Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

I'm not denying that it happens.

I'm questioning why it gets dropped at the feet of "The Fandom" and it's implied that the fans have to somehow "do better" but when push comes to shove nobody can give a name or a direct quote attributed to that name.

Definitely if someone were to show that one of the prominent Star Wars channels on YouTube or a prominent Star Wars blogger or forum had known people openly abusing actors and getting away with it then I'd be thinking there is something rotten in the heart of the fandom.

Otherwise I think people can condemn the abuse while also acknowledging they have no idea who is actually sending those messages. Instead what we see is some vague commentary about "fandom" and some vague implications that not liking the shows or movies might mean you are one of those racists or sexists.

As soon as you are pressed to give a quote attributed to a prominent Star Wars fan or commentator or prominent poster on a forum etc you just run away? OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I liked the third episode, mainly for Vader who comes off as menacing. There are still problems with it, though. Reva is such a bland character as are most of the antagonists. Why they have to be portrayed as such cartoonish villains is what I don't get. You could make her more interesting with a love interest, or perhaps a child she's longing to be with, or maybe some back story about her wanting revenge, or something. Instead, she just comes across as bad for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The sh1te being posted in here by a certain few is far far far worse than any of the poor acting/writing/production value (??)

Just watch it , if you dont like it, fair enough. ffs...

just enough of the Barry Norman / Dave Fanning impersonations...... 🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Enjoyed that but OBW badly needs a Rocky training montage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I avoided any spoilers on this so it's probably been discussed a lot but having Obi Wan meet Vader is a huge mistake in my opinion but so typical I should have expected it. There will be a certain percentage of fans that will love that. In general the show itself is ok. There are issues with Leia spending time with Obi Wan (hey look Obi Wan just died and Luke is sad - oh well he seemed nice). No problem with her being sassy but being able to psycho-analyse her cousin was a bit much. As to Moses Ingram she is fine. Not the greatest actor but the writing is probably the problem more so than her. I hope for her sake she doesn't get the backing Disney/JJ gave Kelly Marie Tran when they made their response video (Rise of Skywalker) to Rian Johnson's diss video (Last Jedi).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Poor oul Obi Wan needs to brush up on his Lightsaber skillz

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

All opinions are welcome here, don't castigate others for trying to express theirs how they see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

All opinions here are welcome - well thanks......

and then you tell me what to do !! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It shouldn't need explaining that insulting others' attempts to discuss the show isn't on. So yeah, don't attack others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Start thread.

Don't post opinions.

Thread Win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

After Reva's revelation, a shocked Obi-Wan was visibly disturbed as "Part II" cut away to end on a shot​ of Vader awakening inside his bacta tank. 

"The great piece of storytelling you can use is getting to Ewan play the moment of realization that that which haunts him is still alive," Harold said. "And what does that mean for him? There were many avenues that I could take him down, all of which hopefully are good opportunities to tease out story as we continue. But it all comes down to, is it viable within canon to play that card? Which it was."

It doesn't explain how 'Reva' knew Anakin was Vader?

Stunt doubles used for the fight but "Christensen confirmed he suited up as the Dark Lord".

Edit: - Sorry I thought I already shared the below link in thread.

Post edited by corkie on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have a lot of issues with this show, but I did quite like the scene where Leia was able to 'own' her cousin. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but to me the scene showed how naturally in tune she was with the force at that early stage. She was able to read emotions and manipulate people, but in a very simple, crude way... without the formal training of a jedi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The first encounter between Ben and Vader was underwhelming. Not the writing (well, kindof the writing), I was on board for the episode, the mole guy all that jazz. What underwhelmed me was they have a fight at some gravel pit, and not an interesting one either. These people fight in these amazing places, like the plasma facility where Darth Maul fought Obi Wan and Qui Gon, or in the rain on a pad on Kamino, the great hall of a separatist flagship, whatever that place was Obi Wan fights Greivous, etc etc or the steelworks of Mustafar.

A feckin quarry you found around the corner from the studio? That's what it felt like. I was very disappointed in this decision.

Secondly, a limitation but a choice: how they filmed lightsaber battles varies from both the original and the prequel trilogy, they're using the same techniques from The Mandalorian here - they're using physical prop lightsabers that are essentially overly fancy and expensive hollywood grade LED bars with hilts attached. It's great for the environment lighting but that's about it, as weapons it's going to be hard to smack them together. So it makes sense for a number of reasons why their fight is not as crazy as the one on Mustafar or most of the prequel fights where they primarily used steel props that were drawn in as lightsabers in post-production (so, no lighting effects off the sabers usually without more post-effects or production lighting trickery). These LED bars can't be swung or smacked violently. According to McGregor recently, those sticks were very prone to bending and had to usually be swapped out between shots, not the kind of fight you can crank out in one night by bring the crew over to a gravel pit for a bit of cat and mouse and a few moments of crossing blades.

It's my hope they have something more special in mind if these 2 have a more deserving duel in the next few episodes.

The most annoying part about the LED bars though is if you've noticed, you rarely see a lightsaber extend/retract on screen. You won't catch a whole bunch of classic "blur" on the swings either (which was even further exaggerated in Clone Wars). And you will notice in the Prequels that the edge of the lightsaber blades all have stronger primary color on the shell than the core.

With LED you get none of that. It would be up to them to draw it back in in post-production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It just occurs to me that this may be the first, of these star wars shows, to budgeted under Chapek’s control. Which would explain the cheapness and general jank of the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So in ROTJ when Leia says "my (real) mother died when I was very young.... very beautiful" All she can remember are images and feelings. "Kind, but...sad" etc is she talking about Padme or Breha?

Padme died when she was about 10 seconds old so she cant remember her. And surely a 10 year old would remember more than images and feelings of their mum knowing them for 10 years if shes talking about Breha?

Budget for Episode III even if you adjust for inflation, starting in 2003, it's just a $178M budget ($113 M)

I've no idea what the budget for this show was. But the budget for S1 of The Mandalorian was $100M.

... without further elaboration, I think it's fair to say budget constraints weren't the problem here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mandalorian was under the old regime before Chapek centralised all budgeting for all divisions. Pissed an almighty amount of people off with that.

interesting... i dont know anything about this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly the Vader / Obi-Wan fight setting reminded me of those old low-budget Japanese shows that were filmed in random quarries.

The filmmaking below might be more dynamic than what we got in Obi-Wan 😅

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Interesting... I definitely noticed that McGregor was holding the lightsaber oddly and keeping it extended when it would usually have been retracted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The show would be greatly improved if Obi-Wan could summon his giant mech to help in fights:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm enjoying it anyhow.

I'm not overthinking or overanalyzing it, and couldn't care less about social media.

The only 'perfect' thing in Star Wars anyway is the Mandalorian but even that has flaws if you look hard enough (at brief times, first episode feels like a fanmade, imho) or have to explain what happens to Carasynthia Dune after season 2 (I mean case and point, that finale and the CGI/de-ageing of Mark Hamill). Enjoy the ride, savor some stormtroopers being sawn in half by an old man and his surrogate niece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

At least we know now why Leia called her son (Kylo) Ben Solo, she actually had some history with the old wizard.

There is a point in SW during the Death Star prison break where Luke tells Leia that he is with Ben Kenobi and Leia seems genuinely excited about meeting up with him, so I don't think canon is too broken by them meeting up in the series

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Some parts of this episode were good, the Vader stuff, the castle on Mustafar, but they must really hate Obi Wan, he's awful.

Weak, hysterical - needs a 10 year old girl to guide him - this is not the OWK we know from EpIII, granted it's 10 years later but come on!!

And are they just going to ignore Luke in all this ?

Isn't OWK supposed to be watching over him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,251 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched it. After a slow start with the first two episodes that was much better.

The stormtrooper getting cut in half when he falls on the laser gates was really well done.

Obi one slipping up while on the truck. He was very lucky them stormtroopers were not better informed or smarter.

Really well done between him and Darth Vader

I loved the bit where he says

Obi One says: What have you become? and

DV goes: I am what you made me.

The only problem was we knew that neither of them die there so no winner or loser.

But ye Obi One was very lucky.

I think the cargo droid was more intelligent than your one made it out to be.

Oh that endings not good but I am sure she will get rescued soon lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

It's exactly it, criticizing Reva for being a bad actress is not racist.

But they just want to shut up genuine criticism of her by smearing it as "racism" - that scares people and will shut them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,251 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Is Reva third sister? If she is then I think she is doing a good job and have no problem with her. She is cold and has her goal to be leader of the inquisitors no matter how she gets it. She does not care who trys to stand in her way she will take them down like she already did with the lead inquisitor in the last episode. What more do you want?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement