistics and it rains more that in other parts of the world, but is it that bad?

Thank you very much! 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I don't know what planet some people are living on but 85k gross for a 25 y.o. single in Dublin is a great salary to have an awesome lifestyle here.

There's plenty of folks on similar salaries who have a spouse, kid, mortgage, two cars and still get by.

Hello, At this point to be hones I don't know what to do. I will think about it. Maybe I will take a trip and work remote for a week to get a feeling of the situation. Thank you very much! 🙏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

85k is a different story, and definitely workable, but doesn't change the fact that rent is expensive. I would still look at a commuter town and see if your office allows work from home, get that rent figure down.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭iwasliedto

If you are to move I would think late springtime is best. The summer in Dublin is nice generally long days of brightness, the sun is up before 5 AM and sets at around 10 PM in June but it is bright long before 5 and doesn't get dark until nearer 10.30. Dublin is the driest part of Ireland normal rainfall is around 800mm a year but last year it was under 700mm. Sofia is about 600mm per year but Dublin rain is less intense so it is spread out with more days of rain. The west coast of Ireland is very different with rainfall up to 2000mm but generally around 1500mm.

That are some valuable information! Thank you! 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

You mention you want to put savings in the stock market, in ETFs. That is a top notch plan but check out how they are taxed here. It is complicated, but for ETFs Ireland is one of the worst places in the world, despite being the centre of the industry, you py tax on them every 8 years, even if you don't sell, and it is at 41%. Check how it works compared to Romania. Askaboutmoney and r/irishpersonalfinance are good places to check this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You're 25, skilled, single? on an excellent income. Move to Dublin, Cork, maybe Galway or Waterford, don't move to a farming area so you can work from home alone. There's a huge diaspora in Dublin, I know a few Romanians working here, seems to be a lively, active and young community. If not the city centre try and get somewhere on the DART line so you can commute in and out easily.

Like any country there's a good bit of animosity towards the Capital, especially on the internet.

41% WHAT?!?!😵 I will have to check that. Thank you very much for the information! 🙏

I am not single. I have a girlfriend which will come with me. She will get a job here as well. Even if she is coming with me and she will work I want to know I can support my self if something bad happens. Thank you very much! 🙏

Hello guys,

I got an offer. I did really good at the interview and they offered me 55000. As I am in a strong situation and I can make a big impact in their team I countered at 110500. What are you thinking about it? Please give me some feedback.

Yeah, that last 500 is very important. I'd have asked for a cool 1 mil but each to their own.

• Advertisement

You should read Never Split the Difference. It will help you a lot 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭vintcerf

not sure if posted here already but please join us: https://www.reddit.com/r/DevelEire/

there's also a Slack channel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

No matter how good of an interview you did, your position is unlikely to be so strong they'd double the salary and then some.

They've probably budgeted for 50-60k for the role; do you really believe you can bring double what they sought to their team?

I will see how they will respond to that. They told me that they need the approval for that budget and they will give me an answer today or tomorrow at least. I am confident that I exceeded their expectations. I will tell you guys what will happen. Thank you! 🙏

Thank you for the invite 🙏. I will take a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would look at this post with sceptiscm. Ireland was irresponsible wiht money.... They will come for people like you.

Its nonsense I wouldnt even believe this poster is from NY either Tbf.

You've had lots of good advice on the thread so far. There's a crotian guy in YouTube who lived in Dublin and moved to galway he has a good view of positives and negatives of his time here. Worth a watch.

Thanks you for your advice 🙏. I was looking at people who were going from shop to shop filming the prices. The prices are not that bad to be honest. Some products are even cheaper than in Romania.

They set a meeting with me for tomorrow. They want to give me feedback about the response. two extra people are invited. I will find out tomorrow what the result are.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

The problem is that here in Romania I save that amount every month (about 3000 euros).

even on 85k you won't be anywhere near saving 3000 per month while living in Dublin, that's for sure.

but otherwise I'd recommend to come over here for a year for starters and see it for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He's young, he'd be bored off his face in a commuter town. Or Offaly.

OP, presumably you and your girlfriend will be looking to make new friends with similar aged people, probably with similar interests, possibly with the same sort of careers. Midweek impromptu pints or other social activities, all the things that young professionals do with very few burdens and a decent salary. Dublin, or one of the other cities, is the best place to do this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement