Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seeing them in that interview, I would think Hayden was the elder of the 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ozmo

Is it my tv I wonder but was that last episode so dark (as in lacking brightness) for everyone. I had turn up brightness to full and I could not make out anything in the ship, nighttime desert and fight scenes… most of the episode.

its just standard Samsung 50” lcd (not hdr and not oled).

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I’ll say it again, but the VFX are shockingly below standard in this. The Star Destroyer chase at the start of episode 6 was something else. It had all the weight of a cardboard model pulled by a string. Terrible show overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The only Disney Star Wars effort that was a showcase for special effects has been 'Rogue One'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭MOR316

I enjoyed it. It has it's flaws but, I've come to realise every Star Wars fan has beef with every production, excluding Empire. Which I explained earlier. Is what it is...Jar Jar Binks was criticised and I remember Star Wars fans describing him as underrated...Is what it is. Darth Maul was cut in half, died and is brought back to life. It's utter **** so you learn to go with it.

Anakin had a leg left in the prequel on the operation table...Doesn't in this..."Canon"

If I had to be bad, I wish Obi Wan had said, "This is why you were never a Jedi!" during the last battle. For me, after him talking about his anger and thirst for victory in the prequels, that would have hit home for the character of Vader and come "full circle" for some of us

I saw a quote to one of my posts, basically saying because Star Wars was written badly, doesn't mean Disney have to. They were right, it doesn't...But look at what they were left with in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭fran38

The point of Reva was to invoke some of the BS woke nonsense ie: female person of colour character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

Nope, both of his legs were cut off in the prequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭MOR316

Must watch it again. Could have sworn he still had one leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ozmo

Saw this fan fixed version of the last fight on youtube - brighter and uncut and better music

colours and details are still a little muddled but still more watchable than watching on the Disney+ tv app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrMnD2uYw0I&ab_channel=CineVore

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

Christ, that shaky cam gets worse every time I see it. Just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I must not say "You don't have a leg to stand on."

Dammit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'm guessing it won't be long before people start making edited movie length versions of this. It's what it should have been really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Personally I don't think it should have been made at all, it adds nothing but yet takes away so much from Star Wars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

^

Sounds like someone wrote a character and the Disney execs got in the way and fucked things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Me'h.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 5 and we're back to the stiff, awkward action I guess. The siege looked bland; no flourish, no energy. Once again I found myself thinking: the Mandalorian was far, far better with its set pieces. This was Syfy Channel level at times.

Very poor stuff; the highlights though being the flashbacks to the previously unseen spar between Obi-Wan and Anakin. It added effective retrospective context to Anakin's slide into the dark side, far better than the prequels themselves ever managed.

There's good material in this redress of the prequels, these various moments of PTSD Obi-Wan dealing with the "death" of his friend and the latter's obsession to humiliate and destroy him. But it has been surrounded by some tedious, almost cartoonish bollix. A nonsense plot, mixed with idiot moments like errant tree branches or giant trench coats.

And people in this world need to stop walking away when they stab someone. Finish them off FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

As someone who thought Ep1-4 were ropey at best - and I went into detail previously so I won't backtrack - I thought Ep5 and 6 were much stronger. It's a pity the whole thing wasn't that strong and as committed to such a strong theme, but it's always good to end on a high note.

• Advertisement

It has all the hallmarks of storytelling by committee. It was probably a decent story to begin with, in part anyway. Then every so and so in Disney with some sort of "title" on their name got a hold of it and screwed it up. For instance, it's abundantly clear that Vader originally killed Reva. I cannot, for a single second, believe that that scene was written as it was shot. Someone decided that "well we can't kill off this character" for some dumb reason and she ends up living, even though Vader will choke the life out of someone for dropping out of lightspeed too early.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The reason she wasn't killed seemed clear to me, based on how this franchise's business model works ...

Spin off!

Jusssssst in case the character has enough viral traction, Disney probably won't let any named character within the main cast die - might get some Content out them after all.

