Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

I retract my comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's well established that Obi Wan, and the other Jedi that survived, basically cut themselves off from the Force in an attempt to survive, or simply because the shock of the events of Order 66 really messed them up.

Obi Wan hasn't been training for 10 years because he's been keeping a low profile, and frankly I am baffled by anyone who thinks that quick fight between Vader and Obi Wan was the big fight. It was episode 3 so they're hardly going to do the big battle so early. Meanwhile Vader has spent the last 10 years hunting down and murdering hundreds of trained Jedi. Right now, Vader is the better fighter.

They'll do the usual, Obi Wan and Vader will fight in E6 in the finale, with Obi Wan being more connected to the force and blah blah and it'll go well but not well enough for him to win.

There is so much wrong with this show, like Obi Wan destroying the pad on the gate in episode 3, instead of walking around it, or Reva's bizarrely long parkour session, but I think they're doing a good job of showing the damage done to Obi Wan since RotS

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Those messages are a tiny tiny % of Star Wars "fans", and do we really even know they are genuine ?

If Jussie Smollet did what he did, I wouldn't put anything past these people to stir controversy - they thrive on victimhood remember.

But assuming they are real, you will always get this no matter what, so why are star wars smearing fans when 99.99999999% haven't sent these messages ?

Her character is crap, her acting is crap, the canon is being breached.

The show is supposed to be about Obi Wan , it's not, he's a bit part ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

How do we know obi (and Jedi) cut themselves off from the force.

We know in one hope he still can use the force after a long time, so long he's almost forgotten his name. We in know Luke cuts himself off so they can't find him, but turns it on no problem.

I guess Obi will fill in these gaps.

That fence thing was so stupid. We were in stitches at that. But it made no sense to be out walking across across a land (visiting people) that had been cleared by the empire of people. We are not the droids you are looking for.

I'm not expecting answers. It's just full of this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

This not a terrible series or is it amazing, it's a 5 or 6 out of ten. A few things that they could have fixed-nobody having the ability to catch a little child of ten years old, the parkour thing, thought the grand inquisitor was cool but they killed him off too early, destroying the gate with the light saber when he could have just walked around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I do accept that plot point if cutting off from force is the only way to 'lay low'. But how do they explain the incompetency from Obiwan we have seen so far?

Like in epi3 he called 'Leia' when they are supposed to hide their identities when the stormtroppers, god it is so frustrating to see they butcher his character in every way possible - it was a good timing to use force persuasion or do whatever cool sh!t to resolve such a tricky situation. But nope - another rando character came out and saved the day. Overall Obiwan has been outsmarted (outran ahah) by this 10yo Leia in all 3 episodes. And things like I remember in epi2 he was asking stranger on the street for where to go ffs...

All these seriously ruined my moments on legacy SW stuff - like I can imagine what went through Yoda's mind now when he saw Luke in ROJ (fecking obiwan done sh!t on training on Luke)😂😂

It's like he had a breakdown and his personality changed. At least that's how I'm rationalizing it. Maybe the show will be him getting himself together back to his old self.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the difference is purely psychological, and it's as simple as that. Obi-Wan's broken. As one would be if their entire World Order crumbled overnight, at the hands of what they had assumed was their friend and brother. A situation where they barely escaped with his life.

Only typing this having seen the first two episodes, but the man has been haunted and completely beaten down. Owen's put-down about Anakin was simple - and true. There's no fight left in Obi-Wan at all, and with that probably comes a misalignment with the Force, a "back to square one" where he can't access it 'cos he's in his own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Luke turned his back on the jedi to become a sulky crank after he defeated the Empire and liberated the universe. So when Obi Wan gets the same treatment all I see is more garbage tier writing.. Master yoda remained resilient and dedicated to the jedi so theres no excuse for this portrayal of obi wan😈

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yoda didn't keep the Jedi code. He became a hermit, even by hermit standards, and lived pretending to be an utterly mad recluse on a planet somehow less hospitable than Tatoinne... til Like came along and shook him out of his own sense of ennui. Yoda gave up as well.

Obi-Wan made a mistake so bad it got children butchered, and his entire order destroyed. I think he has earned a little PTSD for the sake of a dramatic narrative. If he was quippy and kicking arse we'd be saying "where's the trauma?"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Obi-wan never had much agency in the prequels. The mistake with Anakin wasn't even his mistake it was Qui-gon's. Even the decision to confront Anakin wasn't his, nor the decision to hide and train Luke - Yoda decided all that and Obi-wan went along with it as ordered, even though a lot of it contradicted the OT. He remains much the same in the show. Bail had to travel all the way to Tatooine to persuade him to go rescue Leia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I saw that but it seems to be based on user reviews and not a more statistical approach. IMDB therefore isn’t capturing the under 13s

im not sure what you mean. Nobody has been smeared.

as for Reva I think it’s far too early to write off the character as flat, she’s been on screen for what, 10 minutes? At least finish the season imho

Except to be perfectly clear Obi Wan has neither defeated the empire nor liberated the universe. He’s a broken man with PTSD. Frankly, it looked like Darth Vader was just as disappointed that his old master had given up. Barely worth killing, you know?

If the prequels had a through-line, it was arguably that the Jedi Order had become complacent, arrogant and presumptive of their preeminence within the galaxy's pecking order. IIRC there was even a very fleeting line that their powers might have faded a little as well. Collectively, they all F'ed up royally really - including Obi-Wan. And while Qui'Gon was the one to force Anakin to become a trainee, Obi-Wan still spent the majority time with the padawan all the same. Where Anakin ended up was on Obi-Wan, even if he wasn't the best teacher for the job; understandably enough, hiding on Tatoinne Obi-Wan would have had a lot of time to consider where and when he might have trained Anakin poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Can you explain what you mean by McGregor “doing the best he can with what he has to work with”?

Yiu seem to be suggesting that the show is beneath him and he had no choice but to accept the script.

Which is absolute rubbish.

He is an executive producer and was heavily involved in developing the story and had the power of script approval.

So McGregor isn’t burdened with a project he doesn’t want - this is the Kenobi story he wanted to tell and this is the show he wanted to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FFS he we go again!

And unfollows another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I find it strange that people think that the show seems to have ended on episode 3 "What was that fight?". That was episode 3 fight. That was a broken man, a man who had lost almost everything. A man who failed and (until recently, thought) killed is brother. A brother who murdered children and was responsible for the destruction of his whole world. Anything he didn't lose, he abandoned in order to protect the family of the brother he killed.

Then he sees his brother, more machine than man, casually slaughtering innocents. He hasn't picket up a sabre in 10 years. What, he's supposed to be leaping about as if he was fresh from the academy? Narratively ObiWan had to start low before hitting rock bottom. He will climb back a bit but remember, he was still a hermit, laying low as a crazy old man 8 years later. He will still be on Tattoine. Will still be wearing the same clothes and known by the same name, Ben Kenobi (Way to lay low, Obi-Wan :) )

Personally, I'm enjoying the show. Has it issues? Definitely. Does it deserve the hate? No (IMHO).

Honest question: I ask this: What did people want from this? 1/2 way through the show, what would people want to have happened at this point? Not the last episode. Not the last scene, 3 episodes into a 6 episode run. I'm genuinely curious.

Personally the "bait-and-switch" of Luke for Leia I didn't see coming but it does make sense as a way of getting Kenobi off-world (And a way of distancing Vader from Luke) - I assume they will break out some Mike Drop that Vader knew where Luke is. Which would also make sense. I would have expected Kenobi to have some allies by now (Possibly some Force-Aware kid who barely knows they have abilities). But that, yeah, he'd have hit rock bottom by now (Maybe bested by someone who shouldn't have had a chance with Kenobi at his prime).

• Advertisement

In fairness they all had misgivings about Anakin from the start. Most of the Jedi could fairly say "told you so".

I think people got it in their heads that these 2 wouldn't see one another until the finale.

But this was them sizing one another up after 10 years, and the disparity? Huuuuuge. I think Vader actually wants a legitimate rematch with Kenobi, he wouldn't want to just kill him off as a shadow of his former self, the one that he's actually enraged with, not this hobo.

It is my figuring we would have seen them face off again in Episode 6, with Kenobi back in touch with himself a bit more. Reportedly, however, the 6th episode may be getting reshoots and edits to accommodate a now 2nd season of Kenobi. But, this has yet to be confirmed imho. Possibly this means we get a completely different episode 6, but I still imagine they will bout, if anything they'll just change things to not close out the possibility of season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

But this was them sizing one another up after 10 years, and the disparity? Huuuuuge. I think Vader actually wants a legitimate rematch with Kenobi, he wouldn't want to just kill him off as a shadow of his former self, the one that he's actually enraged with, not this hobo.

It is my figuring we would have seen them face off again in Episode 6, with Kenobi back in touch with himself a bit more. 

Yep,

however, the 6th episode may be getting reshoots and edits to accommodate a now 2nd season of Kenobi. But, this has yet to be confirmed imho. Possibly this means we get a completely different episode 6,

Hadn't heard this. Interesting. But yeah, even if there is, they'll have to have a proper bash in episode 6 of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As I said before, go to their profile, click ignore and all their nonsense goes away.

No the “nonsense” is still there, you are just hiding from it.

Probably one of those people who thinks when you close your eyes others can’t see you.

I think there were better ways to say, I'm a mess and not ready to face him again.

Just need to ignore the 5/6 other accounts they post with as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

While Ben's explanation of the Force to Luke, who is older, is more academic, Ben's words to Leia, who is younger but wiser than her years, are simplistic and emotion-based. Ben's Force description to Leia is better suited for a child to grasp, yet it speaks volumes as to both his audience and Obi-Wan's current emotional state. The Force, to Ben at least, makes him feel protected - highlighting a vulnerability in Obi-Wan Kenobi's titular lead that has largely dissipated by the time of A New Hop

Do people actually need this explained? Thought it was a touching moment in the episode.

Off- topic: -

While the character's story came to a dramatic end within Star Wars, there is one way Harrison Ford could return as Han Solo without de-aging tech. ~~ Link ~~ Would Ford even want to reprise the role? ~~ Anyone get the new comic?

Advertisement