Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

She shouldn't have to, but Moses Ingram needs to get off Social media ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3: Decent episode. Some good nods to a lot of .. well lots and lots. Definitely had a jaw dropping moment when

the storm trooper got laser gated into two! 😲 Did not see that coming!

Anyhow.. Vader on the board but feeling a bit I dunno.. clunky.. not powerless but seems to be moving .. not cautiously.. maybe consideringly?

Anywat.. Stupid Freck! 🙂 I assume Freck is now the Frak of Star Wars 😁

3rd Sister definitely rising up towards certain death .. as is the way of the Dark Side .. I'm half guessing she'll take care of those other two if they don't get taken out for other reasons.

I liked the growth in Leia after only two episodes. That whole revealing her feeling about running. That was done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So now I'm wondering did Palpatine set Vaders gaff up on Lava planet away from everyone else to avoid him walking down streets massacring everyone.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

The writing is so bad on this. The next time Obi-Wan and Vader meet I fully expect Vader to tie Obi-Wan to a table with a laser moving towards him with a 30 minute countdown, and still not manage to kill him.

I think I'm done with Disney now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

Haven't watched the show but can already see the corporate 'star wars fans are racist' is trending in the media . . . so if anyone wants to furnish proof that said attacks did actually occur (I'm still waiting for proof of the Kelly Marie Tran alleged abuse) please share . . .

otherwise I suspect it's the same Last Jedi movie / show under performs => fans are racist Di$ney bullshit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

< deleted post >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Moses Ingram posted a few of the comments she's received, quite literally direct racist comments, on a recent Instagram story.

I'm curious why you believe this doesn't happen? Bullying and abuse of many kinds have been reported widely for decades for actors in Star Wars, such as Jake Lloyd.

By all means, Kelly Marie's character was so badly written, and frankly pointless but there's no denying the fact that some (not all) of the abuse was racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

On watching the first 2 episodes it just reminds me that the reason the 3 prequels were so bad in large part was to these two clowns acting

McGregors is off the charts bad

Christensen, I presume hasn't working since then, oh wait he was in jumper and was equally bad in that

Considering how long it took them to cast him, it must be the worst casting in history

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought the third episode was very weak, but it got me wishing these TV shows had a bit more visual flair. I know they don't have the resources of the films - although I'm sure they're very generously funded by TV standards - but so far the shows have come across as looking rather cheap and generic, as if they were shot on random backlots and backroads.

While the action and CG is noticeably iffy in this show (that Vader / Obi-Wan encounter... oof), I think the Mandalorian also suffered from being rather anonymous stylistically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Actually there was 1 very good thing in episode 3....James Earl Jones, seems a bit pointless why have Hayden Christensen in the suit though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's ok but very disappointing. The potential is there but so watered down. It should have been a film. I actually think the writing is fine. The main problem is the direction. It's so bland and uninspired with weird shifts in tone. I'd say the budget is there it's just not ending up on screen. The casting also isn't great. Ingram is spectacularly miscast. I feel sorry for her. The actress playing Leia is good but too young - she looks 7 or 8, not 10. Christensen in the suit isn't working for me either. He's not tall enough and Chow doesn't have the skill to hide this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Too much Star Wars about. 8 movies in the last 20 odd years, Clone Wars, Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Obi-Wan and with 24 episodes of Andor to come.

Much like Batman, too much of a good thing.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

It wouldn't be too bad if there was consistent quality with their output, but they've had what... Rogue One, the final season of Clone Wars and The Mandalorian that have been the only genuinely good products of Disney's tenure, so far. Even then The Mandalorian gets way too much credit, as it's a decent show at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I want to like it and there are good moments so far but like others have said it has been flat in areas. One of the biggest issues for me is the soundtrack, its totally uninspiring and just doesnt feel like star wars at all especially in the big moments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I like The Force Awakens and love The Last Jedi (but I'm not getting into that again 😅) but everything else has left me lukewarm at best.

Grogu is undeniably an ingenious creation and the smartest thing they've come up with for nu Star Wars. But The Mandalorian is definitely 'decent at best' for the most part, and has only gotten worse the more it has dived into the expanded universe and Skywalker crossover stuff. It was at its best as a fun 'bounty/mission of the week' sort of deal with a light overarching story. The endless cameos and spin-off set up in season two were Disney Wars at its most cynically 'IP-driven'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

otherwise I suspect it's the same Last Jedi movie / show under performs => fans are racist Di$ney bullshit

And you would be wrong. You ARE wrong.

There is a long and VERY WELL documented history of racist abuse aimed directly as non-white actors in Star Wars. A very simple search will point to any amount of articles about this abuse.

I LITERALLY typed in "Star Wars actor racially abused" and turned up THOUSANDS of articles. Not hundreds. THOUSANDS.

So I decided to go back a bit. I limited it to Jan 1 2017 to Dec 31 2019. Just to go back a bit away from the most recent bile:

LINK: star wars actor racially abused - Google Search

So you are 100% incorrect. Irrefutable evidence. And it took less than 1 min including specifying time-frame. It has been mentioned by certain people here that this is some sort of corporate coverup. To hide a poor show behind some made-up racism. There is not. This is incorrect and this is just PROVEN lies. Above is 100% PROOF that these people have received horrific amounts of racist abuse from so-called "fans" (They are nothing of the sort. They are racist bigots who tarnish fandom with their vile racism).

love The Last Jedi (but I'm not getting into that again 😅)

Pssst. I know. I thought TLJ was probably the most interesting Star Wars movie since Empire. It had flaws but was certainly interesting and potentially game-changing (That was.... Well, we all know what happened. Not the thread for it)..... I could have done without the pointless Leia floating back in bit. They had a PERFECT exit for the sad loss of Carrie Fischer. But anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Mixed 3rd episode. Lots of good stuff with the journey to the port and the troopers... "When I look at her I see her mother". Neat shot with the trooper getting sliced in half. Vadar arriving was up there with his appearance in Rogue One. He is brutal, so good. Obiwan's reaction added to it too.

My only gripe is Vadar just throwing in the towel with Obiwan within reach just because of a bit of fire WHICH moments earlier he showed he could easily extinguished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

I think they want to make it seem like Vader enjoys the hunt, the cruelty, but most importantly a challenge. What he got from that encounter with Kenobi, something he wanted and seethed about since their duel on Mustafar, was not at all what he expected and was deeply unsatisfying. Someone who hadn't continued training or raised a lightsaber in ten years and who kept trying to avoid a fight by running away is no challenge to him. Kenobi knows he's going to have to do much better to be able to deal with Vader, and Vader is willing to let him realise that, try to get stronger and be more of the worthy opponent Vader expected him to be.

That's just what I gleaned from him letting him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Halfway point and looking like it's gonna fall on the disappointing side TBH, which while not entirely unexpected, it'll be a shame, if there's not any ramp in quality.

McGregor continues to be fine, albeit the Obi-Wan of the prequels and the originals only seems to appear fleetingly. Already have concerns with the inconsistent state of the character as a whole, but willing to let things slide until the story is told, but appreciate most of what McGregor is doing, especially those little moments of him remembering the past.

Unfortunately, he's on his own, as near everyone else is all over the shop whether on screen or behind the scenes. Just so many issues with regard to plot contrivences, weak editing, poor casting decisions and, overall, frankly a weak story outline which is already mapped out in front of you. Lot of this goes back to the writing decisions, and general production, and that's before going near the actual ill-conceived idea of pursuing this story to begin with.

Maybe it colours my view somewhat, but I do seem to come from the POV of needing this show to justify itself first and foremost, and probably entertain second. It can be done successfully, as Rogue One proved, but it's a hurdle that this show is struggling with.

From the outset, I've worried about how they'll get across a confrontation between Obi-Wan and Vader, as in my mind, its always been a no-go area pre-A New Hope, so that was going to be a major stumbling block. Perhaps unfair, but unavoidable for me. So, its very hard not to feel somewhat disappointed with most of Part 3. But Disney wants Vader on-screen, so we're getting it, whether it's the correct narrative decision or not.

So much felt 'off' with their meeting, that it's hard to pin it down to one thing or another, but mostly, although it seems obvious, this clearly wasn't the Vader you've known. Some creative work was going to be required to hide who it was in the costume and create the villain, and while some decent voice work was thankfully there, this Vader never 'felt' right for lack of a better term. Far, far too early for them to meet as well IMO, too random in the plot, and lessens the impact of what was already going to be a near impossible task in my eyes. A slower buildup was required and I was delighted with how they used Hayden Christensen early in the episode and hoped that would become a feature in the next couple episodes, but it seems that might not be the case now. Should have been the only way he featured IMO.

No point getting into the minutiae of the episode with regard to the little annoyances around Vader not pursuing at the end, the inability to walk around a laser barricade, the assumption of multiple tunnels that allow the Reva one to avoid meeting either of the ladies etc etc.......be here all day otherwise, but it's a byproduct of a ill-conceived story being made to flesh out the core directive of having an Obi-Wan-Vader reunion. Rest of the story is just.......bleh !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

That's not what anybody should glean from the scene because Lord Vader made his intentions for obi-wan clear which was to subject him slow torture and eventual death. There's no ambiguity,he came straight out and said it.

Saying he let him go out of an act of good sportsmanship is making excuses for a poorly conceived show👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You might be giving them too much credit. It's possible you've given this more thought than the writers did :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeah, that's what I took from it too. Obi-Wan is beat down at the moment - Using guns, punching people and he's clearly no match for Vader. Was LITERALLY beat down in their fight. He wants a proper fight with him at his best to prove he (Vader) is better.

As for whatshisname in the Vader costume. (If it is him or if he's just there in the flashback/"hallucinations") They move quite differently than David Prowse (Younger, I suppose). It just looks a TINY bit off to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There does seem to be a level of make it up as we go along scenes. That said, there was more menace in the voice of a 91 year old coming from a body whose actor should remain hidden for the whole thing than any glower or eyebrow raise that Reva makes. But yes some goods bits in this, mostly with McGregor and kid and their continuing story. Reva, though, as a character is just a lost cause and IMO no writing will save her. Probably still worth watching till the end of the series but with a moderately low bar of expectation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Acosta

The production values are a bit ropey

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

Can you at least name and shame a few of the more prominent examples of this?

Who exactly is perpetrating these attacks?

Everyone talks about "The Fandom" but honestly if it's really "The Fandom" dishing out this abuse then what I'm expecting to see is something like one of the people from Collider on YouTube or the guy from the StarWars Theory channel going nuts and being racist.

Otherwise the real story here is that it's nameless, faceless, trolls behaving terribly online but with nothing at all that actually links them to Star Wars fandom.

Loads of articles about this abuse but not very much by way of naming and shaming the abusers.

If anything I would say the most prominent and most obvious examples of racism that can actually be pinned on a known individual or organization comes from Disney themselves.

'Star Wars' China Poster Shrinks Black Character - Variety

Chinese poster for Star Wars: The Force Awakens minimises role of black actor | Star Wars: The Force Awakens | The Guardian

The above wasn't done by cowardly little idiots hiding behind anonymity online. It was done by the same bloody people who made the movies!

LOL. Could you imagine if "XBoxJedi6969xxx" on some forum somewhere had posted up Star Wars posters with the only non-white character minimized or removed? Haha. "Oh my god the fandom is so racist they are actually making Star Wars posters with only the white actors in prominent positions!" When Disney does it? Ah sure, it's the evil fandom. Please.

I'll ask it again. Can you actually name someone who is prominent in Star Wars fandom who has been caught racially abusing actors or staff working on these movies? Can you actually give a good example?

• Advertisement

I'll respond.

No. I will not give names. Does that mean it didn't happen?

Done with this conversation

Advertisement