TBH, I think once I finish Obi-Wan methinks we'll cancel the Disney sub. Bar a few outliers like the Hulu stuff, it really is just low effort MCU and Star Wars. Andor looks interesting but again, it's just a spin off and prequel. The channel seems singularly allergic to anything but Big Hits. My appetite for two series I deeply loved throughout my life has been blown out by low effort and repetition - and it actually saddens me.

I know many here get all salty about negativity, but Star Wars has an important, genuine place in my heart and I'm not angry, just disappointed the franchise now treads water so much. It's a universe with so much potential, squandered too often these days. I miss the Expanded Universe days TBH

Post edited by pixelburp on

It's a spin off that will be thoroughly rejected by a lot of people judging by the over all reaction to the character. She was absolute shite and I'd say Disney are rethinking that particular idea intensely. I'm not sure that there ever was any real plan for a spin off in the first place.

As for her place in the show, she was probably one of the few characters that could have been killed in 'Kenobi', which is why she was written in to begin with. As I said earlier, I cannot see any writer worth his salt writing that scene where Vader and Co. just walk away leaving her alive. There's no way that was on the page originally.

As for Star Wars, I grew up with it, so it occupies a certain cinematic spot for me. But I just don't really care any more. At present there's four good movies and a decent TV show in 'The Mandalorian', which will no doubt get fucked up in time. The rest resides in the meh or absolutely awful bins. I'm just astonished that Disney has managed to make such a dogs dinner of the whole thing since 2015. It's quite amazing really.

I'm still hoping that 'Andor' will be good, but the track record has been very dicey to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,902 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Since the arrival of Obi Wan and Boba Fett shows, it appears that The Mandalorian is already getting remembered nostalgically.

For me, people are remembering it a lot better than it actually was. I'd agree it was much better than any of the 2 latest shows, but it had plenty of weak points too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH at least there was the hint of a narrative arc to Reva’s character, even if they fumbled the writing. No interest in a spin-off whatsoever, though.

The Mandalorian season two was for me more egregious with its spin-off setups - parachuting in characters for an episode or two just so corporate could announce a spin-off a few weeks later. Mandalorian was a better show overall, of course, although season two is often deeply mediocre and frustrating - and it being a vessel for ‘franchise extension’ was a major reason for that.

I think people are just looking at how low the bar is and if anything is even mildly entertaining it gets a thumbs up. 'The Mandalorian' was grand. It was entertaining and had a decent hook. But it certainly was never top tier.

Certainly, but what it had going for it was top tier set pieces when they worked. You could tell there was an intent to go "right, what would be a good action sequence for this scenario?" and had some decent ones, with good direction. Season 2s increasing dependence on cameos of famous Star Wars characters got tedious - and I'll maintain the finale was as bad as anything from Boba Fett.

It was nuts and bolts storytelling though, with a simple premise and structure. No coincidentally, it was also a show without any previous tether to the films (bar season 2). It never felt as slapdash as the other, subsequent shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I'm seeing Kenobi season 1 mentioned on a few different places online...is there gonna be a season 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Still haven't watched the last episode but ya Reva didn't die is truly beyond my lowest expectation to the whole disney SW - how naive i was aha. (i was right that she actually went on to catch Luke - in the most ridiculous way that i heard...)

I heard that Kennedy actually handpicked the final script (refused a couple of scripts before that), I am not in the slightest surprise. The themes and shite we have seen since the sequel trilogy are just so all very familiar.

To me, same, SW used to mean something to me (original trilogy was my childhood, prequel trilogy honestly wasn't great but i enjoyed them when i was young, Jedi is still one of the coolest creation ever) - it deeply saddens me they didn't even give a damn to their 2 most iconic characters (Vader and Obiwan), what more hope i can give to this whole Disney SW thing aha. They just want CONTENTS, they are literally treating the franchise like some locked up milk cow being squeezed by machines.

Dave filoni stuffs is the last hope (the best new SW stuff that i enjoyed since a long time ago actually was Bad Batch ha). Andor...maybe but i have really low hope now as from the trailer everything just looks too familiar to the production of boba/obiwan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Yes we heard the confirmation around episode 4/5 time iirc as it is the most watched series on D+. So yes the horror will go on - i cant wait to see the rating on season2 actually. Supposedly they are planned for 3 seasons...

Advertisement