Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

uhh , Yoda never gave up and the mad man act was a ruse to test young Skywalker. So right from the moment Luke arrived , Master Yoda kept the Jedi code as he was determining whether or not Luke was worthy of his training. Yoda was in exile for his own protection , but he never gave up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Those websites survive on these kind of stupid “explanations”. As far as I can tell thr they explain the ending of every mainstream movie.

And it was a great moment between the characters.

I also the love “grandfather maybe” comment Leia made Kenobi said to pretend he is her her father.

The is adorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭Christy42

I enjoyed it.

Yep the chase scene was a little cringe but also this is star wars with enemies that can't shoot 5 feet. The show probably could have grown up a bit from the original movies in that regard and left it out. Leia overshoots her age but less so than Anakin and they need to have within 9 years of a senate seat, in fact I am pretty sure she was a senator for a few years before ANH. Maybe it is a force thing, maybe a family thing but she has to act old for her age or it doesn't make sense.

Reva is fine as a character. She needed some story and they need someone to get Kenobi out of sitting in a cave for 6 episodes. Vader is out since he can't be seen to lose as often as is required and not seem weak and incompetent. So Reva comes in. I suspect this is also part of the reason for the fight scene with Vader as it again builds Vader up more when the series as a whole has to have him come up short in killing Kenobi. It also gives Kenobi a chance to grow a bit through the series and actually have a fight later on.

It isn't perfect or a historic show or anything. I just treat like marvel where I can have it on and enjoy it without overthinking the details too much. I think the quote Hamill relayed is "Not that kind of movie". Obviously I can see why others want something different from the show and wouldn't enjoy it, this is an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sure but I don't think they were trying to make him look heroic or nothing. They needed to show him being a mess not tell us he's a mess ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

what days are the episodes released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

nice one..👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think they showed the script is a mess more than obi is a mess.

But I'm content with how people have explained it here. That's calmed my ire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

I can only speak for myself but I find a lot of the time people mistake, or incorrectly conflate, criticism with not liking the story, the general idea, the themes, or whatever.

I think with Obi-Wan, the core story is nice and simple, while dealing with some decent themes and his personal struggles. My issue is with the execution; the mediocre script at best, the too-often cheap looking sets, the often hammy actors, the constant illogically dumb stuff that could so easily be avoided like Obi-Wan not just walking around the gate. It's just one example, but it's one of many.

It has good points. Ewan McGregor is doing a good job with what he has. Joel Edgerton was really great as Owen in the first episode too. The actual core plot of Obi-Wan being broken and learning that Anakin is not just alive, but has become something even worse, is 100% solid. The Reva character I don't mind though she's not a great actor but it's not a deal breaker for me personally. We need more "human" Imperial adversaries because at the end of the day they're still just people too, not just mindlessly evil wretches, even though most of them are just that in all the shows.

It's one thing Rian Johnson did well, the shades of black and white and a battle being of two opposing forces, ideals, aspirations/dreams, whatever, rather than just good guys v evil guys. It's more of that I would personally like but again, in itself not a deal breaker as generally, Star Wars has always been about good and evil really.

It's the inconsistency in all aspects of the production is the killer but it's not unique to Obi-Wan, it was at its absolute worst in Boba Fett and it does feature in the Mandalorian as well though to a far lesser degree. It's not just scripting, it's direction (particularly action direction), acting, sets, everything.

There's also the question of how these shows manage to rotate between looking million-dollar and budget SyFy channel so often, and very often within the same scenes, let alone episodes. It's hard to understand how shows like Strange New Worlds, The Expanse, and others achieve a far slicker, cinematic, high-quality feel then these shows do with far less budget. Again, a problem that Mandalorian isn't immune to either, but it's certainly far, far more visually consistent at least.

And lastly to address the "kids are the main audience" angle as well - Star Wars has always had kids at its core, always will, but that doesn't excuse poor story-telling. Some of the cartoons - most even - are even more angled at kids and they have some great plot lines.

So generally, I've zero problem with the story, the themes, or what they're trying to say and show - it's entirely with how they're saying and showing it is my problem, as well as telling the wider story.

Every episode as they've played out so far could absolutely have been far, far better with better direction and scripting, even if the individual scenes remained identical. And I just struggle to understand how they're not being better made because it certainly is not resources.

If Mandalorian is an overall 8/10, and Boba Fett (for me) was a 5/10, I'd say this is more like a 6.5 so far, but there's just no good reason it shouldn't be an 8 as well. I would not say it's bad or even close, but falls a good way short of what it easily could be.

I get a sense it will feel full as 6 episodes, unlike say, Mando, where each episode was its own piece of chocolate prior to the finale. There's certainly a lesser grade here imho but I still like it.

Early days I guess. I've still confidence it will be be decent.

I enjoyed the first part of Bob o Fate. The finale of that was cringe though. More A-Team.

It's not that we need it explained. It's that its we didn't like it. I think the girl is doing a decent acting job though.

Really don't. Who people ignore is their own business. No need to share, just do it and move one with the conversation your interested.

Only positively vibes people.

What's the story with the Droid and Hammer. Programmed by a Jedi?

A source of memes for years but on the whole, will age well and be beloved, unlike the Sequel trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

True.

It's a show I really want to work, but there are problems when it's about beloved "classic" characters.

That's why the Mandalorian was so good, completely new characters - apart from end of s2 of course...

I dunno I think Bobba will be "The Pacific" vs "Band of Brothers"

No argument about the Sequel Trilogy. Though personally I liked Force Awakens, even if its a remake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Absolutely it was, there was no time to mess up a classic beloved character :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

What's the craic with the tunnel scene. I assumed the reva would run into the other bird but somehow the other bird gets out to help obi and reva turns up at the other end of the tunnel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

@PokeHerKing More than one entrance/exit to that tunnel, which wasn't explained or shown.

No idea. Love to hear the theories.

Well they needed her to write Kenobi an escape clause, right lol.

Here's what I think happened, having just rewatched for this query: Reva finds the tunnel, and the carvings on the wall incl. the insignia of the Jedi Order (she gets big grr at it), and she looks down the tunnel with a look like she sussed out where the tunnel inevitably led - the starport; this hideout is part of an underground railroad for force users. She didn't chase them down the tunnel at all, I think she left the hideout and beelined straight to the starport via the overland route; your one made it back out the tunnel frontside and delivered the plot armor to ol' ben. A 10 year old with a head start didn't beat an adult somewhere, just as a note to the haters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This lad covers that.

It's long, but he covers all the glaringly obvious mistakes and inconsistencies with this episode in detail.

I would have to agree. From letting Leia run rings around him and into situations that never should have arisen in the first place, to Vader just standing there as Obi gets carried off after only a few moments earlier using the force to both physically drag him and control the flames.. It just makes no sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭Christy42

I guess figured the star port was the only place for it to go. Might be quicker to go directly than the tunnel which was presumably built for quietness rather than speed.

After all if an adult had picked up the child and ran it might have been harder to catch up with than letting the child run along themselves (that bit did bug me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A lot happier with todays episode than the last 3.

A better name for this might have been the adventures of leia organa they could make a series a year right up to rouge one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Starring Jacqueline Ingrid Bouvier

Advertisement