Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Do you really think that these scum bags are fans or even actually watch Star Wars?

I don’t know what messages were sent to Ingram,Tran or Boyega but that they were about skin colour is enough to know. I didn’t know about Lloyd or Best until recently - that people ranted about the characters yes but not that those guys were personally

However, this kind of thing doesn’t match with the fans I see when streaming Star Wars Celebration over the last few years.

Cheering and hollering at the sight of Lucas or other actors. The dressing up. Etc.

I know some people are different in real life to how they behave online but I can’t imagine the folks at Celebration doing those hate messages.

Have Pascal, Morrison, Weathers, Wen or Esposito had this muck directed at them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I don't really have a problem with the characters or the acting. Just the storyline.

It's essentially a buddy movie. That but it's fine. It's this torturous trying to tie back to other stories.

Where did he claim that.

He just said it's poorly scripted. I agree with him. It's also been a common trait in these Star wars shows.

If people enjoy it and aren't distracted by it fine. Each to their own and all that. I really liked Kumail Nanjiani part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

Obi-Wan Kenobi head writer Joby Harold reveals that the Darth Vader village scene in episode 3 of the Disney+ series was originally even more extreme.

Harold insists that it was "a thousand percent the intention" for the audience to be scared of Vader in this scene. The writer even went on to say that "It was a lot more extreme, at one point," but "I got pulled back a little bit on that," likely due to how violent the character and the series is allowed to be.

So toned down for a younger audience?

I don't think every movies has to be Saw 5 to be for an adult audience.

• Advertisement

He claimed it in the original post that I quoted - and didn’t say “poorly scripted” in that post so don’t puts words in his mouth. He doesn’t like it and I wouldn’t either.

You are quite welcome to join a conversation, anyone is here of course, but you should read back on that conversation beforehand. Another person shouldn’t have to do the work for you.

Where is the “tortuous tying back to other stories”?

i haven’t seen any of that?

The scene was plenty violent and “extreme”.

Vader went beyond anything he did in the original films.

Am I welcome, jeez thanks forum police :)

Its my interpretation, and I don't care to change it, or slavishly quote line for line. You do the work you feel you need to, Padawan.

• Advertisement

The age ratings of the movies always wandered around. Which I thought slightly odd. Its not the only Franchise to do that though.

Epipode III is kinda dark in many ways. But then its Vaders story is dark/grim. Thats what Lucas turned the story into. I would have gone a diferent way, but here we are.

Thus far Obi seems ok. No series is perfect.

I wasn’t in not policing the forum. Just suggesting you actually educate yourself on a topic before getting in.

Your “interpretation” of the conversation? That says all that is needed to know about you I suppose.

Mod edit: infraction added

Post edited by pixelburp on

I don’t because it isn’t there.

As you admitted in that other other post you are not into what is true and what is false. You just make stuff up.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Christ, another thread that's getting derailed like the Moon Knight one....

Not by me. I'm done with that line of discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I have Spon Farmer on ignore this past month. Has made boards much more bearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I mean Star Wars is for kids first, the family 2nd... ask Dave

Or George

“Remember to make these stories hopeful. Remember to give that to kids because they really need it.” - George Lucas to Dave Filoni

I knew about Star Wars but I was only about 7 or 8 when I first sat down and watched one of the films - the empire strikes back. It was at my aunts, I had to stay over alone while the family went through some ****. It has become a comfort film now, whenever I was moved around growing up I played the move while I unpacked. The rebels always had to be on the move

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The "family friendly" moniker is always a bit of a trap as depending on what way you look at the thing it can seem deeply childish but adult at the same time. So both critics and supporters can find ample evidence to back up their points of view. Pixar are masters at this, their films frequently "about" adult (or at least, adolescent) themes while wrapped up in hinjinks the kiddos can enjoy.

Part of the perspective problem is that for a lot of us, we grew up with Star Wars so sometimes the expectation perhaps is that that franchise matured with us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Kids thses days couldn't care less about Star Wars. Stranger Things has been proven to be more popular than a show dedicated to one of the most beloved SW characters ever. Stranger Things with all its gore is for kids and adults alike.

I watched the originals on release. I remember a younger cousin having nightmares about the carbonising scene with Han Solo. They were Family movies though.

When I watched the Phantom Menace and all the hype and merch on that release I felt it was mostly definitely more aimed at a younger audience. But revenge of the sith definitely isn't. Since then I'm never sure exactly who they are aimed at. Pg13 ?

Maybe my quibbles with OBI will even out as the show goes on. Ewan is normally a good bet.

Maybe, Stranger is definitely popular with with the 12ish age, mostly girls though from what I hear. Mando and Obi it's the boys of all ages at least in my own circle. Which might not be representative. No idea.

Are there any viewing demographics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There are certainly darker, gorier things out there content wise but Star Wars isn't trying to be that, and never had tried to be that. It's not afraid to chop off someone's arm, head, or upper torso, commit genocide and whatnot, and the existence of something gorier, more violent or gritty that also happens to be popular, doesn't mean Star Wars has to change what it is to compete with that.

If the marvel movies are anything to go by the target age demo is from 25-40. I definitely think more adults than kids are watching kinobe

IMDb seems to agree with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Waow, what happened aha, 60 new posts. So i watched epi3 on friday...ahye i am done with this aha. I may still finish it and if I do, I will watch the last 3 episodes in one go (and with my fast forward button), couldn't care less anymore really. My official verdict for this show is 'OOF'.

Again, I don't think the actors/acting are necessarily bad at all - is just that what exactly they have been given to work with?

The biggest OOF moment for me is when Obiwan decided to leg it when he sees Vader...why??? You beat him many years ago lmao. This all ties in to the nonsense that Obiwan completely abandon any kind of Jedi training (or meditation whatever) for TEN goddamn years.

The 'battle of the century' that we all have been waiting for....just like that? It does seriously resemble to those 90s super sentai production happened at some random quarry etc (cheers Johnny's post in previous pages reminding me of that lmao). All these are just too familiar...like when we see Luke throw away his lightsaber in some other disney production SW thing...

Why and what exactly is the rationale to deconstruct (destroy) yet another beloved character just like that?? Who exactly is asking for this? 😂

I can ignore a million things wrong in this show/production but at this point this show is just depressing.

(We went on to watch the Clone wars cartoon (HD and in compilation) made by Genndy Tartakovsky - super awesome to see Anakin and Obiwan there oh god that really cheer us up. Highly recommend that. Especially back then they were mini series/short clips to promote RoTS and now they are in compilation and HD).

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

An absolute abomination of a show. Terrible scripts, terrible performances, terrible dialogue, terrible cinematography, terrible score.

A few observations -

1. That chase scene in episode 1 was the most stupid looking thing in any Star Wars movie yet. Utterly incredible how this 10 year old girl is evading everyone, the Benny Hill theme should have played over it.
    2. Speaking of Leia, her dialogue is absolutely hilarious - she speaks as if she is 30 years old, and every so often they'll throw in a line of dialogue to remind you she is a child - but the damage is done. Hearing a 10 year old psychoanalyse a boy was so cringe and completely immersion breaking.
    3. Reva - the character is terrible and the actress is terrible. Just a total mess.
    4. Obi Wan - turned into a bumbling coward who cannot do anything right.
    5. The parkour bit in episode 2 was genuinely absurd - she was actively losing ground by doing all these stupid moves - and for what? she didn't get anywhere near them
    6. Which brings me to another problem - the show never makes it clear where anybody is! We have no idea how far away Reva is from Obi Wan. When Obi Wan fights Vader he embarassingly shuffles off to a different area and we have no idea how far he went. Just a desert with no discernable features whatsoever and the way the whole thing is framed gives you absolutely no clue as to the geography of the place.
    7. People teleport at will.
    8. In episode 3 Obi Wan disposes of 5 troopers, and when 3 more arrive he's like - nope, can't handle that. And he gets down on the ground and surrenders?! What?!?
    9. The fight between the two was so utterly unbelievable that I cannot believe it made it to the final cut. Every single thing about it was an abomination.

Ewan is doing the best he can with what he has to work with, and Joel Edgerton was good, but other than that - holy f*ck this is utterly pathetic. Disney just going to keep sh*tting all over this franchise it seems, retroactively polluting every loved character.

It's a show designed for adults to watch with their kids and buy stuff afterward.

• Advertisement

Advertisement