Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dublin

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,643 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Salary offer is 55k and OP asks for 110k, jaysus wept. This for a lad with 3 years experience... nope 'not for me'.

Plenty of good advice all the same, no reason for anyone in their mid-20s to live anywhere other than in a city and as near to the centre as they can afford, great fun for a year or two just don't expect to save much money (based on actual not fantasy salary figures)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭FacelessVoid

Yes, you are partly true. From that taxes I pay to the state a part for healthcare and a part for pension(I hardly recommend to not rely on that) and the rest part is for income. I do not get annual leave and sick leave days which is not a good thing of course but as I saw even is I take 20 days of leave per year I will be still in an advantage. Regarding job security... I think there is not such thing. Yes it will less of a chance to lose your job as permanent employee but security is provided only by a healthy life style which means saving money, investing and leaving a balance healthy life. I think as a contractor you will save more money in the long term and with some study even retire earlier. Saying all that I need to admit that if I will obtain the same amount of money in a permanent role I will be in advantage.

In the end I want to say that for the cost of living from Ireland salaries are really low. Thank you for your advice 🙏

Well this is how you obtain a bigger salary. It is very important how you propose that to the employer. I recommend reading Never Split the Difference. If you like more a media format Chris Voss has a master class about negotiation, it is amazing. Best man from whom to learn about negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I would have 60k before tax as the minimum a single person, who is happy to share housing, needs to start to feel a bit financially secure in Dublin. You will need a budget particularly if you want to save and still have a social life but it is really the minimum to start to feel comfortable. It would not allow you to live alone unless you sacrifice financial security. You're better off not taking the job if you want to live alone and/or build up significant savings while living in Dublin.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭hello2020

Well this is mostly true that salaries are not that great in IT in Ireland compared to cost of living and taxes.

Dublin is a place to avoid if you don't own a house here as 30% to 50% of salary goes towards housing needs :(

eating out with family is too expensive..motor tax, car insurance, health care etc are not so great ..

On the positive side, its a good place to raise kids as schools are free with good education system.. work life balance , annual leave , maternity leave etc are nice benefits..

overall its a good place to live with family if you have a housing sorted ; not a place to make quick bucks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Did you have your meeting to discuss the 110,500?

yeah... but how can you raise the kids with that salary. for example if you have tow kids you will need a three bedroom house or apartment... when I think of the cost of renting that it makes me faint. you are right, if you have a home thinks will be much easier. Also I think the problem is caused by people also. why would you accept such a low salary. we have this in Romania too... great people with ten to twenty years of experience working for 2000 - 3000 euros per month. I don't know... I know a lot of great people and great software developers who sell themselves short and I am feeling bad for them.

No. They told me that what can maximum offer is 60000 before tax. I canceled the meeting and told them if they change they mind I am open to join the company for no more than ~110,500 and to let me know if they can make it work for both of us.

• Advertisement

I think that was not the best move but I was pretty sure that I will not get that amount, maybe squeezing a little bit more over the initial offer but knowing that I will not accept that I chose to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I apply for jobs occasionally in Dublin, as I want to return. The salary I've calculated for myself would be 75 K before tax as a minimum.

One bedroom apartments are often quoted as to be an average of 1500 per month, however that is as written an average, and in reality if you're lucky. Realistically you're looking at 1700 to 1900 per month for a one bedroom apartment, if it's supposed to be something halfway decent and presentable.

Also back in 2017 viewings of apartments were with 30, 40 or 50 others with no real chance of being the one who actually gets the rental contract.

And then there is the cost of food, car insurance, and everything else, with is higher than in other countries.

Dublin is an expensive city, and housing, especially rental is in very very short supply. Most foreigners end up in some kind of shared living arrangement with a bunch of strangers. A room with an en-suite bathroom is rarely under 1000 Euros and that is also if one is lucky. Most of these rooms are found on various facebook groups.

If for tax reasons, it has to be Ireland, and if you're in software engineering, than work from home will be the norm anyway, - so life in the country is the option. Or even faking an address in Ireland, and regular flights to Dublin from overseas for occasional meetings. Even though that is not wanted or liked by employers, it has been done before by others.

I went on a trip to beautiful Romania before Christmas and wondered why any Romanian person might want to come to Dublin to work these times. If you want to eventually buy a nice house in Romania, it would be good to try and make the calculation as to whether you would save better working in Ireland for some years or in a Romania/elsewhere. However it could be fun to live in Ireland for some time and build up a portfolio of experience in your field of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This isn't an A&P issue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement