Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

So because Star Wars has always had such low standards, you believe that Disney are simply, and purposely continuing the trend? Star Wars is doomed to languish in writing hell with its perpetual plot holes and ropey dialogue, with absolutely no chance of an upturn in quality, ever? That seems absurd, to me. I'll never accept that Star Wars, under Disney with the resources they have available, shouldn't be striving to be far better because of some past reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Think its more a case of Disney throwing money at shows, hoping enough sticks and making buck on it - too kid orientated and it shows in the lack of any thought in the shows they produce - it's all very lame, simple story, no thought to any kind of reasoning or logic. Ms Marvel at the moment seems fairly decent but definitely aimed at the young audience

I dread when Daredevil et al make a return

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'WandaVision' showed creativity and there was good fun with what 'Loki' did. Perfectly good shows.

I think their most recent 'Star Wars' shows have been a bit bland and forgettable though. The lack of logic doesn't bother me in that, rightly or wrongly, I never associated 'Star Wars' with smart. I get the point it could strive to do better but it's never going to do something like 'The Expanse' because that's not the target audience for this. They'll play it safe, especially when hundreds of millions are at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭MOR316

You're living in cuckoo land if you think Disney or anyone else for that matter are going to resolve the plotholes in the franchise.

It's one giant plothole. They make it up as they go along.

The writing in Star Wars has been cack since Empire. The plot and storylines have been cack. The prequels were cack, the acting has been cack, the writing has been cack, the majority of the characters have been cack.

And this is coming from someone who is a big fan. I've just come to the conclusion that it's always going to be the way and it's best just to enjoy whatever moments I can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

But that in itself does not absolve the writers of poor writing.

A few small tweaks could have made this show much much better. It feels like a non writer came in to force additions that didn't make a lot of sense in order to ensure Disney kids enjoyed it and to set up some possible side story spin offs, and keep this cash-cow a churning.

As was pointed out earlier, I really fear for the talked about new Daredevil series (hopefully Charlie Cox stays well clear).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭MOR316

For clarification purposes, I am not absolving Disney of any blame from a writing and production perspective.

I am just merely saying that this has become the norm with Star Wars so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, nor should anyone have expected anything less

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 4 and back to soemthing a bit more underwhelming, with a mixture of rather clumsy and unconvincing action sequences, and weird choices already lampooned; specifically, Wade RIP. It wasn't especially fun or thrilling and nothing landed, especially after the impactful "fight" between Obi-Wan and Vader.

The action scenes though. Man they were so poor; not expecting John Wick or anything but again, Mandalorian did it much better most of the time, often with some thrilling set pieces on a par with a blockbuster (such as that episode with the battle atop a giant truck, the vehicle itself volatile and could explode ala the classic movie Wages of Fear. Great stuff). Here, it was and has been slow and telegraphed, shuffling about some corridors; Deborah Chow maybe could have benefited from a better editor to patch it all with more heft and speed.

Reva is starting to wear down my patience as well. I have never seen the actor in anything else that I recall, so can't compare, but her range and projection has been really forced; here especially when presumably trying to exude menace during interrogation. It's like she was always one slip away from simply saying "grrrr" by way of affecting evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Why do they insist on filming everything so dark these days.

Lost complete interst in that finale episode as I could see half of it because it was so dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Quick question what the heck is the motivation of the Reva character? (Episode 6)

Ok she was after Obi so she could lure in Vader? Okkk doesn't make much sense but grand....but...why did she want to kill Luke?!? Then totally change her mind.... The actress was fine but the character was so poorly written.

Yet again another character left half dead to make a comeback zzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They're filming it with a very high dynamic range, and either creating multiple masters from that or it's Disney+ converting it to SDR on the fly, considering you're not complaining about washed out colours I assume it's a HDR TV with a decent colour gamut but even then it might not be capable of the same highs and lows to give clear detail in dark scenes.

Same as with some detail being lost when they intend for it to be viewed on HD screens, such as rain just making everything a bit blurry when on SD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

6 short rushed episodes

A handful of decent scenes throughout but a really shít series overall.

Will never flick back over it and will never enter a thought in my head again after today.

Terrible.

• Right where to start,

Obi-Wan should have tried to kill Vader at the end. . The fact the Kenobi just left him there, knowing he will go back to killing loads of innocent people is just stupid. They could have had a scene where Vader runs to his ship and flees before Kenobi can deliver the final blow.

Also did Vader not think that Kenobi would be able to climb out of the rubble he left him in, he's a Jedi for god sake

Finally how did Vader not die after getting his mask cut off??

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Read an interview on tvline saying they would explain away Leia acting like she didn't know Ben. Was that line about "No one can know" it?

Reva using some previously unknown teleportation tech to get from where she was to Tatooine and find Luke while the space chase, which I'm assuming started right after the end of the last episode, is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Since the prequels left their ugly paw marks all over cinema screens, I have considered myself a bit of an old cynic when it comes to Star Wars. I enjoyed the sequels but they came and they went, and that was about it. I thought Mando was great, BOBF less so. So I had mixed feelings about this when I heard about it. I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

Yes there were some issues with the plot, cheesy moments, etc. But I feel like this show has helped to reclaim some of the ground that was lost with the prequels. That final episode was brilliant. I found myself welling up when Obi Wan told Anakin/Vader he was sorry for everything. The look of despair on his face as he finally realises there is no coming back for his old padawan...

We got our 'hello there' moment too, loved that. Let the naysayers at it, I really enjoyed the show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Or at least release it in Winter, not right on the summer solstice. I had the same problem with Loki last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

@TheIrishGrover Clip from final episode.

They seem to have wrapped up the show with that episode? Will we see a second season or a 'Reva' spinoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Perfectly fine episode. Fight was cool, dialogue was fine for what it was.

But the one really, really REALLY annoying thing (and maybe it's just my TV), why the fcuk was everything so dark? Difficult to make out who was in what scene.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I think it is easier, quicker and cheaper to do CGI for dark scenes compared with bright scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Have to say if nothing else these Disney outputs handle Vader well. Awesome moment between Darth and Kenobi in this episode after a wonky interaction earlier in the series. Some overdue respite for Hayden Christensen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I can't help but feel like people are extra harsh on this, partially because it's Star Wars and there's this built in expectation around it.

Now, I love Star Wars, even though the originals are pretty average, the prequels were largely disastrous and the sequels were just a mish mash of ideas connected vaguely, with some insanely wasted talented actors thrown in too.

Obi Wan was okay, it was good. I think everyone watching it was really only watching it to see the Obi Wan vs Vader showdown, and no matter the side plot, we really wouldn't have cared so much.

The directors and writers made a lot of silly mistakes here. Just simple, dumb things (such as Obi Wan destroying the gate console instead of walking around it).

But, I enjoyed that last episode. The duel between Vader and Obi Wan was amazing. The voice mixing between Anakin and Vader, Vader straight up saying he killed Anakin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree. I do think people sometimes look at the original Star Wars with rose-coloured glasses. The Empire Strikes Back is generally considered to be the best, and that film had the stupid parts of the Falcon flying into the giant worm's stomach, and C3PO getting split in half on Cloud City. Return of the Jedi had a bunch o' bullsh*t too.

I'd take anything in Obi-Wan Kenobi over those parts. Well, the parts of OWK I could see. The DOP on the show was definitely a fan of the Dark Side.

I enjoyed the resolution to everything. Yes, dumb decisions made throughout the show, but I don't think there was anything egregious bad or terrible. I thought Reva's story worked out well too.

It would be interesting to see if they do go with Season 2. Would likely revolve around the formation of the Rebellion, but Obi-Wan and Vader's ending worked well and there's little else for them to explore there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

The voice mix of Vader/Anakin was the highlight for me. It was perfectly executed and there was something unbearably sad about it when you heard him speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The duel was enjoyable and the confrontation after Anakin got half his mask blown off was the highlight of the show. I expected Vader to say I have the high ground now when Kenobi fell into the crater.

That was the good. The bad was Reva's redemption ark which was written by dummies. Disney have the money to hire the best of talent to write a good plot-line for their diversity character but this nonsensical rubbish is what they churn out. Sad.

The show as a whole was just crap. It won't be long before the memory of it fades away into nothingness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

Haven't look at much reviews of it yet. This pop up on my google feed.

But is the below site, just a paid shill for the show?

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2022/06/review-obi-wan-kenobi-part-vi-delivers-the-best-of-ewan-mcgregors-obi-wan-in-satisfying-continuity-preserving-conclusion.html

^^ How James Earl Jones Became the Voice of Darth Vader ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

An half decent finish to what is all round an embarrassment of a show

The sense of doom and will they/wont they make it feels completely deflated knowing they don't die

The cut scenes in the fight were nearly on par with Liam Neeson in Taken and the constant shaky camera would almost give you motion sickness, a sure sign of cheap production and talentless people behind the camera

Reva - yet whatever

Only highlight was the Leia actress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

What was the point of having Hayden Christensen in the Darth Vader costume, they could have saved that money and used it on better writing.

The fight was fine (I'm not even going to bother picking holes, Obi already done that and got out) but why did they break away mid fight to show us Reva, that was terrible editing.

I think Disney/Marvel/Star Wars has broken me, perhaps I'm no longer the intended audience but either way Mando is likely the only one I'll watch when it returns going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I doubt he would have cost much to be fair...

The Mandalorian was excellent.

Boba Fett was absolutely dreadful... embarrassingly bad...the biker gang WOW.

Obi wan was a bit of a mess with some decent set pieces but overall a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Maybe I'm easily pleased but I have absolutely no gripes at all with that episode, I thought it was excellent. Overall not a bad show but not as good as it could have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

and that's the finale! Decent ending. Season was alright. Had some low moments but also had some very strong ones.

6: Now THAT was a fight! I had almost guess they were gonna play it safe.

but NO, BOOM ROCKS! Then it's on! and the force powers and the fight and then Vadar .. half in mask, half out of it and combo voice!

That was cool!

Up till that point I was like.. not much gonna happen here, the only real unknown is what happens to Reva.. and then her story felt more of a setup to appear in the future.

Also liked how they tied stuff into the story to link to the films later.

Stuff like Vader saying he killed Anakin and Leia changing up to take more responsibility and all that.

Future: not sure this will get/need a second season direct.. but could more see the stories of the characters continue elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Whatever about how the Star Wars folks do their motivations in their stories.. and maybe past shows/films influenced me that way but.. the message the show gave to me was

she was going to kill Anakins/Vaders kid and that was her motivation

felt right for a Dark Sider. The choice and journey not to do it felt right for someone changing paths.

Advertisement